Page 189 of 203 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2024

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

25yds, 10 shots, with dot on.

25yds, dot turned off. Using my “low witness” BUIS. POI is in the middle of the optic when irons are aligned at bottom of window.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Name:  C1E44489-00A6-4F44-A4C0-60866A0367BD.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  38.5 KB
    Just picked up a used gen 4 Glock 19 summer special (front serrations, extended slide stop, Glock factory night sights) gun originally had a apex trigger shoe that i switched out to a new Glock 17 trigger and blacked out the rear sight and did this. Seems to shoot a bit high with the ammo I was using (147 Speer g2). Been like 10 or so years since I even shot a Glock 19. Did ok (shot a 48 dot torture drill the left hand killed me) I think I need to switch out the sights I really dislike the fat sights.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Brown Bear 115gr. Not the most accurate or politically friendly ammo. I've been sitting on a case of it for a while and need to start burning it off. Recently been shooting at 40 yards and think it helps out with 25 yard performance. Everything looks so much bigger at 25 after practicing much at 40. I need to pick up some real B8s. The red bullseye on these targets aren't super compatible using a red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Brown Bear 115gr. Not the most accurate or politically friendly ammo. I've been sitting on a case of it for a while and need to start burning it off. Recently been shooting at 40 yards and think it helps out with 25 yard performance. Everything looks so much bigger at 25 after practicing much at 40. I need to pick up some real B8s. The red bullseye on these targets aren't super compatible using a red dot.

There are some printable B8s in here, along with a lot of other good stuff:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ntable-Targets
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    There are some printable B8s in here, along with a lot of other good stuff:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ntable-Targets
    Thanks! I forgot about that option. I used the thread to print off FAST targets a few years ago.

I'm struggling a bit at 25 yards. I'm shooting a Glock 22, at a three tone color B21 target like this:

Name:  awt-tc-b21e-blue-l.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  25.7 KB

Sorry, I don't have any target photos for reference, and won't be able to take any. So far I'm shooting strings with 6 live rounds and 3 inert mixed in.

Im pretty consistant with my height on target. Its good. I'm stringing horizontally left to right. Mostly left, ocassionally a bit right. At the 15 it's more grouped and slightly left but not really any right.

I think I might be suffering from the "now" syndrom. I'm being instructed to prep, break the shot, pin, reset and then break again. "Slow down and get my hits" is the guidance. "Slow is smooth, smooth is..." you get the idea. That's very different from the USPSA with Beretta 92 I'm accustomed too. I'm more used to shooting with a constant all the way through trigger pull. When you add in the fact it took all day to get to the 25yd line shooting... my arms were worn out.

Any advice to get me back to shooting "soup can" size groups in the center is welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I'm struggling a bit at 25 yards. I'm shooting a Glock 22, at a three tone color B21 target like this:

Name:  awt-tc-b21e-blue-l.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  25.7 KB

Sorry, I don't have any target photos for reference, and won't be able to take any. So far I'm shooting strings with 6 live rounds and 3 inert mixed in.

Im pretty consistant with my height on target. Its good. I'm stringing horizontally left to right. Mostly left, ocassionally a bit right. At the 15 it's more grouped and slightly left but not really any right.

I think I might be suffering from the "now" syndrom. I'm being instructed to prep, break the shot, pin, reset and then break again. "Slow down and get my hits" is the guidance. "Slow is smooth, smooth is..." you get the idea. That's very different from the USPSA with Beretta 92 I'm accustomed too. I'm more used to shooting with a constant all the way through trigger pull. When you add in the fact it took all day to get to the 25yd line shooting... my arms were worn out.

Any advice to get me back to shooting "soup can" size groups in the center is welcomed.
    Have you tried shooting the way you normally shoot (constant pressure on the trigger until the shot breaks)? If your normal way works for you and you get back to “soup can” sized groups, the FIs will generally ignore you since they’ll need to pay attention to people doing much worse than you are. At least that’s how it was at both of my academies. If you’re shooting in a different manner from how the FIs are telling you, but you’re doing better than everyone else in the class, they won’t bother you because you aren’t one of the problem children.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Have you tried shooting the way you normally shoot (constant pressure on the trigger until the shot breaks)? If your normal way works for you and you get back to “soup can” sized groups, the FIs will generally ignore you since they’ll need to pay attention to people doing much worse than you are. At least that’s how it was at both of my academies. If you’re shooting in a different manner from how the FIs are telling you, but you’re doing better than everyone else in the class, they won’t bother you because you aren’t one of the problem children.
    I'm very firmly in the "not a problem" category. I'm one of 4ish actual shooters in the group. That said, I'm not satisfied with my performance. I'm also trying to remain the perpetual student and learn whatever they have to offer. I'm pretty rusty with Glocks and never been amazing at 25yds. My trigger technique with a 92 may not work with the Glock.

I'll take my G17 out to 25 and try a constant pull method sometime in the coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I'll take my G17 out to 25 and try a constant pull method sometime in the coming week.
    I tend to like a rolling break in a Glock. When I shoot it like a revolver or DA and don't stop moving the trigger once it starts, I tend to get predictable and consistent results.

When staging the trigger trying to snatch a perfect sight picture, I'll get inconsistent results as you mentioned.

Week 4: 100 rds. from the low ready w/2.5 second par time w/my G17.4. I'm breaking my wrist down/pushing forward and getting low hits, but overall improved from last week and tightened this up a bit.

Approx 50% hit rate in this 3.8" circle...slightly better than last week.

Name:  IMG-0424 (1).jpg
Views: 313
Size:  38.7 KB

User Tag List