Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you cross-train with different weapon systems?

Yes, I do it as a necessity and because I enjoy it. I teach rifle, pistol, shotgun, subgun and precision rifle to a cross section of students who are very experienced individuals that may utilize a variety of weapons. Because of this I have the need to stay highly proficient on all weapon categories and weapon manufacturer / types that I generally encounter. I also enjoy it. It means I spend a lot of time on a range shooting, but I am provided with the time and resources to do it and I also get a paycheck. Might I be a better shooter if I focused on only 1 thing? Yes, of that I am sure as I am narrowly focusing on the Glock pistol right now and my skills sets have very much increased, more so than even I had anticipated, but I do enjoy shooting for the fun of it and I like shooting a variety of weapon types. I need to do it while I am still getting paid to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    It has less than 1mm on each side.

Mark is an artist with the install. Does not print noticeably different than my wife's normal Shield.
    I'll have to look into that. I love my Shield, and a dot would make it super rad.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I cheat cause my BUG is a S&W Shield with DeltaPoint -
    I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I find that intriguing.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Any chance you could post a picture of this?
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...eld#post194368

Page 43.

I will spend probably 90% of my shooting time these days with some sort of Glock, but I do try to maintain familiarity with the other guns. Back when I was spending a lot of time as a traveling firearms trainer I cycled through a different platform every 3 months so I could stay up with whatever I was likely to encounter. FWIW, one cycle each year was also done strictly off-hand, including matches.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I wouldn't call it cross training but I shoot different guns for different matches:
    USPSA/SCSA: M&P 9 Pro 5"
    NRA AP/Bianchi: XDM 9 5.25"
    IPSC Classic/USPSA SS: STI Trojan V 9mm
    GSSF: Glock Gen 4 9mm

But unless a match is approaching that requires one of the other guns almost all my shooting is done with my M&P.

I haven't really done much DA/SA shooting but I am waiting on a CZ P-07 after everyone and his brother started slathering it with praise. I think it's good to be competent with multiple types of weapons.

If I die in a gunfight (HIGHLY unlikely), I seriously doubt it will be due to splitting time/resources amongst different guns.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

User Tag List