Page 176 of 202 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 2020

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

@Duckysattva, I'm adding to my previous post. Note that I am very much not a bullseye shooter, so this may or may not be helpful. I can shoot 95+ pretty consistently with iron sights on a Shadow2 or P-07, but my goal is shooting as soon as I can confirm the sights. About a year and half ago I switched to shooting target focus with iron sights, and have had good success to 25yds, and even farther.

With a pure target focus, my precision (size of pattern) at 25 yds isn't quite as good, but the accuracy (center of pattern) is better than with pure sight focus. If I'm trying to shoot a very tight group at distance, here's what I do instead of either of those: 1) target focus on the X, 2) pull vision back to confirm alignment of front sight in rear notch, 3) if the sights are aligned acceptably, return focus to target and fire. If not, adjust sight alignment and start the process at (1) again.

I am always pulling the trigger while focusing on the X. Often I can shoot a good group just by doing the target/sight focus process once, and firing the remaining shots with a pure target focus. Each cycle of the target/sight focus process takes about 0.20 to 0.30s.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-17-2021 at 02:05 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckysattva View Post
    Tried my hand at 25 today on my lunch break with a Gen 5 17 that I'm trying to get zeroed. Ameriglo Bolds w/ .190 Height, .125 Width "Thin" Lumigreen Front holding w/ front post top edge cutting the B-8 in half. Either a 91 or 92-2X depending on the low shot breaking the 9 ring or not. Upper shot I'm calling an 8 as the grease ring is the only thing touching the 9 ring line.

First slow fire at 25 yards in a good while and have struggled slightly with consistency with this setup at 10 yards shooting at 1" dots. At 10 it's almost a drive the dot sight picture and probably just me but seems to favor slightly left. Started with a few dry presses at 25 then shot for score. Tried to work on calling shots while running this and generally called the hits - low and high I knew immediately as well as when I was slightly off to the left. Shots called to the right weren't as far off as anticipated. Bulk of the group may be slightly high at 25 but the gun is very capable of shooting better, just need to do my part.

I know it's bad form but I closed my non-dominant eye for this string as I find the thin front sight a little trickier to line up perfectly (equal light) with wider gaps on each side than a .140 front. I dig it for shooting at speed/closer distances though so not looking to switch to the wider front post.

For the guys shooting irons out there, at distance are you guys still shooting both eyes open? Will try again without closing my non-dominant eye at some point and see what shakes loose.

Attachment 80124
    Both eyes open at all distances.

Site Supporter
    2nd attempt at the 25yd B8 today with the 17.5 after fixing myself thanks to the feedback from @Clusterfrack and @HCM. Both eyes open like I know I'm supposed to but cheated on first attempt. Again worked on calling shots felt all were good shots with the exception of the high 8-ring which I actually called slightly low and right (more work on calling shots needed). Calling it a 94 1-X for now given the three 9-ringers and one in the 7-ring. The two in the 9-ring are close but trying to be punitive with scoring and err on the side of caution.

After that dug out a Gen4 34 that I haven't shot in a bit to try it out for comparison. Little different setup with a DK Custom basic trigger kit and Dawson sights with a fiber optic front at .105 wide. Rear notch is .125 wide so a good bit narrower sight picture which I thought would lend well to shooting at 25 but I screwed the pooch on trigger control with a couple of shots (called the flyer on the left and high 8-ring shot but no idea how I sent the one in the 7-ring to the north pole). More work to do after turning in a 90 1-X with the center of what I'll call the real group to be 2" high, think I need a bit taller front site.

Worked on follow-through a bit more today and reacquiring sight picture but I found myself pinning the trigger when shooting these and by the time I noticed it I figured I'd hold course. I think I know the answer but, pin it or reset during recoil like when shooting at closer distances and for immediate follow up shots?

Name:  IMG_1484[1].jpg
Views: 396
Size:  39.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1485[1].jpg
Views: 390
Size:  37.7 KB
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

10 shots 25yds 3/4” paster. Threw 2 high. Saw it happen as the trigger broke. The other 8 rds just about 2”

Name:  879B014B-E1CA-4D30-8D0F-F137CE033897.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  45.4 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I haven’t shot in 6-7 weeks due to Covid pneumonia and 2 hospital stays.

I retired yesterday and was given this Glock P80

Name:  EC9E1D4E-3CBA-4AC9-9CAE-18B6FCB3052D.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  42.2 KB

First 10 rounds put up a decent group with Norma 124 grain

Name:  F0FBE3EE-C874-42A9-9DB9-2F030290E210.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  37.0 KB

I’m still struggling with pulse being too high when I walk and exert myself but did manage a 93-1X

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  35.2 KB

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post

First 10 rounds put up a decent group with Norma 124 grain

Name:  F0FBE3EE-C874-42A9-9DB9-2F030290E210.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  37.0 KB

I’m still struggling with pulse being too high when I walk and exert myself but did manage a 93-1X

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  35.2 KB

Regards
    What a cool gift! Congrats on your retirement and great shooting! Hope your health continues to improve quickly!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    What a cool gift! Congrats on your retirement and great shooting! Hope your health continues to improve quickly!
    Thanks, buddy!

They also paid for my patrol rifle and 870 Police so I could take those home too.

Best squad/coworkers ever!

And a special thanks to @blues

Your support was awesome!

Thanks, buddy!

They also paid for my patrol rifle and 870 Police so I could take those home too.

Best squad/coworkers ever!

And a special thanks to @blues

Your support was awesome!

Brother, I'm just proud you'd have me as a friend.

Glad to see you back here where you belong.

Congrats on the retirement and the well deserved gifts. You've more than earned them.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

While the thread is largely a 25 yard b8 thread, it's cold so I'm shooting steel. Working draws at 25 and 50 with the goal of staying within the two second envelope with my winter coat. Only 1 was within that time at 50 and i had 2 misses. Fairly easy goal at 25 for the target, ta mini dap, but still pressed and milked one off target at 25.

25 yards

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Congratulations on your retirement!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List