Page 203 of 203 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203
Results 2,021 to 2,024 of 2024

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Had the chance to shoot a Glock at 25 yards for the first time in ages. I lined up and shot freestyle off to the side of a local club’s bullseye match. This string was shot during the rapid fire portions (5 shots, 10 seconds, repeated for 10 shots total).

Gun: blue label G34 Gen5, stock 5.5 lb trigger (only additions noted below):
    - Gideon Omega on DPP plate
    - Talon granulate grip tape
    Ammo: Federal 124gr HST

Name:  IMG_4462.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  92.6 KB

Shot okay. 99, only 3X. The trigger is plenty usable for practical-sized targets but a detriment to hitting 10s and Xs on demand without a bunch of conscious effort. The pistol’s plenty accurate—it shot dead on call with the HSTs—and the Gen5 trigger is a great improvement, but the hitchy roll and resistance-free overtravel are still there.

Name:  IMG_4457.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  34.3 KB

I honestly believe the Gen5s could be competitive bullseye guns with decent, match-legal triggers and better sights. 4 lb short roll trigger with minimal overtravel, match ammo, and some sharp sights? EIC points all day.

Edit: no clue what is going on the with the images double-posting. Everything looks “normal” on my side when I check the edit page.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JRV; 04-07-2024 at 01:57 PM.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Had the chance to shoot a Glock at 25 yards for the first time in ages. I lined up and shot freestyle off to the side of a local club’s bullseye match. This string was shot during the rapid fire portions (5 shots, 10 seconds, repeated for 10 shots total).

Gun: blue label G34 Gen5, stock 5.5 lb trigger (only additions noted below):
    - Gideon Omega on DPP plate
    - Talon granulate grip tape
    Ammo: Federal 124gr HST

Name:  IMG_4462.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  92.6 KB

Shot okay. 99, only 3X. The trigger is plenty usable for practical-sized targets but a detriment to hitting 10s and Xs on demand without a bunch of conscious effort. The pistol’s plenty accurate—it shot dead on call with the HSTs—and the Gen5 trigger is a great improvement, but the hitchy roll and resistance-free overtravel are still there.

Name:  IMG_4457.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  34.3 KB

I honestly believe the Gen5s could be competitive bullseye guns with decent, match-legal triggers and better sights. 4 lb short roll trigger with minimal overtravel, match ammo, and some sharp sights? EIC points all day.

Edit: no clue what is going on the with the images double-posting. Everything looks “normal” on my side when I check the edit page.
    Throw a Glock Performance Trigger in it… match ammo… and you’re right!

Quote Originally Posted by eric0311 View Post
    Throw a Glock Performance Trigger in it… match ammo… and you’re right!
    What’s the overtravel profile like in the GPT?

For reference, my bullseye guns—the overtravel screws are set to clear the half-cock notch by a quarter screw turn. The pull weight on both is 4 lbs 5 oz, but the sear springs are set to push on the back of the trigger bows with over 2 lbs of force (34 oz). So, there’s a very short overtravel distance, and there’s pressure near half the trigger pull weight pushing forward to decelerate the trigger shoe during overtravel. It makes for a very forgiving trigger. The release dynamics are effectively the same as a 2 lb rimfire trigger.

Some striker triggers break perfectly—roll into wall with near-zero overtravel—striker releases just at the limit of trigger bar movement. Like clicking a five-pound mouse button. Is that what the GPT is like? Or is the only real option a connector or trigger housing with an overtravel stop?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    What’s the overtravel profile like in the GPT?

For reference, my bullseye guns—the overtravel screws are set to clear the half-cock notch by a quarter screw turn. The pull weight on both is 4 lbs 5 oz, but the sear springs are set to push on the back of the trigger bows with over 2 lbs of force (34 oz). So, there’s a very short overtravel distance, and there’s pressure near half the trigger pull weight pushing forward to decelerate the trigger shoe during overtravel. It makes for a very forgiving trigger. The release dynamics are effectively the same as a 2 lb rimfire trigger.

Some striker triggers break perfectly—roll into wall with near-zero overtravel—striker releases just at the limit of trigger bar movement. Like clicking a five-pound mouse button. Is that what the GPT is like? Or is the only real option a connector or trigger housing with an overtravel stop?
    The beauty of the GPT is the initial take-up and clean break. It’s very clean and smooth. It will have over travel, however, compared to your comp triggers. But it is a factory drop-in part, and has been 100% reliable through 4500 rounds (utilizing a factory approved lubrication regimen).

User Tag List