Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: I went insane this week

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Ah… such five-screw goodness.

If that isn't a BBQ gun, then I've never seen one.

I almost make a joke about BBQ guns in Texas. I found out when I moved here that there is no such thing. Nobody knows what I am talking about. So now it is kind of a funny joke. Kind of like when I am out training with the bubba's in rural areas and I tell them about qualifying in SoCal by standing on the beach and shooting into the Pacific Ocean under the palm trees. Some actually believe me. In a locker room somewhere a cop is relating that in California they qualify on the gosh darn beach!.

In all seriousness, what I have found is a real fondness for the engraved and adorned guns. It is like a pride in your office thing with the rural L/E guys. Also, I have heard that they make for good "court guns". Kind of like wearing a suit and tie. I will say that the one guy I saw in the whole outfit right down to a vest with a pocket watch and fob with a 1911 that I am sure was his dads and maybe grandfather's as well with well worn Stag grips in a ................f*cking Fobus holster was a HUGE let down for me. On the other hand, the local Texas Ranger for the department I hang out a lot is one of the best dressed LEO's I have ever seen. Gorgeous adorned leather and a nice 1911.

I am getting the above gun engraved. The debate is traditional vs. something like cattle brands or barbed wire. I'll work it out with the engraver.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I am getting the above gun engraved. The debate is traditional vs. something like cattle brands or barbed wire. I'll work it out with the engraver.
    Is he gonna strip the nickle first? What re-finish do you plan on?

On the one hand, I think it a bit scandalous that you plan to have such a treasure engraved… OTOH, its YOUR treasure, so more power to you.

Part of the "selling point" was that it is a factory re nickel. It is good because it is factory, but I also don't feel as bad by ruining a rare original nickel.
    I am thinking of doing a through the nickel engraving, but I need to talk to the engraver about what the best route is as this is all new to me.
    If it is not going to work out with engraving, I am quite happy leaving it just the way it is and maybe buying an engraved pistol down the road, or getting a gun in the white to do it right.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 05-31-2014 at 06:03 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

I am thinking of doing a through the nickel engraving,
    Huh? Can they do that without getting through the copper base? I rather doubt it… and then you'd have a just-about-guaranteed case peeling and flaking, in short order.

Huh? Can they do that without getting through the copper base? I rather doubt it… and then you'd have a just-about-guaranteed case peeling and flaking, in short order.

I heard of a guy that engraved a couple Colt SAA's that were nickel. He engraved through the nickel, then cold blued the engraved parts. I was told it looked pretty good, but never heard about flaking. I don't know who has those guns.

It would definitely be engraved through the copper layer.

Wolf and Klar engraving is through the nickel. It is considered by "engraving standards" to be poor engraving. With that said, Wolf and Klar guns were often working cop revolvers of their time, and have a TON of Texas history. Most of the the so-called BBQ guns are likely Wolf and Klar guns that were ordered as nickel guns and then engraved at the Fort Worth pawn shop (based on my couple days of internet research). Many Texas lawmen would have their names engraved on these working revolvers along with the rough engraving. They were also famous for the steer head grips along with those adorned revolvers. Nothing has changed with cops.....they went cheap 70 years ago too. Wolf and Klar was kind of the Serpa/5.11 of their day.

Also, Malamute is on the money. From what I understand, blueing on top of the engraving is supposed to look great.

One of the guns sitting in the safe as a project is an old Colt New Service in .38-40. I bought it to make a "Fitz" out of it, as it has a terrible nickel job and is not in particularly good shape. I am thinking that I may get a "working cop" engraving job on it when I get around to finding somebody to do the "Fitz" conversion. I think it would be a better example of a creating a depression era cop gun and I'll leave the Smith in all its shiny glory.

Wolf and Klar engraving is through the nickel. It is considered by "engraving standards" to be poor engraving. With that said, Wolf and Klar guns were often working cop revolvers of their time, and have a TON of Texas history. Most of the the so-called BBQ guns are likely Wolf and Klar guns that were ordered as nickel guns and then engraved at the Fort Worth pawn shop (based on my couple days of internet research). Many Texas lawmen would have their names engraved on these working revolvers along with the rough engraving. They were also famous for the steer head grips along with those adorned revolvers. Nothing has changed with cops.....they went cheap 70 years ago too. Wolf and Klar was kind of the Serpa/5.11 of their day.

Also, Malamute is on the money. From what I understand, blueing on top of the engraving is supposed to look great.

One of the guns sitting in the safe as a project is an old Colt New Service in .38-40. I bought it to make a "Fitz" out of it, as it has a terrible nickel job and is not in particularly good shape. I am thinking that I may get a "working cop" engraving job on it when I get around to finding somebody to do the "Fitz" conversion. I think it would be a better example of a creating a depression era cop gun and I'll leave the Smith in all its shiny glory.
    Nickel Smiths and Colt SAA's have a certain class about them that doesn't require much beyond nice grips. Good color-case hardening colors on the hammer and trigger stand out well on nickel. Your pre-27 is a real looker just the way it is.

I'd be tempted to get the New Service de-nickeled, cleaned up properly if it can be done, and maybe a decent engraving job on it, then a nice finish, maybe a factory re-nickel?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Nickel Smiths and Colt SAA's have a certain class about them that doesn't require much beyond nice grips. Good color-case hardening colors on the hammer and trigger stand out well on nickel. Your pre-27 is a real looker just the way it is.

I'd be tempted to get the New Service de-nickeled, cleaned up properly if it can be done, and maybe a decent engraving job on it, then a nice finish, maybe a factory re-nickel?
    I am made a couple of calls when this whole adventure started to get some logic involved as I know I am running on pure emotion. This thread has also helped "talk me down". I think you are 100 percent right on this one and that Colt would make for a better experiment.......plus I am only into that one for under $250, so I am not rolling the dice on ruining something expensive.

I am made a couple of calls when this whole adventure started to get some logic involved as I know I am running on pure emotion. This thread has also helped "talk me down". I think you are 100 percent right on this one and that Colt would make for a better experiment.......plus I am only into that one for under $250, so I am not rolling the dice on ruining something expensive.
    Interesting thoughts. I like the "get some logic involved" idea. I should try that some time.

The Smith doesn't need any help, its a great piece as is, even being a factory refinish. The Colt could be a cool usable gun again with a little TLC.

I was temped by a New Service that was in the $350 range. I think you got into it pretty right, even if it takes a little effort to get it all ready for taking out in public. Well restored/saved guns make me smile, even though all factory original is very cool. Maybe that's why I get rescue dogs?

Yea, I have a bunch of rescues in the safe. I've spent a good amount of cash over the years "saving guns" and some great projects. It is fun obsessing over the process.

On another note, here is a neat thread I just found about the Wolf and Klar guns. Warning.....it is both interesting and will hurt your eyes with what was done to "embellish" all these old cop guns. Great history lesson none the less.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...s-surface.html

User Tag List