Page 17 of 203 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Nice work ASH.
    Thanks man, it's come a long way since I started this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Nice work ASH.
    +1 !!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Thanks man, it's come a long way since I started this thread!
    Now I owe you better results too. I'll try tomorrow.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    The horizontal stringing is interesting...probably a lighting/sight picture issue as I'm shooting in a dingy old indoor range. Snatched one low left. Target is a 4"x4" sheet from a Glock notepad.

Nice improvement!

So I was going back through the thread to track your progress and see what I can learn and I came across this:

Quote Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
    I agree with this. When I slow down to what seems to be slower than necessary when shooting for groups I post my best accuracy. Deliberately take time between each shot to breathe and relax your hands, arms and eyes.

Either that or just go back another day, and try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I get that proper bullseye is not rapid fire. On the other hand, if it takes me 20 or 30 seconds to break a shot with a service pistol, it doesn't feel like a skill that I would be able to use gaming or real world. I aim (sorry) for a happy medium of shooting at a slow enough pace to make good hits but at a speed that it is likely to be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
    When I shoot for accuracy I understand that it's not fast nor realistic for games/defense. There are other drills for that

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I know it's been a while but I wanted to clear up what I meant. I don't take 20-30 seconds to break a shot, I take 20-30 between shots to rest my hands/arms and eyes. Most recently I posted my best groups after taking 4-5 deep breaths with my eyes closed between shots.

After that zen moment, I come up on target and break the shot within a few seconds.

Just wanted to clarify that - hope it helps anyone that can use it!
    If not me, then who?

Managed a brief range session today. It started out crappy and ended quite well.

I decided to set my frame at 50 yards and used a B8 repair center for a target. My goal was to put 10 shots in the black and definitely nothing off the paper. Well I nicked the black once and put two shots high off the paper. Needless to say I wasn't pleased and decided that 50 yards wasn't happening today so I brought my frame in to 25 yards.

What you see here are the 10 taped shots from 50 yards and my first two at 25 yards.

My performance at 25 for the first two shots really encouraged me. Perhaps the string at 50 pissed me off enough to really up my concentration. Here is how the 10 shots at 25 panned out. 98/100 with 5X.

So I decided to end my range session on a high note. The was one of the best 25 yard groups I have ever put on paper.

Here is a 50 yard target I shot a while back which shows what I am capable of doing.

Based on today's performance at 50 that one from June was extraordinary.

I wish I had the explanation and understanding of what it is that makes you good one day and not so good another. Concentration? Focus? Vision related?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    ...I wish I had the explanation and understanding of what it is that makes you good one day and not so good another. Concentration? Focus? Vision related?
    He who controls this spice, truly controls the universe!
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

JohnO, excellent groupings at 25 and especially that 50 yard group from June.

I too struggle with consistency at times. Ultimately there's a lot that has to go right to maintain focus and execution through 10 controlled precision shots and on some days it's just hard to keep it all together. I can't tell you the number of perfect 100's I've been on the brink of, only to launch an errant round that screws the whole thing up.

Membership in the frequent flyer club is not without its perks, however. It offers many an opportunity for inventive combinations of curse words.

Name:  4-27-14 B8 SP-01 99.JPG
Views: 646
Size:  63.5 KB

Help a pistol n00b out - what exactly qualifies as Freestyle? One handed, no rests, or is two-handed allowed? I assume the "no rests" part is valid....
    "You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" Ogden Nash

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo

"Freestyle" = two-handed, standing/unsupported.

Supported shooting will be described as "supported," maybe "benched," "rested," or "from a rest." That can be done, in some form or another, from just about any position.

User Tag List