Page 163 of 202 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 2020

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by babypanther View Post

These runs were shot back in November. The interesting thing is that looking back at it I count 12 shots. I remember getting into a rhythm with this shot string and it just felt like everything came together, or at least the mistakes made by the dummy behind the gun were minimized.
    This take day was also the first time i cleaned the No Fail Pistol Drill. It was not shot cold however, and that is one of the checks in the box for a true pass on this. Still, my best day behind a pistol so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is that a JB weld version of the Warren tactical grip fin ?

In addition to the Warren sleeve, I've seen people run inner tube on the grip with either a 5.56 case or more folded inner tube in the same place.

I've messed with the Warren sleeve a little, my concern about it impeding support hand shooting turned out to be unfounded but I did not see any measurable advantage accuracy or speed.

What do you like about it and what did it do for you that made you want to do a semi permanent version ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is that a JB weld version of the Warren tactical grip fin ?

In addition to the Warren sleeve, I've seen people run inner tube on the grip with either a 5.56 case or more folded inner tube in the same place.

I've messed with the Warren sleeve a little, my concern about it impeding support hand shooting turned out to be unfounded but I did not see any measurable advantage accuracy or speed.

What do you like about it and what did it do for you that made you want to do a semi permanent version ?
    The material I used is Sugru, I bought it on Amazon. I have tried the Warren Grip Sleeve and also work with a guy that bought one after he saw mine. His started to get worn down and chewed up getting in and out of his marked unit, after I saw it begin to degrade I took mine off. I never had any issues with mine.

Where I got this idea was I saw a post on Patreon of Chuck Pressburg’s where he had Overwatch Precision add a hump to one of his glocks but they used polymer or something. The issue there was it was not a service they were willing to provide as it was to time consuming.

My recoil control on the Glock stems from using a nutcracker type of grip pressure, my fingers on the front of the grip are the pivot point and I use the heels of my hands on the backstrap as well. As I extend the gun out locking the weak side wrist and maintaining pressure on the front strap with my WH fingers it seems to force the hump into the meaty part of my hand under the thumb, and it feels like a giant gas pedal, if that makes any sense. I can’t remember where I got this from, I want to say a Ron Avery video or something. I have found this to be less fatiguing than the Vogel method of clamping both hands by rolling the elbows up.

Second group of 2021!

MKII with Riton MPRD at 25yds

Klimovsk Mil surp.

100-4x

Using the apex of the dot for precision, seems to short circuit my astigmatism...

Name:  20210103_114748.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  45.5 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

CZ Kadet on a 75B SA frame

I rarely go to the range anymore and I think the first time in 2020 was in late December. It's possible that I was really rusty since I don't dry fire but everything seemed to shoot to the right that day. I started at 15 yards and everything was just magnified at 25 yards as shown in the group below.

I went back today with some new targets with smaller aiming points and was more mindful of sight picture and trigger discipline.

I started from 7 yards and 5 shot groups were close to an inch. POA/POI seemed okay enough to not mess with the sights so i kept moving the target back during every cease fire. I'm fairly happy with the results considering that it was with cheap bulk ammo which is mostly all I have left. No way I'm paying 20 cpr for CCI SV or Mini Mags or 50 cpr for bottom barrel 9mm FMJ.

I used 8" Dirty Bird targets and the red center is about 38 mm and the X ring on a B8 is about 43 mm.

The 10 ring on the Dirty Bird is about 75 mm while the 10 ring on a B8 is about 85 mm.

The 9 ring is pretty close on both.

Quote Originally Posted by babypanther View Post
    The material I used is Sugru, I bought it on Amazon. I have tried the Warren Grip Sleeve and also work with a guy that bought one after he saw mine. His started to get worn down and chewed up getting in and out of his marked unit, after I saw it begin to degrade I took mine off. I never had any issues with mine.

Where I got this idea was I saw a post on Patreon of Chuck Pressburg’s where he had Overwatch Precision add a hump to one of his glocks but they used polymer or something. The issue there was it was not a service they were willing to provide as it was to time consuming.

My recoil control on the Glock stems from using a nutcracker type of grip pressure, my fingers on the front of the grip are the pivot point and I use the heels of my hands on the backstrap as well. As I extend the gun out locking the weak side wrist and maintaining pressure on the front strap with my WH fingers it seems to force the hump into the meaty part of my hand under the thumb, and it feels like a giant gas pedal, if that makes any sense. I can’t remember where I got this from, I want to say a Ron Avery video or something. I have found this to be less fatiguing than the Vogel method of clamping both hands by rolling the elbows up.
    Slight thread drift, I recall Ron Avery describing that grip as the “pliable grip” and there’s few high level USPSA and IPSC shooters that have described their grip similarly as well. Do you find your recoil control is similar with that style of grip compared to the Vogel method that emphasizes more side to side pressure?

I use more of a Vogel style grip as I find it really helps with the control of a 45, but I’m considering playing around with the grip you described as I find the Vogel style to be fairly fatiguing as well.

Great shooting by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Slight thread drift, I recall Ron Avery describing that grip as the “pliable grip” and there’s few high level USPSA and IPSC shooters that have described their grip similarly as well. Do you find your recoil control is similar with that style of grip compared to the Vogel method that emphasizes more side to side pressure?

I use more of a Vogel style grip as I find it really helps with the control of a 45, but I’m considering playing around with the grip you described as I find the Vogel style to be fairly fatiguing as well.

Thank you. I tried Vogel's grip and found it effective but very tiring, and it was causing elbow pain back when we were shooting .40 SW duty guns. The other issue for me was that mentally I would have to be checked in with the grip pressure, or the shot group would open up due to inconsistent pressure, whereas with this grip I try to treat the WH pressure as a vice, and it seems to remain consistent this way.

This is all done on the Glock platform, I have not tried this too much with my 1911. I wonder if the more oval shape of the grip on that platform vs the blockier shape of the Glock would affect it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post

If it's helpful at all, I found the Vogel grip to be less helpful for me on my .45s than the "Judy Chop" that is advocated by the likes of Mike Seeklander and Tim Herron.

In fact...this was a skill assessment stage from one of Tim's classes where I basically used his lessons (a big one being forming a grip correctly from the draw) and on the second run, despite not seating a mag correctly and having to do a tap rack, I was still able to beat my previous time on the exact same stage when we ran it the day before
    https://youtu.be/q-pGB6AmtRM

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last hurrah before shoulder surgery. Took my new G19.5 MOS/RMR to the indoor range. 25 yards, 147gr FMJ WSF handloads, first ten rounds, cold, freestyle slowfire. I called my very first shot low, most of the rest felt okay, but I'm pretty shaky lately with the bum shoulder ( its painful to put much pressure into a grip right now) .

I shot a bit WHO ( prep for the busted wing), at a bit shorter range just to get accustomed to weak hand shooting a bit more, then strung one out to 25 yards again for a slowfire cooldown:

I had previously not yet shot this gun/optic at 25 yards. I got a really good zero at 15 yards with my carry ammo before, and this ball handload seems to print just a skosh low vs JHP at both 15 and 25.
    Last edited by WDR; 01-11-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    First semi-respectable 25 yard target. Come a long way on this since I started trying it back in November or December. G19.5 MOS w/ RM07 and 124gr Federal American Eagle (I think - might have been 115gr Geco).

Name:  BAF652FD-5814-4A35-AEB3-EBE26CE1294B.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  43.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If it's helpful at all, I found the Vogel grip to be less helpful for me on my .45s than the "Judy Chop" that is advocated by the likes of Mike Seeklander and Tim Herron.

In fact...this was a skill assessment stage from one of Tim's classes where I basically used his lessons (a big one being forming a grip correctly from the draw) and on the second run, despite not seating a mag correctly and having to do a tap rack, I was still able to beat my previous time on the exact same stage when we ran it the day before
    https://youtu.be/q-pGB6AmtRM

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl1urjYlsZM

Looking back on these videos from Mike, this one is it. You appear to do very well with it!

User Tag List