Thread: Sling (3-point?) for Winchester Defender 8-shot???

Sling (3-point?) for Winchester Defender 8-shot???

I have a Winchester Defender 8-shot synthetic stocked 12 gauge w/Hogue 12" LOP stock and green Tru-Glo front sight. I am considering buying a sling... to carry horizontally at the ready position. I would like advice on the type and model others prefer... and why you prefer your choice.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...P/MVC-818F.jpg

Sling (3-point?) for Winchester Defender 8-shot???

VTAC or Vickers 2 Point. Frank Proctors sling would also be useful if you don't want to invest in any mounting hardware.

Why:

1) 3 Point slings have more tendency to snag on other gear or get in the way of manipulations.

2) 3 Points are more complex to perform shoulder transitions (at least for me)

3) 3 Points are heavier and bulkier.

4) VTAC and Vickers slings are on my carbines. Why lose all that familiarity, commonality, and prior training time... Especially when the shotgun is handled identically (other than having to reload all the time)?
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

I'd skip the 3 point sling entirely. Go with either a simple carry strap ("parade sling") or go with one of the adjustable two points mentioned above. Boonie Packer, MagPul, and Mission Ready Equipment all make adjusting two points as well.

If you go that route, consider a buttstock adapter such as: http://www.blueforcegear.com/a2-buttstock-adapter.html

3pts were a great 90s-era alternative to standard configuration parade slings/carry-straps. They've been eclipsed.

The Proctor Sling is a very simple, yet very good, adjustable 2pt sling. Not spendy, goes on just about anything as-is, without adapters. Take the 550 cord portions off if you want to use other mounting solutions like QD swivels, mash or HK hooks, etc.

http://www.wayofthegun.us/store/

A shotgun doesn't weigh 20+ pounds loaded, like a machine gun, so whether or not flagging everybody around you when you turn is gonna net you any benefits that'll make all the yelling and outrage worthwhile is something that rates consideration beyond marketing photos that try to make 3pts still appear relevant.

If it is, you can still horizontal-carry with a 2pt sling.

2 point adjustable is my shotgun sling of choice these days.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Bad idea, there's a reason that hardly anyone uses them anymore.

I used to run a 3 point on an 870. I had a lot of problems with grabbing the forend and the part of the sling that ran down the side of the shotgun. If I had a handful of sling, after the first shot the shotgun was was about as useful as a football bat. After a half day at a low light/building clearing school, I quickly converted the three point to a hap hazard 2 point sling, and then bought a VCAS. Initially I had it set up so that the front of the loop was set in front of the receiver and had an occasional problem with my wrist watch getting caught in the V of the sling when returning the forend forward (that should have been my first clue to drop it).

I never had it happen to me, but it is possible for the part of the 3 point that runs along side the shotgun to get caught between the forend and the barrel and jam up the gun.

User Tag List