Page 122 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 2027

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

I’m getting to the point where I might be seeing the difference between range ammo Federal AE147g and defense ammo 147gHST. I’m getting there.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I have not seen Gold Dots or HST match the groups of AE 115, S&B 115 or Lawman 115 in the longest time. That should not be the case.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I have not seen Gold Dots or HST match the groups of AE 115, S&B 115 or Lawman 115 in the longest time. That should not be the case.
    If I had a lane to stay in, ammo wouldn't be it. Based on the very unscientific targets above, shot freestyle, the AE appears to be a bit wider pattern than the HST. The AE "misses" in the 9 ring at 12 o'clock and 9 o'clock were "called" based on poor trigger control. Same goes for the 8 ring and 9 ring "miss" on the HST target. In fact, I knew exactly where all 20 of those rounds went when I broke the shots.

I'm still looking for the elusive 100, but I'm super happy that shot calling becoming normal for me, at least at a slow fire pace.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    96 4ish-X HK USPC 40 with 180 grain Win Ranger

Name:  52CEBC09-992E-4DC4-BDC9-96403FAF29B4.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  46.4 KB
    Name:  82C111B2-F5B9-4883-80DD-8E90A209D9E6.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  43.9 KB

Averaged 94.5 today with the G41. 8 ring hit on every string.

Name:  2714B574-6AEC-48AD-B07B-F03235355048.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  E55C6B4E-51C2-4743-A5E7-68B56EEA1E3B.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  C0C23524-D943-4489-AB40-34CA637EB28C.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  5F69442A-A8DF-4205-A88C-B1279BAAA83E.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  27.0 KB

Minute little trigger errors are dinging my scores. I was so focused on the front sight I was seeing brass being chambered on the recoil.

And still couldn’t all black one.

For variety I shot from 30 and 40 yards today. Put five together at 30 with that one dang called flyer.

@GJM - yes, I promptly centered the rear sight as last year I ticked it a slight bias to the right like a dope.

Attachment 39843
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

I shot B8s at 25 for the first time today. It sucked about as much as I expected since I typically only shoot IPSC style targets at that distance. I’ll definitely be forcing myself to do it more, especially with No Fail pistol in October. Was shooting a Roland Special zero’d for 124gr +P Gold Dots at 15 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 07-07-2019 at 04:13 PM.

I did this a few weeks ago. Freestyle, 25 yards with a G5 15 and a rmr06 on a balor mount.

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

In reference to my above post, a member on another forum asked if I had any idea why my misses were all over the place instead of somewhat consistent, like low left because of the flinchies. I thought it was interesting timing because I had been debating it a lot that day so figured I’d share my response, even though it’s hard to explain. I’d be curious if anyone here has any feedback on it.

I was actually thinking about that a good bit when looking at these targets and agree. Obviously I have misses attributable to flinchville but those are more apparent when I'm shooting faster. For bullseye/slow fire stuff, I have a really weird tendency to maintain a low POA. My guess is that its due to a natural desire to want to see, which means that if something is in front of my face, I'm fighting the subconscious decision to lower that thing so I can see better, regardless of whether its a clean target or not. Even with an RDS, my POA usually stays low and I have to work to bring the gun up on target. I was actually paying attention to it while shooting and it almost felt as if holding low was like being in my natural point of aim, and then I had to raise my hands to an uncomfortable height to correct my POA before firing. I felt less comfortable, which means that my hands are less steady and my wobble zone increases. But I have a really bad habit of getting impatient and just sending it to see where the shot ends up, which is a part of the reason that I signed up for Chuck's no fail pistol and started working at 25. Today I was deliberately trying to come off the trigger if I knew the dot wasn't on target so I could reacquire, but that bad habit is definitely ingrained in there and will take some work to get rid of.

This is less of a problem when I shoot for time and why I hate shooting slow fire, but I know that if I can tighten up the deliberately aimed groups, my faster shots will only improve as well. Its weird to think about though, because it seems like you should be able to just put the dot on the target and keep it there.

Last edited by Wake27; 07-08-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    In reference to my above post, a member on another forum asked if I had any idea why my misses were all over the place instead of somewhat consistent, like low left because of the flinchies. I thought it was interesting timing because I had been debating it a lot that day so figured I’d share my response, even though it’s hard to explain. I’d be curious if anyone here has any feedback on it.

You are on paper so you are doing as good as I was when I first started doing this drill. Next you should try to maintain the scoring rings and when that is easy, try to maintain the black.

Your sight wobble: I will tell you that when I quit worrying about the wobble and let the sights do that (within reason) and focused all my attention on the front sight and the trigger press.....my groups tightened considerably. You can get a little off target on the wobble and if you have a smooth, close to perfect trigger press, the shot will be much better than if you "rush" the shot when that sight pic looks perfect....or "ambushing" the sight/shots.

It really is a trigger press game...for me. I find that my groups are much much better when I get good trigger presses....even when I think I have blown a shot due to the sight wobble. I'll walk down to the target and be shocked that most are all in the black, even on bad days when the wind and the shakes have taken a hold of me.

Those B8 repairs with the red X......I found those messed me up as I was focusing more on that pretty red circle than I was my front sight. When I switched to all black, I got tighter groups.

Just some thoughts. I think you are doing great if this is the first time you have tried this. If you put in the dry fire time and sharpen up your trigger press and front sight focus, I feel you will see results.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    For irons, one of the things that helped me the most was the focus on keeping the sights exactly in "equal height, equal light" and not worrying a whole lot about which part of the bull they're hanging around at. For someone shooting a dot my guess is it has more to do with a clean trigger press and letting the dot do what it needs to. If your press is clean, the dot won't jump, and most people's wobble zone isn't too bad.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 07-08-2019 at 05:17 PM.

User Tag List