Page 11 of 202 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Don't sweat being new. We all start somewhere.

I don't have the highest hopes. My M&P has ranged from ~3" on a good day to 4-5" when I'm shooting faster than I should be.

Either way, a head to head comparison with multiple brands of ammo will be a good test.
    If not me, then who?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  61.7 KB

More 25 yard shooting. Here's my target from the mover at the 2014 Cup, 25 yards. At 25 yards you get four passes, firing three rounds each pass. The target is moving along a 60 foot track at 10 FPS, giving you six seconds of exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  61.7 KB

More 25 yard shooting. Here's my target from the mover at the 2014 Cup, 25 yards. At 25 yards you get four passes, firing three rounds each pass. The target is moving along a 60 foot track at 10 FPS, giving you six seconds of exposure.
    Nice shooting dude.
    That isn't easy.
    Seeing Doug Koening's (all in the black) targets makes me want to do nothing but shoot movers for months.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
    Interesting.

I don't expect much from it, but given the cost it's hard to pass up as range ammo.

edit: hopefully it will at least be consistent against itself. I bought it primary to see which gun prefers which weight of ammo.
    Well, in my haste to have an early start I screwed the pooch and forgot to bring my M&P. But it's ok, because I always keep a backup on hand. Banana, that is.

I also forgot target stands and cardboard. Fortunately there was some wood lying around, and I cannibalized a friend's SKS box.

All this negativity was putting a funk in my zen so I decided to start shooting. The weather was close to 95 degrees with a light (hot) breeze. Fortunately we had some shade otherwise we would have been toast.

With that being said, I'm glad I shot this group first. 124gr +P Gold Dot Hollow Points:

9 rounds in a 3.5" group, and a flier. Even the score isn't too shabby - 2x94
    If not me, then who?

Posted a 10 shot group with my Sig. This was the first time I've shot it since getting Trijicon HD sights. Still getting used to the sight picture:

From here it goes downhill. It was either the quality of ammo, the heat, my fatigue, dehydration or all of the above. In addition to those factors, my Glock tended to shoot heavily to the left.

PMC Bronze 115gr:

Winchester White Box - 115gr:

If not me, then who?

Freedom Munitions Remanufactured 115gr:

Freedom Munitions Remanufactured 124gr:

Freedom Munitions Remanufactured 147gr:

I also got my first malfunction with the gun. This occurred on the 2nd mag of Gold Dots on the last round. Failure to feed.

If not me, then who?

Lessons learned:

1. Gold Dots are good ammo.
    2. Shooting for accuracy in the heat is bad times.
    3. My Glock favors to the left.
    4. From the groups, it also prefers 115gr ammo. Testing is inconclusive, though.
    5. The front sight (CAP) is too wide, I'm strongly considering moving to the TCAP for a thinner profile.
    6. The trigger, even with a Dot Connector, feels heavy. I'll most likely be giving it a $0.25 polish job.
    7. The vertical serrations on the trigger are garbage. I'll most likely be swapping it with an OEM smooth.
    8. I much prefer a square notch rear sight vs. a U (Trijicon HD)
    9. Grip plug didn't crack my frame - can't believe everything you read on the 'net
    10. The 2183-2 follower is garbage. I am 100% sure that caused the Failure to Feed.
    If not me, then who?

Nice write-up hoss, thanks.

Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Nice shooting dude.
    That isn't easy.
    Seeing Doug Koening's (all in the black) targets makes me want to do nothing but shoot movers for months.

What Doug does is impressive, no doubt. What really impresses me are the guys shooting 470+ with iron sight guns at the events. Rob Leatham cleaned the barricades this year, shot a 480 with an XDm.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Nice write-up hoss, thanks.

Thanks. These are some extra pics I took for the benefit of another board but I suppose I'll post them here. We're all 7 yard snipers...

Here is a target I shot at 10 yards at the end of the day (arguably my most fatigued/dehydrated state) with the PMC Bronze 115gr:

This is indisputable PROOF that any testing for accuracy needs to happen at a distance.

And, on that note, I'm just a regular guy.

If not me, then who?

User Tag List