Page 145 of 202 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 2020

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

No, it’s not just you @spence.

8 ring wasn’t my friend today. My issue is slight sighting errors and high hits.

Did manage a couple of 97s today.

Name:  B4BD0B6D-1D03-4D21-959F-2E1781079812.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  26.7 KB

Wednesday I’ll try again.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Practicing some dry fire tonight and on a whim I tried taking my support hand thumb off the frame (normally I press with firm pressure to the left and down) and noticed stability in the dot after the striker fell.

Going to try it live fire (hopefully this weekend) and see if it makes a difference.
    This is that "neutral grip" thing I'm always rambling on about.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I've taken to shooting a Walk Back on Memorial Day weekend, as I reflect on this friend of my son's and occasional shooting partner of mine. A great young man who changed my life positively at my advanced age.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...g-isis-in-iraq

The G19X was up first and shot cold as my warm up. Distances noted.

Name:  IMG_0245.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  82.9 KB

Later I repeated using the 43X on the VTAC head. What's funny about is after the 25 yard hit followed the 20 yard hit out to the right I checked the rear site and it was biased a good bit to the right. I think I may have shifted it right when I was struggling to shoot the small gun with cold hands last winter.
    So I Kentucky windage'd the 30 yard hit. Then sailed the 35 high and called it a wrap. I then centered the rear sight and confirmed.

Attachment 54772
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Got the RMR on the G19 pretty well zeroed @ 25yds today. Dot doesn't fix the wobble zone though.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    So here's your dumb question of the day. Am I the only one who struggles at the 25 yd FS sort of shooting to the point that you've pretty well got to hit the right day, stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before, got fuel at the right station, and caught the right traffic light in order to get decent scores?

I seem to catch days every month-ish where I shoot it really well, and sometimes it's meh, and sometimes I just plain suck ass. Some of this I do realize has just about as much to do with the fact that when it blows 20 mph all the time there ain't much hope for it.
    Here ya go @spence

Name:  1B04C5D1-9207-4817-81FC-E494B85EDBF9.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  26.6 KB

Stopped at the local indoor facility to practice strong hand only 25. I had AR fire to my left and some full auto to my right.

Cranked off one nearly off paper.

Low 90s kind of day. I hate indoor shooting ranges anyway.....more for the poor lighting than anything.

Plus, I was in full cop garb which caused everyone to stop and watch. Good for external pressure.

And it showed in my constant 8 hits as well as a 7 or three.
    Regards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Here ya go @spence

Name:  1B04C5D1-9207-4817-81FC-E494B85EDBF9.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  26.6 KB

Stopped at the local indoor facility to practice strong hand only 25. I had AR fire to my left and some full auto to my right.

Cranked off one nearly off paper.

Low 90s kind of day. I hate indoor shooting ranges anyway.....more for the poor lighting than anything.

Plus, I was in full cop garb which caused everyone to stop and watch. Good for external pressure.

And it showed in my constant 8 hits as well as a 7 or three.
    Regards.
    Good to know. There's days where I'll give it a go, and the group/score might not be too bad, other than the one or two that flies completely off the B8. Or when the wind just eats me, which is often. Freaking five yards is difficult with a 20 mph cross wind. It seems I spend more time wasting ammo than accomplishing anything useful, then there's "that day" where the wind's right, my brain's right, and the gun(s) just shoot.

Could still be I just suck and need way more practice. I'm ok with that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Good to know. There's days where I'll give it a go, and the group/score might not be too bad, other than the one or two that flies completely off the B8. Or when the wind just eats me, which is often. Freaking five yards is difficult with a 20 mph cross wind. It seems I spend more time wasting ammo than accomplishing anything useful, then there's "that day" where the wind's right, my brain's right, and the gun(s) just shoot.

Could still be I just suck and need way more practice. I'm ok with that, too.
    I've been told by folks that got a lot of coaching from the legendary Army Marksmanship Unit that they got a lot of tips such as day of a match, if you always drink coffee every morning, drink the same that morning. If you don't, DON'T. Same for other habits like say dipping.
    No strength oriented PT for two days before a match or something like that.

I've seen a really good "robotic" young shooter show up at the range with me having come from a deadlift workout (300-400 lbs for reps sort of level) and struggle to find the black at 25 yards.

I think I've seen dehydrated states foul up my precision pretty noticeably.

Nice even bright natural light better than overcast.

It seems all sorts of variables can hit precision hardest. On days when the precision is just off kilter, I don't see any similar degradation on other practice like 7 or 10 yard drilling.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Reminds me of my early days in Seattle. There was an indoor range in Renton called Champion Arms that did a plate shoot, maybe Wed/Thurs night kind of thing. This southpaw cop always used to show up in his kit and you do stick out. That was my first taste of competition and it was fun.

25 yard shooting has never been a thing for me until recently. I like the challenge and now shoot at least 1 group at 25 per session.

I posted this in the STI thread from a few days ago. I think this was Blazer Brass 124gr, 6 rounds. And as best I can tell, I was half focused on the front sight, half at the target... it was all blurry.

Today I hit the range again. Same STI but this time 6 rounds of Winchester Ranger 147gr. I really tried to focus on the front sight but then I had a hard time seeing where I was aiming. The USPSA target doesn't help, especially center mass. I was surprised the group was as centered as it was.

Plan for next session, buy or print some B-8s and shoot 10 rounds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've been told by folks that got a lot of coaching from the legendary Army Marksmanship Unit that they got a lot of tips such as day of a match, if you always drink coffee every morning, drink the same that morning. If you don't, DON'T. Same for other habits like say dipping.
    No strength oriented PT for two days before a match or something like that.

I've seen a really good "robotic" young shooter show up at the range with me having come from a deadlift workout (300-400 lbs for reps sort of level) and struggle to find the black at 25 yards.

I think I've seen dehydrated states foul up my precision pretty noticeably.

Nice even bright natural light better than overcast.

It seems all sorts of variables can hit precision hardest. On days when the precision is just off kilter, I don't see any similar degradation on other practice like 7 or 10 yard drilling.
    Glad I said something because that just makes sense.

It generally seems that in trying to accurately poke holes in round circles, not a lot affects me too horribly until beyond 15 yards. Maybe not that great a groups, but they're at least appropriately placed on the paper. That extra ten yards can be the killer, for external conditions, anyway.

Part of it may also well have to do with what range I'm at. When I'm here close to the house, especially late afternoon, it faces west, so glare can get nasty in a hurry. The public range faces north so that's not a subject.

I assumed they would have B-8s at the range. They had B-3 RCs. After coming home and seeing that the B-3 is much smaller than a B-8 I feel a little better about my performance. Lots to work on. Is there any time associated with these drills?

This first 2 pics are from a Staccato P. Warmed up on this, 10 rounds of LAX 135gr HP, new brass ammo.

Another 10 of LAX, Staccato P.

I *think* my 7s would be B-8 9s. So this could be a 98 of some sort. I will say having the defined bull is much easier to shoot at that my normal USPSA target body, although the USPSA head is not too bad.

I brought along my new HK45CT LEM. This is 10 rounds of WWB 230gr. The LEM trigger is actually really nice so I am not sure how I hosed that 1 high round.

I like the sights that came on the HK45CT much better than the Staccato P. There is much more daylight around the front sight and a U-notch rear.

User Tag List