Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elite knife versus gun

Elite knife versus gun

"Conceal-a-ment condition!"

Elite Knife Fighter vs Elite Gun Fighter - RAW, U…: http://youtu.be/2fjMpn7JCJ0

LOL. Yeah ok.

Really should be titled "Knife guy can stab you if your back is turned"

Site Supporter
    There was a funny episode of Justified about the Tueller drill....

But on to business. I think his "Concealamente" was substandard, but the ideas were interesting. Especially the backwards fall. That'd be cool for AIWB I bet. The dedicated Tueller nuts seem to really believe a knife is capable of removing you from the world immediately. Yes, I might get stabbed a few times, but unless I sit there and make no effort at blocking that knife at all while he carves me up like christmas dinner, I'll also shoot the bad guy a few times. Whether or not I survive, a knife wound is not all that debilitating unless my assailant is a skilled practitioner of FMA and cuts my tendons/nerves. But if he plunges his knife in to my right lung a couple times or if I can get him to miss my main circulatory trunk, I still have the chance of getting my gun into play. And then his chances of victory are less certain.

Simply put, if his victory includes harming not just me, but people I care for, I'd happily take him as my plus one to the afterlife.

Yes, hand to hand combat is probably a better option, or at least enough of it to get to your gun, but getting into a fight with a guy who has a knife means you'll get cut. Or stabbed. Do your best to avoid stabs, and just accept the slash or two. Don't let it get your eyes, throat, or the inside of your arm and anatomically, you've got some time to get to gunplay. You'll need a hospital, but hey, you took that first aid course when you contemplated using force to protect yourself and your loved ones right?

Though I do wonder. If somebody is obviously telegraphing "I've got a knife, and I'm gonna stab you with it" and bum rushes Origami AK with his AIWB gear and Ludovici wig, what would be the obvious conclusion? He'd get shot. Likely several times. More than likely fatally.

Granted, I suspect it is hardly ever so cut and dried, but the whole idea of "Oh wow, that guy is armed, and may want to kill me, but I'll keep my gun holstered" is mildly silly to put it gently. If somebody has a weapon and is obviously a threat, it would make sense for me to at least have my hand on my weapon, if not have it out and zeroed right on their AV node.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If somebody has a weapon and is obviously a threat, it would make sense for me to at least have my hand on my weapon, if not have it out and zeroed right on their AV node.
    Weapon in hand is a weapon in play, guy is eating JHP.

Most knife guys are just crazy stupid -- there is a reason why folks carry guns these days and not swords.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Most knife guys are just crazy stupid -- there is a reason why folks carry guns these days and not swords.
    As a long-time teacher of knife, I concur with both observations.

Site Supporter

Up until recently (Illinois) my best option for a self defense tool was likely the Cold Steel Spartan that I felt I needed for reasons and later discovered to be useless. I am more conservative now with the Spyderco Endura and my "redneck wave" zip tie mod.

Until that permit gets here though, I'm still less well armed than a guy with a baseball bat, which seem to be preferred by those thugs in the city who aren't more loaded down than the cops. Off Topic Truth: I saw a cop in Union Station with a 3rd gen smith that was missing a quarter of a grip panel. The upper right grip panel was just gone. And people ask why I applied for a CCW. "Don't you trust the police to protect you from criminals?"

Back on topic, for a while, I just never saw the knife as a very good weapon. More often than not, with my background in Jiu Jitsu, and Isshin-ryu karate, I saw the knife as something that would occupy one of my two most important weapons until I went to a seminar with the rest of my Dojo. A Sensei by the name of Advincula used rubber knives and showed us just how effectively a knife could be deployed. I've always been quite respectful of Escrima and Filipino Martial Arts in general since then.

But lets face it, a gun is a gun. I still want to learn FMA, but finding an instructor in my area is bleh.

And anytime I respond to a "man armed with a knife" run, I try to put some type of physical barrier between me and the guy with the knife. Plus I have no intention of standing still as I shoot. If the guy with a knife can move toward me, I get to move laterally as I shoot him. After all, fair is fair?

I remember talking with Dennis Tueller one day and he commented something to the effect that the "Tueller Drill" had become one of the most misunderstood concepts in the world of firearms training and tactics and it generally was presented as something that had nothing to do with what he was saying in the original article. I tend to agree with him.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

"It would be safe to say then that an armed attacker at 21 feet is well within your Danger Zone."

I dare to read that without hearing Archer's voice.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

User Tag List