Page 38 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle shooting at 25 yds revisited

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    You know, I debated posting anything for several days out of fear of it coming across that way. I honestly mean it as a sincere question. I did a 2 yr stint with a pair of M&P 9's and before going back to Glock I considered the G&R SL option. Thus, I'm genuinely interested to see how it's panning out for those that choose that route.
    Initial results are, IMHO, positive. I think I need to apply myself to get more out of it.
    If not me, then who?

Managed my best ever B8 score tonight:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

So what's the trick to getting those last 2 rounds inside the 10 ring? Trigger control? Grip Pressure? Sight picture? I'm afraid this is the kind of thing that getting outside instruction won't help with. Just more practice...ugh!
    Food Court Apprentice

I has to be in the head. I can shoot a 95 - 98 any day. However I have never done better than a 98. I had a 90/90 and shot an 8 on the last shot. For me 55 year old eyes with contacts that could be a power or two higher but I don't want to pickle my near vision so I stay where I am probably isn't helping but it isn't hurting that bad either. My front sight is pretty darn clear. I think I get too obsessed with shifting my vision out to the target in order to perfect the picture.

Back to add:

I hope it is the Roger Banister syndrome (the guy who broke the 4 minute mile). When I cross the rubicon and hit that Elusive 100 from that point forward it will happen on demand (positive attitude).
    Last edited by JohnO; 01-07-2015 at 08:32 PM.

So what's the trick to getting those last 2 rounds inside the 10 ring? Trigger control? Grip Pressure? Sight picture? I'm afraid this is the kind of thing that getting outside instruction won't help with. Just more practice...ugh!
    For me, with a set up very similar to yours, anything not in the 10 ring is in my head, not the mechanics per say.

Lately, it's a lack of attention to follow through.

It all in time spent on good reps.
    Personally, stacking holes in the X ring is fun occasionally, and for accuracy focus reset, but it's not the skill that I am primarily trying to cultivate.
    Precision single shots in conjunction with target transition (proximity to shooter, lateral separation, moving target) I believe to be the most important skills when it comes to an actual violent encounter that is occurring outside of point-shooting distance.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    It all in time spent on good reps.
    Personally, stacking holes in the X ring is fun occasionally, and for accuracy focus reset, but it's not the skill that I am primarily trying to cultivate.
    Precision single shots in conjunction with target transition (proximity to shooter, lateral separation, moving target) I believe to be the most important skills when it comes to an actual violent encounter that is occurring outside of point-shooting distance.
    I agree with you on skillset. My thought process is not to try and build bullseye skill for the sake of bullseye, but rather, I view it as a benchmark/test device. It seems to me that if I cannot put 10 rounds in the 10 ring under range conditions with no time requirements or target transitions, then I'm probably not able to do so with stress added. For sure, my ability to do those things has improved as my overall skill with the pistol has improved (look at the first post in this thread) and I'm having good success in the local club 3-gun match (I took first overall out of 43 last month). However, there's still something missing. Probably, like you say, it's just time and reps. It just seems to me that if all the fundamentals are in-line on every shot, then whether shooting groups on a bullseye, or shooting for precision, at speed, with target transitions, everything should be a hit.

I'd like to think my fundamentals are pretty solid, but the target above is proof that they're not 100%, yet.
    Food Court Apprentice

For me, it's a loss of mental focus. It's pretty easy for the mind to wonder a bit on longer, slower, shot strings. From your target, you clearly have the fundamental ability to stack them in the bull. Accuracy shooting at distance demands complete mental focus on the fundamentals from start to finish. At any point you find your attention starting to drift; stop for a bit, then finish your string. Drifting mental focus was the bane of my PPC shooting.

Girsan Regard 9mm, 124g American Eagle, 1st shot DA. 93 - 2X

Thinking about shooting some GSSF indoor. I guess this would work:

Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List