Page 147 of 203 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2024

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Some do. There's a B8 group on FB. Holy hell's bells, I don't ever see myself shooting 95+ in under 20 seconds.

Yesterday's efforts...

Attachment 55551

I legit do not get WTF. I do realize that's what part of the strategy to the 25 yd FS is, but I have not yet perfected self diagnosis. Just when the moon is right, the tide comes in, and my dog holds her leg at the right angle all at the same time.
    Attachment 55552
    Attachment 55553
    You can fix it yourself with irons. I did. Then again, look at the start date on this thread, lol. What I see in your targets is a combination of inconsistent grip pressure on a non-neutral grip and lacking hard front sight focus. Your grip is why you see the left and right. You need to develop a grip that keeps the pistol in the same place regardless of whether you're squeezing it hard enough to control recoil for a bill drill or trying to make a 50yd head shot. The vertical (and/or random flyers) is your visual focus leaving the front sight. Stop worrying about whether your front sight is exactly on the "X" or not. Put it in the middle of the black and then drill a MFing hole through the front sight with your eyeball as you cleanly press the trigger. If you see that front sight move (other than your wobble zone), STOP! That'll get you into the mid-90's on-demand with occasional high 90's.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    You can fix it yourself with irons. I did. Then again, look at the start date on this thread, lol. What I see in your targets is a combination of inconsistent grip pressure on a non-neutral grip and lacking hard front sight focus. Your grip is why you see the left and right. You need to develop a grip that keeps the pistol in the same place regardless of whether you're squeezing it hard enough to control recoil for a bill drill or trying to make a 50yd head shot. The vertical (and/or random flyers) is your visual focus leaving the front sight. Stop worrying about whether your front sight is exactly on the "X" or not. Put it in the middle of the black and then drill a MFing hole through the front sight with your eyeball as you cleanly press the trigger. If you see that front sight move (other than your wobble zone), STOP! That'll get you into the mid-90's on-demand with occasional high 90's.
    I’ve tried desperately to find a two handed grip on a Glock that will perform like you describe. I’m convinced I can’t do it.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’ve tried desperately to find a two handed grip on a Glock that will perform like you describe. I’m convinced I can’t do it.
    Have you ever tried using your pectoral muscles to force your arms and hands together to "crush in" on the grip? I found focusing on that gave me a more uniform grip and better recoil management. That and locking the wrists as much as possible seemed to help me.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Why, oh why, am I going to have to wait to go back to the range again? I suppose I needed someone to point out the sight focus issue, I've been subliminally aware of it the last several times I've been to the range shooting 25 yards. I can tell I've been more target focused than front sight focused, so that makes perfect sense.

I won't disagree on grip, either. Switching from an M9 grip to the M9A1 frame with the relief cut under the beaver tail is just enough different that I'm having to sort out how to grip the thing again. While it lends to better grip, which is part of the reason for the change in guns, Ive put so many rounds through the M9 that it might take a bit. (Also noting that it's not like I've my M9 any better lately. Lack of range time doesn't lend itself to anything useful, either).

Thanks for the diagnostic ass kicking because I see it.

Disclaimer: Not a bullseye shooter, just a guy who has spent a fair amount of time self diagnosing at 25 and 50 yards. I typically shoot 95+ at 25 and high 80s / low 90s at 50. Here are some of my thoughts as a right handed, right eye dominant shooter, with an HK LEM trigger.

Freestyle, standing unsupported.

Holding the gun in place, as if locked in a vice:

As the head PIVOTS right, the sight picture appears to move left, causing the shooter to compensate by bringing the gun to the right.

As the head TILTS right, the sight picture appears to move up and to the left, causing the shooter to compensate by bringing the gun down and to the right.

The opposite obviously hold true as to our perception vs reality. The gun may very well be aimed properly, but our perception is off as it is not visually aligned. When we attempt to "correct" the percieved error, it just introduces more movement, and a cycle of correction.

3 areas of concern under the shooter's control:
    Perception of the sights
    Gun wobble
    Head wobble

Proud shoulders, positional vs muscular.

Hopefully this provides some benefit.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 06-09-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

I've been really "flinchy" as of late. Not of the bang, but of the dot on target. Did try the support hand thumb off the frame idea, but target's bad enough that it's hard to tell if there's a difference.

"Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

This past weekend’s attempt. Beretta 92 with 124gr Speer Lawman.

Name:  BB907F31-AF2D-448E-BCB5-7D8FB4271D2F.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  27.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I've been really "flinchy" as of late. Not of the bang, but of the dot on target. Did try the support hand thumb off the frame idea, but target's bad enough that it's hard to tell if there's a difference.

This is a very common problem in archery it has a common name (target panic); but is a type of dystonia. I can foward you some archery drills you can adapt for handguns that may help.

(My target panic in archery was so bad I couldn’t physically hold a bow at full draw and put the arrow tip within a couple of feet of the target without my subconscious releasing the arrow. It’s a crazy and frustrating rewriting of your nervous system that can eventually be overcome.)
    im strong, i can run faster than train

This was painful.

I started out hot, those first 4 rounds in the red/black of the B-3 target. STI + Blazer Brass 124gr. Then the wheels started coming off and I knew I was throwing shots. I think I sped up for the last 3 rounds as I knew it was hosed.

2020-06-15_04-18-56 by rayrevolver, on Flickr

My next range session I need to get back to something more speed related. When I started IDPA/USPSA I felt like I hit where I wanted but could never get the gas pedal down. Right before I quit I had a few B qualifiers but not enough to classify as B. And since my few year break from serious shooting I am back to focusing on pure accuracy and I know my speed is gone.

I can't do FAST since I am not allowed to shoot from the draw. Anyone have good drills for a public indoor range, and starting at position 2 from the draw, and using USPSA targets???

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    This is a very common problem in archery it has a common name (target panic); but is a type of dystonia. I can foward you some archery drills you can adapt for handguns that may help.

(My target panic in archery was so bad I couldn’t physically hold a bow at full draw and put the arrow tip within a couple of feet of the target without my subconscious releasing the arrow. It’s a crazy and frustrating rewriting of your nervous system that can eventually be overcome.)
    Please do. Might be helpful for others if you post it publicly, or you can PM me.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

User Tag List