Page 185 of 203 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2024

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    ^^^IMHO staging a Glock trigger is the path to the dark side.
    Can you elaborate on that?

All my foundational training (mostly through Randy Cain) was consistent application of pressure, not staging the trigger. During a Reston/Jedlinski class a couple years ago, I was introduced to trigger prep/staging in a way that finally clicked with me. Of course, Reston was shooting a Chambers 2011 in class, but I believe he was a Glock guy before retiring, so I'm wondering if his trigger management changed along with his handgun selection.

Then watching a recent Brian Hill video, he was emphatic about keeping the trigger moving and not staging it.

I've also heard it said (probably here on P-F) that trigger staging is a great way to make a 5 pound trigger feel like a 10 pound trigger...

Chasing hundo's with not-quite-glocks(or hundo's). Back to back with 115 ae.

Name:  20220515_100444.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  28.7 KB
    My p80 build.

Name:  20220515_102013.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  28.1 KB
    A friend's dr920.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Can you elaborate on that?

All my foundational training (mostly through Randy Cain) was consistent application of pressure, not staging the trigger. During a Reston/Jedlinski class a couple years ago, I was introduced to trigger prep/staging in a way that finally clicked with me. Of course, Reston was shooting a Chambers 2011 in class, but I believe he was a Glock guy before retiring, so I'm wondering if his trigger management changed along with his handgun selection.

Then watching a recent Brian Hill video, he was emphatic about keeping the trigger moving and not staging it.

I've also heard it said (probably here on P-F) that trigger staging is a great way to make a 5 pound trigger feel like a 10 pound trigger...
    I agree with the part about a 5lb feeling like 10lb once you stop it. The other thing, especially with Glocks is all the years of bad traing to pin the trigger and shoot from audible reset. In slowfire, I endeavor to shoot my Glocks like a micro double-action. Start the movement and don't stop; while applying ever increasing pressure until it breaks. I also shoot stock triggers. In my opinion, those who chase "better" (usually lighter) triggers on Glocks do so because they're shooting from a "staged" position so it becomes a game of trying to make their Glock feel like a 1911, which it never safely will. This often leads to punching the trigger. A poorly attempted hardware solution to a software problem.

Now, all of this goes out the window when shooting at speed. When I'm shooting .11 and .12 splits, I'm slapping the ever-loving piss out of the trigger, controlling recoil with my grip, and using my eyes as throttle control. If my eyes detect the sights out of alignment with either each other and/or the target, time to throttle back and correct.

I've never trained with Reston or Jedlinski and would hesitate to speak on their training without first-hand experience. However, my experience is that trying to stage, even a lightened Glock trigger will mess you up in the long run. You might get several lucky shots in a row, but long-term, the rolling break is more repeatable as you fatigue and also translates well to other platforms.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Had the chance to put a few rounds through a friend's shadow 2. The lok's really balance it out from being nose heavy and that sro is sunk deep! Fun gun. Didn't help me on my quest for hundo's (clearly there must be some OTHER hardware solution but still a great gun.

Name:  20220529_121542.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  32.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Had the chance to put a few rounds through a friend's shadow 2. The lok's really balance it out from being nose heavy and that sro is sunk deep! Fun gun. Didn't help me on my quest for hundo's (clearly there must be some OTHER hardware solution but still a great gun.

Name:  20220529_121542.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  32.0 KB
    Nice shooting. I will opine that the most important hardware solution towards a hundo is ammo and it’s a real one. Not so much that you have to have match ammo, but there is some real garbage out there that won’t do much more than 6” at 25yds. It can vary gun to gun too.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I was fortunate enough to get in another range trip this weekend. 94-97's with stingers, blazer, and auto- match (pictured) for the 617 today.

Name:  20220530_110742.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  29.6 KB

Re: prep vs constant pressure/rolling break/whatever...

I think there are merits to both approaches and different shooters will see different results with each technique. There are extremely competent guys on both sides of the discussion.

The shot process for many is a fight against themselves and one size does not fit all.

Name:  PXL_20220529_234106741.MP.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  36.6 KB

This was some new to me ammo that Target Sports had. 124 grain FMJ from a Serbian company called Belom. I have read they are the Mil/LE branch of PPU. I really wish I would have dialed those first two high shots in a little tighter because 2.5 inches isn't great out of my Q5, but for cheap practice ammo out of my hands, its pretty good.

https://i.imgur.com/f6IXDn7.jpeg

#1 - Can someone help me? Posting pics here is a PITA! Sorry, can't figure out anything but a link.

Due to my vision over the past 15 years I have never worked B8's beyond 15 yards. Was always so discouraging. Fast forward to first getting an RDO, which improved my shooting 30% instantly. Then I had cataract surgery that helped me even further.

Literally 2 weeks ago I took a stab at 25 yards for accuracy. Instantly realized what I missed out on without this practice. Solidification of platform. Working on seeing what I needed to see. Trigger control, etc.

This is my best 25 yard target ever. Now 25/B8's will be a major portion of practice. Gonna hit the range 2 more times this week and then attend the Rangemaster Advanced IDC this weekend. I'll spend maybe 50% of my time at this, this week. I'll no problem with the quals. Just want to do the best I can...
    Last edited by rawkguitarist; 05-31-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/f6IXDn7.jpeg

#1 - Can someone help me? Posting pics here is a PITA! Sorry, can't figure out anything but a link.

Due to my vision over the past 15 years I have never worked B8's beyond 15 yards. Was always so discouraging. Fast forward to first getting an RDO, which improved my shooting 30% instantly. Then I had cataract surgery that helped me even further.

Literally 2 weeks ago I took a stab at 25 yards for accuracy. Instantly realized what I missed out on without this practice. Solidification of platform. Working on seeing what I needed to see. Trigger control, etc.

This is my best 25 yard target ever. Now 25/B8's will be a major portion of practice. Gonna hit the range 2 more times this week and then attend the Rangemaster Advanced IDC this weekend. I'll spend maybe 50% of my time at this, this week. I'll no problem with the quals. Just want to do the best I can...
    Well... shit. Tried again on the pic - no dice. And then I can't delete this post.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

User Tag List