Page 138 of 203 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2025

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Stuck on 95s.

Name:  9CFF04FF-F663-4EED-AA9B-D16A67D2F5F9.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  42.0 KB

Low 90s SHO and high 70s low 80s at the long line.

Name:  E00A9C27-854A-45BE-9209-25B0B6029A6B.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  43.7 KB

Monsoon rain so I hoped I’d have the club to myself. No such luck. Everyone there wanted to talk when they noticed what I was trying to do.

I was nice but geez.... I came to shoot.

I needs more dry fire in my life.

Regards.

Never been so upset about shooting a 98-7x

HK P30v1
    Speer 147
    Night Fision u-notch
    25 degrees out

Oh what could have been

Name:  20200205_132034.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  22.9 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Never been so upset about shooting a 98-7x

HK P30v1
    Speer 147
    Night Fision u-notch
    25 degrees out

Oh what could have been

Name:  20200205_132034.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  22.9 KB
    Any idea which one was the low flyer? #10 maybe 25 degrees is hard on pistol shooting too.

That was exactly which one I pulled lower in that LB Operator group I posted a page or a few ago. I walk down and check and mark each hit as I've been taught and grown accustomed too. So walking back for #10 I was like "easy boy, keep it together"
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Any idea which one was the low flyer? #10 maybe 25 degrees is hard on pistol shooting too.
    It was my 3rd shot, dropped my elbow down a bit, and gave a slight flick of the wrist. Called it low and was surprised to see it on paper. I occasionally use a monocular to check hits, but that one was obvious. The remainder were all called center hits. After each shot I replayed the feeling / sensation and was able to duplicate. The Night Fisions, combined with monovision correction worked well that day.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I walk down and check and mark each hit as I've been taught and grown accustomed too.
    Hm, so stupid question. Checking each shot a normal thing? Somewhere I had read that it's preferable to not check each hit. Or is this just different methodology?

93-2X with Beretta 92G shooting 124 gr Lawman.

Name:  BB30D271-92C4-4598-8F1D-6CDBF93E97E1.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  34.4 KB

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Hm, so stupid question. Checking each shot a normal thing? Somewhere I had read that it's preferable to not check each hit. Or is this just different methodology?
    Depends on what you’re trying to train. I shoot a single string with no pauses, and do it fairly quickly (0.5-1s splits), because that’s the kind of shooting I want to get better at. I honestly don’t know if it’s better for scores to shoot one shot at a time. I don’t think it would help me.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Name:  IMG_20200202_171112.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  37.3 KB

99 followed by a 98.

Ruger MKIV 22/45 Tactical. Primary Arms 50K red dot. Loaded with CCI mini mags

I'm not sure if 22's are welcome in this thread but I was pretty happy about this. Very interested to see if I can repeat this next trip. Once it becomes repeatable, I will put the time into doing this with centerfire.

One interesting note: my right contact lens fell out during this range trip. I am left eye dominant and didnt want to get lead in my eye so I just rolled with it. I wonder if that helped my shooting by enabling better focus or something?

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Great question. Kevin B taught me that shooting together. It's just different methodology with a slightly different purpose in mind. The over arching purpose I think is to learn something from each shot during the warm up - mostly commonly a 150 aggregate of 5 freestyle, 5 SHO, 5 WHO. I think it greatly improved my ability to call shots as I'd remember what I saw and felt in the shot and then immediately connected it to where I hit ie "yeah that one drifted right at the break" boom, sure enough, there it is.

Once I got in the habit I have generally carried it over to pretty much all of my pure slowfire and I shoot at a club where I have a bay to myself so it's feasible.

If I am shooting some portion of the Humbler, say 5 rounds in 10 seconds, repeat. I'd score each five vs shoot them both and score. Same for shooting reps of the 25 yard stage of the LAPD SWAT qual of 2 shots in a par of . . . from memory, 4.5 sec I think it is. Shoot two, score and mark them, log the result. Repeat.

It may or may not be the best way for any given person to shoot their very best group. I really couldn't say. Every 25 yard group I've put up here in the last few years has been that way though. Shoot one, holster. Go down to check and score, repeat.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Name:  IMG_20200202_171112.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  37.3 KB

99 followed by a 98.

Ruger MKIV 22/45 Tactical. Primary Arms 50K red dot. Loaded with CCI mini mags

I'm not sure if 22's are welcome in this thread but I was pretty happy about this. Very interested to see if I can repeat this next trip. Once it becomes repeatable, I will put the time into doing this with centerfire.

One interesting note: my right contact lens fell out during this range trip. I am left eye dominant and didnt want to get lead in my eye so I just rolled with it. I wonder if that helped my shooting by enabling better focus or something?
    Very much welcome to me.

Interesting question about the hyper focus with the non dominant eye handicap. At various times over the years working through different monovision contact prescripts I saw times when the non dominant eye with the stronger prescript (dominant eye had a weaker one so my near sighted eyes would see the front sight sharp) - and I'd get a little double image of the B8 from the stronger signal I presume coming from the "stronger" image.

User Tag List