Page 12 of 202 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Hoss, were the above targets shot seated from the bench or standing freestyle?

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Seated but unsupported. See: banana picture.
    If not me, then who?

Oh, forgot to note (unsure of it's importance, though) that these were the first ~200 rounds i fired out of the gun.

picked it up, took it to the range the next day, fired ~10 rounds of PMC on steel to get a feel for the trigger then I shot that 10 round group with gold dots.
    If not me, then who?

Banned
    Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Gee, I've been shooting for over 45 years and until recently I've never heard anyone use the term "freestyle" when referring to offhand hand shooting.

I asked my 76yo Dad who was on a rifle and pistol team when he was in the Navy back in the 50's and he had never heard of it either.

I guess it's an internet/newbie thing.

OP,

You need more practice.

Since your target looks like it was shot with buckshot and not a handgun, you are probably doing just about everything wrong starting with your stance all the way to not focusing on the front sight.

For starters I would recommend that you should buy a target type .22LR semi-auto pistol. It doesn't have to be a high dollar gun or anything, the basic, Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark III, S&W, etc in the $200.00 to $350.00 range will work just fine.

Then have an experienced pistol shooter teach you the basics.

HTH

Paul

"Freestyle" has been commonly used to describe two handed shooting for at least 30 years--reference an IPSC rule book from back in the 1980's and I suspect you will see the term in use...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

Gee, I've been shooting for over 45 years and until recently I've never heard anyone use the term "freestyle" when referring to offhand hand shooting.

I asked my 76yo Dad who was on a rifle and pistol team when he was in the Navy back in the 50's and he had never heard of it either.

I guess it's an internet/newbie thing.

OP,

You need more practice.

Since your target looks like it was shot with buckshot and not a handgun, you are probably doing just about everything wrong starting with your stance all the way to not focusing on the front sight.

For starters I would recommend that you should buy a target type .22LR semi-auto pistol. It doesn't have to be a high dollar gun or anything, the basic, Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark III, S&W, etc in the $200.00 to $350.00 range will work just fine.

Then have an experienced pistol shooter teach you the basics.

HTH

Paul
    Let's see your 25 yard groups, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Let's see your 25 yard groups, dude.
    Ya, I was thinkin the same thing. Stenguns post seemed a little harsh to me.

Has anyone looked at this guys other post, troll much.

Classic case of not reading the entire thread or understanding what's going on...oh well, it's just the internet.

For anyone who cares, I feel I have made some additional progress. Last week I posted pictures of three groups on 3x5 cards. In each group, the POI was slightly high and to the left of the card. This week, they fixed the downrange lights at the local 25yd indoor range, so I decided to give some 25yd groups another shot (pun intended). I was holding on the bottom edge of the repair center for each of the groups below, so it seems the pistol hits about 5-6" high at 25yds. I might have to call Rick @ Ameriglo and check out some other sight height options.

Here are the first two groups:

The spread isn't bad, but definitely left of center. When I look at this along with the groups from last week, that's a pretty consistent slight-left POI. When I asked Vickers about the same thing on my target in his Advanced Pistol Marksmanship class earlier this month, he said it looked like I was doing everything else pretty well and to try drifting the sights. Who knows, maybe I'll find out I was doing something wrong and will eventually move them back, but for now, it seems to have fixed the issue. Final group of the day, fired on the second target above. All rounds in the black and a 3" max spread. Now we're getting somewhere! Sights are Ameriglo CAP's, fired "off-hand, standing" (see, I didn't use that "freestyle" word) from 25yds. The last picture shows the position of the rear sight post-movement:

Just a little bit left today. I think I'm going to try more finger on the trigger.

User Tag List