Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Name:  5A972666-35C0-4F59-98B0-3957BF15A8FE.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  42.8 KB

Beretta 92F with PPU Range line 115 g

Name:  0C17EE55-DFD5-45AD-B02F-14E539647811.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  42.3 KB

That gun is a shooter. Really happy with it at 25 yards.

That’s hot!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Shot a 25 yd cold:

(wierd group up there by 12:30, isn't it? Almost like the sights went wacky)

Then shot a Dot Tourture

And a 2nd 25 yard target after the Dot T:

Thee sights were not adjusted between these targets. So I dunno what's up with that funky little group on the cold target

I did notice my dot seeming to disappear more and more frequently so I wonder if my RMR is going wonky.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Shot again today.

1st target cold, second target is after 20 rounds fired and a slight adjustment to the left.

It's strange my cold targets have tighter "pairs", but lower scores and I tend to put a few high and just right of center.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Shot again today.

1st target cold, second target is after 20 rounds fired and a slight adjustment to the left.

It's strange my cold targets have tighter "pairs", but lower scores and I tend to put a few high and just right of center.

I had similar issues when I was running a G19/RMR. Dot flicker and all. It revealed itself as being my RMR was loose and eventually launched from my gun.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

@Jay585

Which RMR and how is it mounted? I had an MOS gun with a Type 1 that had similar problems.

Direct milled type 2 has been good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    @Jay585

Which RMR and how is it mounted? I had an MOS gun with a Type 1 that had similar problems.

Direct milled type 2 has been good so far.
    Type 1 RM06 mounted on a CHPWS RECCE plate on a MOS slide. Screws have been smeared with vibratite, installed as per updated instructions. Original instructions were to torque to 10 in lb (IIRC), but apparently that was damaging the polymer plate so I disassembled the RMR/plate and reinstalled correctly.

I'm under quarantine waiting for my COVID test results and I've been terribly bored so went to the outdoor range yesterday. Pretty nice, only a few people and had a lane all to myself.

Shot a 25 yard cold with my G19+RMR

@Clobbersaurus seems to be good at diagnosing targets so I'm hoping he'll chime in here. So far in my 3 "cold" attempts I've gotten pretty good groups, but each time i end up with a group at 11:30-12 in the white. But I don't gete the same result when I shoot subsequent targets. More of the shots will be scattered around (but still in the black) and 2 or 3 shots in the white. It's baffling.

Tried my browning hi power at 25 too, my second mag of the day. Pretty sure it's an ex-Israeli issue and the sights are pretty well worn so it's harder to get perfect sight picture. Didn't know where the sights are so I held center of the black, which seems to be about right.

Then for shits and giggles tried the Glock at 50 yards:
    https://i.imgur.com/2FN4now.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Xce1hML.jpg
    Last edited by Jay585; 06-25-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post

@Clobbersaurus seems to be good at diagnosing targets so I'm hoping he'll chime in here.
    I’m not the best 25 yard group shooter. My typical cold 25 yard B8’s are low 90’s and I think my best ever was a 97-3X, so there and slow fire shooters in this thread that are better suited to diagnose your issues. Slow fire targets are a different animal than targets shot with a bit of speed.

Best advice I can give you is to focus on trigger press more than your POA. It’s not possible to hold the sight exactly where you want it, so align the sights, aim where you want it to go, and then focus only on pulling the trigger straight back. Your front sight will be wobbling around from your natural body movement, don’t try to fight it, just go with it and just focus on pulling the trigger.

Good luck.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I’m not the best 25 yard group shooter. My typical cold 25 yard B8’s are low 90’s and I think my best ever was a 97-3X, so there and slow fire shooters in this thread that are better suited to diagnose your issues. Slow fire targets are a different animal than targets shot with a bit of speed.

Best advice I can give you is to focus on trigger press more than your POA. It’s not possible to hold the sight exactly where you want it, so align the sights, aim where you want it to go, and then focus only on pulling the trigger straight back. Your front sight will be wobbling around from your natural body movement, don’t try to fight it, just go with it and just focus on pulling the trigger.

Good luck.
    I rarely shoot a dot equipped pistol but trigger press is where I put a lot of focus. When I have fired dot guns I did notice that the dot was seemingly harder to keep still while I was pressing triggers. Seems to dance wildly while a front sight doesn't seem to move much at all aside from the natural wobble.

I too suffer from high 12 o'clock 8 ring hits......like one shot.....will otherwise blow a 100-multi X......and for me it's a sight alignment issue. When I take my focus away from the trigger, I'll notice the front coming up too high out of the "equal height" zone. I'm not sure if that's heeling or what is going on. I am also bad about checking my work over my sights between shots as I can still see the hits at the 25 yard zone if I take my reading glasses off.

Welcome to the struggle.

Regards.

User Tag List