Page 187 of 203 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2024

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

So the positive is my irons in my carry 1911 are zeroed to hit about an inch and a half off the top of the front sight. I don’t hate that on targets that aren’t black, especially with the front night sight being rather wide.

The negative is I can’t hold good elevation with a pumpkin-on-a-post sight picture, and I do not know how anyone does. My bullseye guns are zeroed six o’clock with a hint of light and the rest of my guns are sighted in to hit center on whatever fiber optic tube or tritium vial is living in that front sight.

Name:  F50299A2-CE56-4039-8D60-6593439D02B8.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  40.8 KB

Kimber TLE II, 97-4X, Remington 230gr Bonded Golden Sabers.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    So the positive is my irons in my carry 1911 are zeroed to hit about an inch and a half off the top of the front sight. I don’t hate that on targets that aren’t black, especially with the front night sight being rather wide.

The negative is I can’t hold good elevation with a pumpkin-on-a-post sight picture, and I do not know how anyone does. My bullseye guns are zeroed six o’clock with a hint of light and the rest of my guns are sighted in to hit center on whatever fiber optic tube or tritium vial is living in that front sight.
    Think about this. I'm not criticizing what you did, that's good shooting. If you want to make it better you need to analyze what you are doing and why your rounds did not impact where you intended them to go.

The 9 ring is 5.54″, 10 ring is 3.36″ and the X ring is 1.695″ in diameter.

You have a round at 11-o'clock and 5-o'clock. A 5.5" spread. Was your gun moving that much during your hold? Five inches of Parallel Shift Error, I doubt it. So therefore the induced error is more likely the effect of Angular Shift Error. Your sight alignment was not perfect when the shot broke.

I would concentrate on establishing perfect sight alignment and maintaining it through the break of the shot rather than a perfect sight picture. Obviously you need to be pointed at the intended target. Once you establish a good sight picture focus on sight alignment.

https://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Think about this. I'm not criticizing what you did, that's good shooting. If you want to make it better you need to analyze what you are doing and why your rounds did not impact where you intended them to go.

The 9 ring is 5.54″, 10 ring is 3.36″ and the X ring is 1.695″ in diameter.

You have a round at 11-o'clock and 5-o'clock. A 5.5" spread. Was your gun moving that much during your hold? Five inches of Parallel Shift Error, I doubt it. So therefore the induced error is more likely the effect of Angular Shift Error. Your sight alignment was not perfect when the shot broke.

I would concentrate on establishing perfect sight alignment and maintaining it through the break of the shot rather than a perfect sight picture. Obviously you need to be pointed at the intended target. Once you establish a good sight picture focus on sight alignment.

https://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter2.htm
    Believe me, I’m very aware there was vertical angular deviation. I was trying to hold the top of an unserrated black metal front sight level in the 10 ring on a black B8 in indoor range lighting. That was a visually gray mess. I had (thank God) decent light bars due to glare and was more or less guessing with the elevation. With this particular gun, with its fixed night sights, this exercise would have been much visually simpler with a light brown USPSA head box.

9 out of 10 ended up in a 3” tall group the width of the X-ring, so I’m not upset with the results.

I shot a few clean targets with my Model 41 during RF practice and several high 90s TF targets getting my match 45 sighted in and function checked with a new load. It’s much easier to execute consistently on a B8 with equipment made to shoot B8s.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post

Name:  F50299A2-CE56-4039-8D60-6593439D02B8.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  40.8 KB

Kimber TLE II, 97-4X, Remington 230gr Bonded Golden Sabers.
    Pretty sweet shooting either way. I had the hardest time just keeping everything in the black at first...but once I could do that, the hundos eventually followed.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Getting some rimfire practice with the 92 rimfire beretta, which has been both dead ass reliable and shockingly accurate.

It's helped me get along with even the vertec grip of the 92x compact, which is the 98/100 target.

If I'm being honest, I only called one shot low because I saw the dot dip a little...bit this was at a pace of just breaking a shot as the dot settled in.

The way these Berettas shoot, I might want to try dots on some other guns mayyybe.

Struggling the last 2 weeks since having the Rona. Muscle fatigue is unreal. Like, shaking after 10 shots. As such, I was excited to post this one up as the others were all low-mid 90’s. Keep grinding.

Name:  A8B59642-F5F4-46DF-B950-49C6EE438475.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  49.8 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Just put 5 rounds(1st round DA) through the RDO slide with the dot off just to see where the BUIS hit.

Really though...can I get a group like that shooting with the dot on please?

I havent read all the post and Im sure theres been some good info I hope im not repeating.
    Assuming you have good natural point of aim and alignment.
    Are you gripping the gun by your off hand to get your firing grip?
    Are you rolling your shooting hand into the beavertail forcing the meat of the web down?
    Are you stacking your fingers at the front of the grip.
    And every shot doesnt have to break. Its nice to have a table in front of you to rest the gun without loosing your grip if you didnt break the shot within the breath cycle. Its slow fire not timed fire.
    Are you ensuring there is no pressure on the side of the gun from your fingers and thumb?
    too little finger and youre pushing left too much pulling right.
    If it was me Id bring the range back and work forward.
    Shooting at 50 makes 25 easy.
    Whats your point of aim? Should be 6 oclock. It doesnt really matter where the group hits since you cant adjust the sights the only thing that matters is the group size.

Thats a hell of an exercise with such a compromised gun. I hope you post your improvements.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Decided to chase some hundo's but only got nunDOH's. Respectable shooting otherwise. Started at 50 cold because of Haggard and House conversing in the comments on IG. 617 all DA.

Left was cold at 50, right was after a zero correction and some warmup. 2nd group at 50.

Some highlights from 25. Didn't have any under 90 except one where i shifted zero too far where it grouped off the b8. Great day shooting the 617 though i fatigued after a full loading block and by the final group the stock trigger felt like a million pounds.

Final attempt i forgot to add.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Wow, that's some fine shooting. Keep it up. Your 617 looks great.

User Tag List