Page 139 of 203 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2024

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

@JHC thanks for that. Not sure if you had mentioned that before, and I picked it up along the way. I went through a time of learning from every shot fired. Asking myself why the shot went where it did, how the target / timer responds to my action. I don't believe Kevin B posts much anymore, but that is gold.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Great question. Kevin B taught me that shooting together. It's just different methodology with a slightly different purpose in mind. The over arching purpose I think is to learn something from each shot during the warm up - mostly commonly a 150 aggregate of 5 freestyle, 5 SHO, 5 WHO. I think it greatly improved my ability to call shots as I'd remember what I saw and felt in the shot and then immediately connected it to where I hit ie "yeah that one drifted right at the break" boom, sure enough, there it is.

Once I got in the habit I have generally carried it over to pretty much all of my pure slowfire and I shoot at a club where I have a bay to myself so it's feasible.

If I am shooting some portion of the Humbler, say 5 rounds in 10 seconds, repeat. I'd score each five vs shoot them both and score. Same for shooting reps of the 25 yard stage of the LAPD SWAT qual of 2 shots in a par of . . . from memory, 4.5 sec I think it is. Shoot two, score and mark them, log the result. Repeat.

It may or may not be the best way for any given person to shoot their very best group. I really couldn't say. Every 25 yard group I've put up here in the last few years has been that way though. Shoot one, holster. Go down to check and score, repeat.
    I believe I have figured out what half the problem is. The blankety blank wind in the state of Kansas. I shot three iterations of it today, two as my warm up, then an FBI qualification, and then one more to see if I could score a little better. I did make a couple trips back and forth each time, but not every shot. There were also times where I'd shoot two, three, or even four shots consecutively without really coming off target. It's a lot easier to not get drastically fatigued when you're not battling a 20 mph crosswind to stay on target. With these scores, I am just about proud of those scores in the upper 80's when the wind was blowing so damned bad.

One of these days, I'll drag a different gun out to shoot with, too. Heck, I might even take my most hated pistol.

Ironically, the first round I dropped the piss out of the very first shot. The second I had all 9 in the black and thought "don't jack it up", and what did I do? Dropped the 10th shot. Last iteration, I reeeeeeeally wanted all 10 in the black, and dropped the first shot. Go figure.

Name:  25ydFS2 7 20.1.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  55.9 KB
    Name:  25ydFS2 7 20.2.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  55.7 KB
    Name:  25ydFS2 7 20.3.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  52.9 KB

Last week I was bitching about heeling shots high. Well, at the recommendation of a couple of a couple instructors I was “engaging” my pinky for recoil control when shooting at speed. As I learned to say that has adverse effects when shooting for precision, at least as I’m doing it now.

Reverting back to fairly aggressive middle and ring finger grip and modest pinky pressure brought my group right back to normal:

Name:  BB7699F2-2F15-4C2E-9F33-D0F732B212FA.jpeg
Views: 436
Size:  21.7 KB

Not sure how to proceed.
    David S.

SA 1911 with 230 gr. Lawman

Name:  291557C6-AADD-4BC6-89B4-41D5E4F8EAFB.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  29.4 KB
    Name:  7CF8C87F-FB6D-432E-9C0A-6D4D44F5311F.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  27.6 KB

G17.5 with 124 gr. Lawman

Name:  96BC63F4-F11D-4D06-BF69-C81C18CD37BC.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  26.4 KB
    Name:  61A1A3EA-40B8-4507-994E-C44C18D722AB.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  30.6 KB

I seem to still consistently push Glocks to the left. We see a little bit of that here with the 1911, but I also don’t have nearly the trigger time on a 1911 that I do Glocks.

Shadow2, iron sights, <0.5s splits.

98 (3x), or maybe 96 if we throw out the edge hits? Anyway, I’ve proven to myself that I shoot better when I don’t stop between shots.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Shadow2, iron sights, <0.5s splits.

98 (3x), or maybe 96 if we throw out the edge hits? Anyway, I’ve proven to myself that I shoot better when I don’t stop between shots.

I hope you are on that Facebook B8 Marksmanship group . That's nice rapid fire. With irons. Was that two strings of 5 at that pace or a single string of 10?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

....Facebook B8 Marksmanship group .
    Is that a thing? I feel like that should be a thing.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Is that a thing? I feel like that should be a thing.
    Indeed it is. B8 development group
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

I hope you are on that Facebook B8 Marksmanship group . That's nice rapid fire. With irons. Was that two strings of 5 at that pace or a single string of 10?
    I didn’t even know that was a thing. Thanks, I’ve never done bullseye type shooting, but have been warming up with a B8 or two before USPSA practice. This was one string of 10. I’m pretty sure I couldn’t have done that if I broke it into two strings. There would have been some bias in another direction. Eg. this group was biased low.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Indeed it is. B8 development group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/496325434334917/

"Welcome everyone! The purpose of this group is to promote camaraderie through high standards of marksmanship. Anyone can join the group (and we encourage you to invite your friends) but you must qualify to earn one of our free patches. We will be posting drills at regular intervals. Every new drill comes with a new patch. Meet the standards and get a patch mailed to you for free. Once we’re out of limited run patches we move on to the next drill. Simple as that."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List