Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good videos on teaching the draw stroke/press out

Good videos on teaching the draw stroke/press out

What is everyone's favorite video for teaching the draw/press out? Assume that hands on coaching is available but limited, more for corrections than the initial learning with dry-firing.

Thanks.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Banned for Punctuation Guerrero's Avatar
    I always like to refer back to Gomez. Some of his ideas may be a bit "dated" (I use that term loosely), but always a good start:

I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

Claude Werner has a good one with stacked boxes being used as a gauge for keeping things tight:

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=Yyp0SKX_cB4

The Pressout Man. RIP

"Pressing out" is a bit outdated and inefficient unless coming from a high ready position or compressed ready

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    "Pressing out" is a bit outdated and inefficient unless coming from a high ready position or compressed ready
    Thanks for the reply.

What would you suggest instead and what's your reasoning?
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

What would you suggest instead and what's your reasoning?
    Lifting the gun to your eyeline because a straight line is faster than drawing an L which is what you're doing when you draw then press out

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I haven't been to classes in a while, or watched many recent training vids on Youtube. But, I was told by more than one instructor not to do that (lift to sight line), since you may "brake" too hard at the top and have a bit of wobble to overcome. Are all the cool kids saying don't do press out now?

Banned for Punctuation Guerrero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I haven't been to classes in a while, or watched many recent training vids on Youtube. But, I was told by more than one instructor not to do that (lift to sight line), since you may "brake" too hard at the top and have a bit of wobble to overcome. Are all the cool kids saying don't do press out now?
    Eh, "It depends." Disclaimer: see my handle "Tactical Nobody"; I'm just an observer. It seems that the more dramatic "press out" isn't done any more, but things may diverge from there. Ernest Langdon demonstrates probably the "typical" draw now:

HOWEVER, if you're from the TPI/Shivworks school of thought, you'll still draw to the thumb/pectoral index at count "2" (*depending on if you're starting from strong-side or appendix) then extend appropriately (like in the Gomez videos).
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    You can throttle back the last percentage of the draw so that you don't have the wobble

User Tag List