Page 193 of 203 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2026

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    I picked up a new G34.5 and mounted a Holosun SCS. Sighted in then shot 100 rounds at 25 yards in controlled pairs.

I continue to be impressed by how well these Gen 5 Glocks shoot.

Estimated a 951/100 due to the misses in the 7 & 8 ring but those are all me.
    Good shooting.

I think you meant to type 951/1000.

Site Supporter
    30 round group at 20 yards with the finally completed 92 RDO slide. Was trying forever to get a 92 barrel and thanks to @03RN I got an Italian barrel and man does that thing SHOOT.

This was fired pretty much just as the dot settled and I called at least four fliers.

I have no doubt this gun is capable of a 100/100 on the B8

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

So I started loading mags at home to save range time. Not what I do normally but trying to get in and out. I shot 15 rounds, cold, at 25 yards instead of 10. This is with an Acro P2 but it really makes no difference compared to the 509T X2.

LAX Ammo 124gr FMJ

Had 2 rounds not light off today with this LAX ammo. Went off after I reloaded them. First time with this pistol that happened, and the primers looked to be dented pretty hard.

Later, I shot 10 rounds of SIG 124gr FMJ. I knew they were higher in POI and I could feel a more stout recoil.

I skipped lunch and had a coffee instead. It felt pretty shaky on the range and I am still not happy with my support hand grip. I have a brand new stock 2011 grip sitting in the drawer, hoping the bigger grip gives me more room. But thinking about it, I am trying to index my support thumb on something, and it can't be the frame since its so close to the slide release. I tried today to have it on the x300 and it seemed to work, but my hand was over rotated and I felt like I couldnt grip as hard. Maybe it needs to float in the air???

At some point I might ping the range owner, who was a master class shooter, and see if he can eyeball me for a bit. I am struggling. The sad thing, give me any G34 and my grip feels great. I ran into this with my previous STI (2019 Stac P) and ended up with a modified Gen 2 that I liked. That grip didn't fit on my older but currently owned STI (was news to me they made a change in 2019 or so).

Overall a decent effort for a quick range trip.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 12-18-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Took some time off work today to get some range time in before it gets really cold here next week.

I've been spending all my efforts on my new G34.5 and Holosun SCS combo. I've been playing with the dot trying to reduce brightness. Today I put a soft-sided piece of velcro over the solar panel. Shooting outdoors, but from a covered, shady location to a brighter location, this gave me a dot at the right brightness for my eyes. It's a bit of an annoyance though as I don't want to leave the panel covered full-time. I think this helped with horizontal alignment. Still working on the vertical stringing, but that's recoil anticipation mainly I think.

Overall I'm missing 10-12% of my shots, with those shots hitting the 7-8 rings. I've got to work on my consistency across 100 round strings. I seem to have random, but a consistent amount of lapses in fundamentals or concentration. I didn't shoot any set cadence or times today, but that didn't seem to matter.

Still the best of these two targets I counted a 965/1000 and a 948/1000 on the other, which is about 10 points better than with my G17.5 average.

Name:  IMG-0460.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  36.2 KB
    Name:  IMG-0458.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  37.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post

Overall I'm missing 10-12% of my shots, with those shots hitting the 7-8 rings. I've got to work on my consistency across 100 round strings. I seem to have random, but a consistent amount of lapses in fundamentals or concentration. I didn't shoot any set cadence or times today, but that didn't seem to matter.
    Perhaps a timing issue. Meaning you are managing recoil before it happens, very commonly referred to as a flinch, recoil anticipation, El Snatcho or a pre-ignition push.

Incorporating snap caps or dummy rounds into your training could be both beneficial and enlightening. Randomly load dummy rounds interspersed with live rounds into more than one magazine. Mix up the mags. Load a random mag and go. Take particular note of what happens when you encounter a dummy round.

If you have a flinch you will see it. If nothing moves continue. If you flinch stop, unload and perform 10 perfect trigger presses dry. Then continue with hot/dummy round mags. Rinse and repeat!

Take into consideration that 100 round strings can be both visually and physically tiring. Typically in all my training 3 10-round strings is the maximum before moving on to something else. The idea being visual patience and concentration has a limit. Then revisiting accuracy again after other drills.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    If you have a flinch you will see it. If nothing moves continue. If you flinch stop, unload and perform 10 perfect trigger presses dry. Then continue with hot/dummy round mags. Rinse and repeat!

Take into consideration that 100 round strings can be both visually and physically tiring. Typically in all my training 3 10-round strings is the maximum before moving on to something else. The idea being visual patience and concentration has a limit. Then revisiting accuracy again after other drills.
    This G34.5 can hold the 10 ring if I can. I do have a flinch or pre-ignition push, but it shows up intermittently. Small lapses in concentration. It's not something I get in dryfire or all the time, even in live fire. I need to intermix more live and dummy drills to see if that can improve things a bit.

I don't have the option to change targets frequently, which is the reason for the 100 round long focus. Usually it takes me about 20-25 minutes to shoot 100 rounds and there are about 30 minutes between target change intervals. So if I'm going to shoot 25 yds and B8's, I'm locked in for half my typical range session. It's tiring at times, but patience waiting for target changes isn't a virtue of mine.

Between last range session and this, I dry fired and worked on ball and dummy, then shot this with my G34.5 with no timer or cadence, just shooting until I got a bit fatigued & then taking a short break until the mag was empty. 10 mags, 10 rds. per mag.

Approx. 955/1000. Still missed 12% of my shots, so no improvement there yet with the pre-ignition push/flinch, but was able to tighten up the vertical stringing a bit. Not sure if that's just better precision with dot placement or improved trigger control.

Name:  IMG-0462.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  32.5 KB

Cold and on-demand

[/url]
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

With my primary G34.5 down and on its way back to Smyrna, I picked up a second G34.5 yesterday as a backup.

When I pulled my Holosun SCS off of my G17.5 to put on this new gun, I also realized why my accuracy had been getting sporadic with the G17. The screws holding down the optic, particularly the right one, had begun to back out allowing the optic to twist slightly under recoil. Good reminder to put down some witness marks.

I sighted in with 10 rounds then shot this target below. I think I need to move the dot a click or two to the right, but still shot a ~959/1000.

Best news of the day to me was that I was trying a mental exercise to give my brain something else to focus on other than sight alignment and trigger control, by counting slowly up from 1, with the goal of breaking the shot by a 2 count and it seems to have reduced my misses by 50%. Learning has occurred. Now I just need to reset my wiring.

Target is a little off center in the picture because the guy in the next lane over decided to shoot up my frame.

Name:  IMG-0467.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  31.7 KB

Pretty good except for those 4 that weren’t. 30 sec

Name:  5E0641C4-83F2-409F-96E9-E09DFD203342.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  56.7 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List