Page 78 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Been carting about a Glock 17 for most of the last year, IoT beta-test some holster stuff for someone; strapped my M&P9s back on, started with a slow-ish fire grouping. Took maybe 45-55sec, pretty pleased to get 'em all in the black on the first go.

Name:  20180330.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  30.5 KB

It's been a very long time since I've posted in this thread, or on PF in general for that matter. I went out the other day and shot for groups with my M&P. I think the last time I shot for group was in late 2015. I warmed up with a dot torture at 5 yards (45/50 with most of the missed shots being on the strong hand/weak hand only part), then some index cards at 7 yards.

I didn't scale the above B8 target properly when I printed it, so the black is only 5" in diameter instead of 5.5". This is my first time with them all in the black, and one of my better groups with the M&P. I was holding around 7-8 o'clock on the edge of the black because my M&P shoots slightly high and to the right. Below is one of my previous targets where I was aiming dead center of the bull:

And at 50 yards:

The gun:

M&P 9mm manufactured April 2011
    Apex Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit
    Apex Polymer AEK trigger
    Apex RAM
    Apex Failure-Resistant Extractor
    Storm Lake match barrel fitted by G&R Tactical
    Heinie Straight-8 Sights
    Removed magazine disconnect
    If not me, then who?

Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

I’ve been noticing lately that my groups have less vertical error, and most of the spread is windage.

25 yds. CZ Shadow 2. 125gr Bluebullets, 3.8gr Prima V.

50 yds, 2 strings of fire.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-01-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Two more strings of extreme right POI today. Not sure if it's the lighting or something else. Focused more intently on the sight alignment on string 3 and got the group more centered.

Speer Lawman 147, drive the dot POA, G19 gen 2.

Name:  b81r.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  b82.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  18.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Gen 3 Glock 19 with American Eagle 115. This is about average for me with my Glock 19. Left to right I'm all over the place. Something I really want to work on with the Glock, I shoot my Sig a bit better ~90. Can clear dot torture at 5 yards and shoot pretty well at 7. Just opens up at 25.

Name:  IMG_20180326_103803.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  38.4 KB

I have developed a lot of bad habits during group shooting over the last year. It started as looking over the sights after every shot and morphed into pretty severe anticipation.

The other day I spent a lot of time shooting groups on freshly painted B/C size steel at 25 yards. I focused on tracking the sights and nothing else. Things were so bad at the beginning that I would miss the target at 25 yards about once out of every 5 shot group.

I shot several groups loading one round at a time so I could break a dry fire shot after every live round. Then I went back to just shooting groups.

After awhile my groups began to improve dramatically. I painted the steel after every group so I could keep track of what was going on.

This is the best “drill” I have found in a long time. All the stress and anticipation of shooting groups went away. Just watching the sights lift and return with zero expectation of the results.

I still have a lot of work to do but I’m really excited by the possibilities.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

The 9mm Operator group was my 10 slow fire @ 25 yds as part of a recent FBI Modified Bullseye that otherwise was not stellar (I threw too many shots out of the black in the 15 yard stages). But the 10 slowfire at 25 were a smile. The gun literally drives nails and the mind and concentration clicked.

The G17 group was from the 25 yard 20 sec and 10 sec stages of my 500 aggregate Sunday.

Attachment 25022

Attachment 25023
    Last edited by JHC; 04-03-2018 at 06:58 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The 9mm Operator group was my 10 slow fire @ 25 yds as part of a recent FBI Modified Bullseye that otherwise was not stellar (I threw too many shots out of the black in the 15 yard stages). But the 10 slowfire at 25 were a smile. The gun literally drives nails and the mind and concentration clicked.

The G17 group was from the 25 yard 20 sec and 10 sec stages of my 500 aggregate Sunday.

Attachment 25022

Attachment 25023
    JHC, what are the details on that 17? OEM barrel? Looks like a Sevigny rear sight, what front do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    JHC, what are the details on that 17? OEM barrel? Looks like a Sevigny rear sight, what front do you have?
    Great questions! There is a KKM barrel in that G17.

As I have generally seen dropping in KKM barrels, the slide to frame fit got tighter and POI raised relative to POA. The front post is a Trijicon yellow HD, .250 tall. This gun's rear sight dovetail was too loose with the only Trijicon HD rear sight I had uncommitted. So fishing around in old spare sight parts I found that Warren Sevigny rear. Very sharp eyes on your part.

The combo of that fat HD front post and the Sevigny rear (.150 I think?) makes for pretty tight light bars. Good POI.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Great questions! There is a KKM barrel in that G17.

As I have generally seen dropping in KKM barrels, the slide to frame fit got tighter and POI raised relative to POA. The front post is a Trijicon yellow HD, .250 tall. This gun's rear sight dovetail was too loose with the only Trijicon HD rear sight I had uncommitted. So fishing around in old spare sight parts I found that Warren Sevigny rear. Very sharp eyes on your part.

The combo of that fat HD front post and the Sevigny rear (.150 I think?) makes for pretty tight light bars. Good POI.
    I thought that group looked a little tight for an OEM 17. Good shooting on your part.

I've been debating putting an Ameriglo .140 ProGlo front on my 19 to pair with a Sevigny rear. Seems like the .140/.150 pairing would be tight. If only they made a .240-.250 tall .125 Pro Glo front...
    Last edited by littlejerry; 04-03-2018 at 09:16 AM.

User Tag List