Page 124 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 2024

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    This G17 has a little hitch in the trigger when you come to the wall.....it sort of slides to a break. I hate it.....loath it....wish it nothing but doom and despair.

If I do buy it, I'm going to gut parts until I figure out what is causing that. Out of all my Glocks, this is the only one that does it.

So maybe one day, I'll be able to put up a solid 100 with about 8 Xs with it. I do hope the department lets us purchase them if they do go to the G45s. They have the last times we traded them in.
    My G5 17 trigger got worse and worse. I ended up replacing the guts with the Overwatch Precision Tac and an Apex connnector. Seemed to solve all the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by babypanther View Post
    My G5 17 trigger got worse and worse. I ended up replacing the guts with the Overwatch Precision Tac and an Apex connnector. Seemed to solve all the issues.
    We are going to the gen 5 Glock 45 at the end of the year.

Planning on buying this gen 4 17 then since I used it on duty back in January. I’ll change up a thing or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    This target is the culmination of at least 5 years of dedicated work on pistol shooting. I’m beyond stoked.
    100-4X
    25yd freestyle with a stock Gen 5 Glock 19, Ameriglo Tritium sights.

Attachment 40782
    Great target! Good work! What are the top 2-3 things could you point to that made the most improvement in your shooting? In particular at 25 yds.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Great target! Good work! What are the top 2-3 things could you point to that made the most improvement in your shooting? In particular at 25 yds.
    David
    Early on (3-4 years ago) I made huge gains (being able to consistently shoot in the 90's) by achieving a neutral grip. I've written about that pretty extensively here, so I won't re-hash that.

The other 2 things happened much more recently (in the last couple months):

1. Learning the true nuances of trigger control by spending two months shooting Berettas exclusively. This got me in the high 90's consistently. I shot several 99's, but could never break that 100.

2. HARD 100% front sight focus. No double-checking target hold at the last minute. No drift. Ignore/trust the wobble. It remains to be seen how often I can duplicate the 100's now that I've achieved it, but mentally in processing the shot, that has been the most key factor of late. In fact, that target I posted was shot cold. Those were the first 10 rounds I fired from the pistol that day.

The shot process for me now (when shooting for ultimate precision; there are things I speed up or ignore depending on what I'm doing. In other words, I don't do this when shooting a Bill Drill or something):

1. Build the grip. This includes trigger finger placement as well as grip pressure. More with the support hand than the firing hand. Also arm position.
    2. Align front and rear sights paying extra attention to height and light. Small errors here will cost you 8's and 9's.
    (These next steps all happen pretty quickly, within 2-3 sec or less):
    3. Shift focus to the target and align blurry sights for proper hold/coverage.
    4. Shift focus hard to front sight. Completely ignore rear and target.
    5. Press trigger cleanly. This means consistent pressure all the way through the travel, and also ensuring forces are as "linearly rearward" as possible. Also, no other forces happening here. (milking the grip, etc). If you feel anything other than your trigger finger move, STOP. Hopefully, you also saw it in your front sight.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Early on (3-4 years ago) I made huge gains (being able to consistently shoot in the 90's) by achieving a neutral grip. I've written about that pretty extensively here, so I won't re-hash that.

The other 2 things happened much more recently (in the last couple months):

1. Learning the true nuances of trigger control by spending two months shooting Berettas exclusively. This got me in the high 90's consistently. I shot several 99's, but could never break that 100.

2. HARD 100% front sight focus. No double-checking target hold at the last minute. No drift. Ignore/trust the wobble. It remains to be seen how often I can duplicate the 100's now that I've achieved it, but mentally in processing the shot, that has been the most key factor of late. In fact, that target I posted was shot cold. Those were the first 10 rounds I fired from the pistol that day.

The shot process for me now (when shooting for ultimate precision; there are things I speed up or ignore depending on what I'm doing. In other words, I don't do this when shooting a Bill Drill or something):

1. Build the grip. This includes trigger finger placement as well as grip pressure. More with the support hand than the firing hand. Also arm position.
    2. Align front and rear sights paying extra attention to height and light. Small errors here will cost you 8's and 9's.
    (These next steps all happen pretty quickly, within 2-3 sec or less):
    3. Shift focus to the target and align blurry sights for proper hold/coverage.
    4. Shift focus hard to front sight. Completely ignore rear and target.
    5. Press trigger cleanly. This means consistent pressure all the way through the travel, and also ensuring forces are as "linearly rearward" as possible. Also, no other forces happening here. (milking the grip, etc). If you feel anything other than your trigger finger move, STOP. Hopefully, you also saw it in your front sight.

This. Very well written/explained.

Took a coworker today and I think he’s hooked on B8 and B6 targets.
    Name:  9854E966-4B67-4E65-9105-4CFC2C3E0A86.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  8981E727-0357-4155-B416-9AEEC74DA60A.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  28.0 KB

Not focusing on the front sight got me some high and left grouping.

Name:  07A681AE-B850-4DC8-B7EB-060C4D5A6BD4.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  23.9 KB

My strong hand only 50 yard performance starting to improve.

Another 92 degree burner today in NC.

HK P30 v3
    Fiocchi 115gr
    10 shots @ 25 yards

Name:  1D7DE02E-8C97-4B80-BCCB-C4DF1F001629.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  61.8 KB
    Last edited by MasterBlaster; 08-08-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

It’s been about 9 months since I’ve been able to live fire for 25y accuracy and things have suffered a little bit. The range I’m going to at the moment is a cold range with no drawing from the holster. The range goes hot for ten minutes and then cold for five so you can’t walk up to your target until the range goes cold. I tried a 25y 200 drill with my G19-5 (10 freestyle, 5 SHO, 5 WHO). I had a B6 because the range doesn’t have any B8 targets available. I think the only difference is that the 8 ring is black on a B6. I wish I could have walked up to the target to see what my score was after the freestyle string.

My freestyle portion put all ten rounds within the black. I dropped one into the 6 ring SHO to the left of the black and dropped one into the 6 and one into the 5 WHO to the right of the black. The photo didn’t capture the one in the 5 ring. It’s next to the one in the 6 ring. You can see it taped over in the next photo. Final score of 170/200. I really need to work on my SHO and WHO accuracy.

After this, taped the three rounds in the white and decided to shoot at 50y, a B6 being a 50y bullseye and all. I should have taped over the hits in the black as well because it made it much too annoying to calculate a score. I fired 20 rounds at 50y. 9/20 in the black, 11/20 in the white. The group is mostly to the right and low of the black, except for one shot that I really threw to the left. This is the G19 that I pushed the sights to the right on because it always shot left at 25y. I’ll try a few more 50y groups in the future but it seems okay at 25.

Last edited by WobblyPossum; 08-10-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Lazily slung some 10 round groups with the 92 for the first time in a few months. 124 gr Lawman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'm in awe of all your efforts. I'm also gonna do what I seem to do very often: drift the thread.....only because I'm relatively new to 9mm. Do any of you ever shoot anything other than 124 grain? My history is with .45 ACP and 230 grain ammo. Thanks!
    Last edited by 11B10; 08-12-2019 at 07:51 PM.

User Tag List