Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    PR today. 98-2X. Generally shot well.

Attachment 57129

ETA. Sorry it’s sideways.
    Nicely done sir!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Figured this was as good a place as any to de-lurk, as I've learned a lot here and finally felt like I might have some slightly useful information to impart based on a lesson I learned yesterday when trying my hand at the 25 yard B8 for the first time. First target was shot cold, with a Walther P99 and handloads using a 147 grain coated flatpoint and W231. I know this pistol to shoot quite well, but this was a new load. I had been shooting primarily 124s through this pistol and wanted to work up a load with 147s that more or less duplicates the velocity of my 147 grain HST carry load.

I shot slowly, taking advice found in this thread to think of the exercise as 10 1-round strings. I have Trijicon fiber optic sights on the P99 (plain black rear, orange fiber in the front) and attempted to aim for the center of the bull. By the time I finished, I was getting discouraged. I could see holes appearing all over the white. When I retrieved the target, my heart sank. I can and generally do shoot better than this. This is not acceptable.

Name:  T3662.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  33.9 KB

I had felt fairly good when shooting, but my shots are scattered all over the paper. I started wondering if this pistol just doesn't like this bullet and if I'm going to have to go back to 124s, but I was committed to trying one more target. First shot, same technique, and I see a hole appear high and right, just cutting the 7 ring. Now my personal Obi Wan Kenobi appears to me, in the form of my grandfather telling me not to use the force, but to "put the pumpkin on the fencepost." I switch aiming points and adjust my technique a little, taking slightly less time between shots but maintaining a more consistent grip as I dropped the pistol to low ready between shots. As I fired the remaining nine rounds, I saw only one hole appear in the white, in the 8 ring at 5 o'clock. This is more like it.

Name:  T3663.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  37.0 KB

So what did I learn? For one thing, this load is hitting just where I want it to, just a little over the tip of the front sight. As far as the improvement in the grouping, I think I relaxed a little bit and established a more consistent grip, but I think 90 percent of it was taking a 6 o'clock hold rather than trying to shoot center mass on the bull. I was able to maintain a much more consistent sight picture than when I was covering up the aiming point with the front sight. Grandpa knew what he was talking about.

The tale of two 292/300 modified FBI bullseye runs today.

First 25 yard 10 round group: 4 in a nice cluster, 4 in the X, one 9 ring, and then mister 8 ring.

Finished up with a 292 and had one other 8 ringer which was on the first 15 second 5 round run, cleaned up the next and cleaned the two 10 second runs.

Second run 25 yard 10 round group better.

Finished up with another 292 should have been more patient at 15 and used my time better (I generally run all 5 round stages is under 6 seconds).

All with the G45/RMR/COMP blaster.

Site Supporter
    Been a bit since I spent much range time, and 25 yard has been just kicking my butt so nothing worth posting for a while. Went to a 2 1/2 day course a few weeks ago, and so the question of the day is what is the likeliness of the improvements to my grip and stance could be the cause of the shift of my groups to the left? When I bought the LTT, I did have to adjust the sights as they were shooting at the far left edge of a B8 at 25. The two I'll post here show closely enough the shift I'm seeing, and I'm just curious to find the cause.

First ten rounds cold from the LTT.
    Name:  fuT9wF6l.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  36.9 KB

Just snagged a 96G top end, stuck in on my M9's frame for a bit of 15 yard shooting just to feel it out a bit.
    Name:  5YWawFbl.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  31.5 KB

Took another go with the LTT. Liked the group, and if anything I was trying to hold a touch to the right side of the black on the target.
    Name:  JP0pp6rl.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  38.7 KB

Ruger LCR 9mm. AIWB under a t-shirt
    1 shot, 8” plate, 25 yds.
    2.11s
    2.38s
    2.32s (miss)

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    HK45
    Federal Ultra .45 230g
    30 yards

Attachment 53575
    I catch up every few Months looking at the targets people post on here.

That is a Nice 30 yard group !

94 scorcher here in NC

HK45
    Federal Ultra .45 230g
    10 shots to a 4x4 post it note at 25 yards

Name:  HK45 at 25 yards.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  25.2 KB

Shot almost cold. After 3 rounds my trigger stopped resetting and I had to replace the TRS and start again with a new B8
    Shot with my USPSA ammo.

10 rounds DA only. When shooting DA, I noticed that the moment before the shot breaks I push the gun up.
    I think I am also giving up grip pressure with the lower part of my strong hand.
    Name:  20200805_101140.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  32.2 KB

Shooting DA/SA 10 rounds.
    95 with line breaks, 2x with one DA flier.
    The trigger part was much easier than DA only, but I found that keeping the gun steady was a bit of a challenge for me,
    it was a good exercise in "embrace the wobble". Now as I type this I am thinking the wobble is also part of my wide grouping with the DA only target.
    Name:  20200805_101721.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  43.9 KB

Finally “all blacked” a B6 target at the 50 yard line. Two handed freestyle. I think it’s the first time I’ve broke 90 with this .45auto.

Name:  B2B95646-7040-4263-9C21-DB8FC4130C58.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  30.8 KB

Regards.

Combination here.

The LB Operator was used on the 5x8 card in a walk back to 40 yards which was the warm up. I can see once I get to 15 yards I have to start "shooting the dot" the damn dot.

The group in the head was that .45 from 25 (the blue line at the top of the headbox indicated the dang hold I had to use to shoot that group. PIA)

and the red marked group was the RTF2 G22 from 25 which was solid for 4 anyway.

Name:  IMG_2545.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  99.8 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List