Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I went insane this week

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Wish I knew how?????

Send them along to the Frontier Outpost Tech Services.

Sweet! I've got a 681-2 that was an unfired police trade in. I sent it back to S&W for an action job and bead blast and it came back really nice, though not as pretty as your two. It's one of those comforting, rather than comfortable, carry guns.
    Regards,
    Chuck

I always thought the 681 never got the respect it should have. It would have been perfect with a round butt and a 3" barrel, but alas, it was overshadowed by its brother, the 686.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by charliefox View Post
    I always thought the 681 never got the respect it should have. It would have been perfect with a round butt and a 3" barrel, but alas, it was overshadowed by its brother, the 686.
    Initial impressions mirror this. I had a both a Horton 2 3/4" and 4" 686 before I got hired as a cop. After that they sort of faded because we carried N frames to handle our .45 Colt loads, and when I carried .38/.357 it was in an off-duty capacity with a 3" 13. Later all my guns in this caliber were usually smaller.

So, my initial impressions with the 4" Camfour Quad Port Performance Center 681 is this: It is perfect for what Hizzie was using it for. It would have been sort of the pinnacle of a L/E duty gun for an officer mandated to or preferring to carry a revolver. It serves very few uses for me, other than neat as heck, and super rare. For competition the 7 rounds and porting pretty much make it IDPA unfriendly (yet it is really practical as a real world gun....weird). The fixed sights hold it back for the competitive venues where it would be legal. The 3" variant makes a bit more sense, which is why I jumped on the 3" Horton gun......I am going to carry that thing. I sort of wish I could slam the PC681 4" together with my 686SSR and take the features I like from both for a IDPA gun. For right now, I am happy as a clam to have the Police Duty Revolver taken to the hilt. The moon clip cut allows for use of moon clipped ammo for the initial loading to aid in extraction and admin duties and I am going to work with the long handled SL Variant loaders and I have a feeling these are going to be the heat with this. I like the idea of the quad ports for shooting full house defensive .357. I have always liked Magna-porting with the hot magnum revolver cartridges. Front sight will likely get some color on this one, while the Horton may get a trip to tool tech for tritium. The round butt configuration adds some ability to take a lot of different grips, although on 4 inch or longer guns I usually like a square butt configuration. No lock......which simply makes me happy. Its got a very good trigger with an over-travel stop, which is a positive all around.

So again, a 1 of 50 gun that would have sold like hot cakes in Southern California in my early years, especially at L.A. County Sheriff's. I am ordering a non-ported 4" tube for it just to have in case some day there is a venue that it works perfect in but the ports cause and issue........but really just to have as it will add to its rare status. I look at this as my Glock 17's cut to take 19 mags. Its the gun Smith should have been churning out a long time ago. The round butt 681 would have been great in the revolver hey day, especially in a 3".
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 05-10-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    The great thing about L frame and N frames is they make a good impact weapon if needed...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The great thing about L frame and N frames is they make a good impact weapon if needed...
    It's hard to make a shocked face and pretend that I have no idea what you are talking about when the Hebrew Hammer (4" .45 Colt N frame) has a set of teeth marks in the trigger guard . There is a guy strolling around SoCal with the perfect imprint of the entire front end of a Glock 17 scarred into his temple. That was mine as well and it was back in 1988 when I was carrying the Hammer on duty but the Glock was an off duty. I remember noting at the time that the Glock did not have even close to the same effect as the Hammer had in similar circumstances. It was sort of a "note to self...don't hit guys with these new fangled polymer guns, they suck".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

I don't want to come across as contentious so please don't take my comments as such.

I had three of the CS 686's at one time. A 4", a 3" and a 3" with Magna-Ports. I sold the 4" for a lot less than I could get for it now.
    I carried the ported 3" and used the unmolested one for IDPA and the occasional IPSC match. The only time I shot the ported 3" in matches was when we had low light/Armed Citizen style matches. I found out really fast that shooting a ported revolver from retention was a Bad Idea. Especially with 1450fps 125gr HP's. I eventually sold the ported 3" (once again for a lot less than I could get for it now.)
    The idea of finding a cosmetically challenged 581 and putting a 3" barrel with a round butt conversion has stuck with me for quite some time.

The Competition handles screw off the SLVs. They are much faster than those HKS you are used to. I routinely beat my brothers on the line during reloads, even with their fancy bottom feeders. I wish I had pics from when I carried that beast on duty.

ETA - Ohio qualification had hip shooting as part of the requirements. I ran the Federal 357B 125gr 357 magnum JHP load. I never had any issues. Several other officers did blame their low scores on my muzzle blast/flash though.

Well.........it continues. Heard one of the local cop shops had some police trade ins from overseas..............

A 3" Square Butt Model 10-5 in pretty good shape, and a 2.5" 686-3 were rescued from the masses. The 686 needs some grips as they are sort of a weird size and I haven't found any regular RB K/L grips that fit yet. The 10-5 just need a Tyler or Pachmayr T grip and it will be a bad ass little gun. I really like it. The 686 may end up being a good Bowen Project or maybe trade fodder.

You sling any lead down range with that 681 yet?

User Tag List