Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you cross-train with different weapon systems?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    sounds like good work if you can get it -- what is your secret?
    Be an average shooter, a good writer, and an excellent salesman.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Be an average shooter, a good writer, and an excellent salesman.
    Also, excellent t-shirt collection.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I do much better when I stick with practicing with my primary firearms: typically a BUG, service pistol, shotgun, carbine, and precision rifle. FWIW, most of my time gets spent on the service pistol, as that is what I would have with me the majority of time.
    This.

I cheat cause my BUG is a S&W Shield with DeltaPoint - to mirror the sights on the Carry/Duty Gun.

I spend 80% of my shooting on pistol - as the fundamentals transfer to the others.

Occasionally when shooting with friends (though LLB never shoots with me anymore) I'll bring out other guns, or try theirs - its never more than a mag or two, and 80-90% of my pistol effort goes into my primary, 10-19% into the BUG the other maybe 1% is for other guns, the occasional wheelgun, my 1911, Glocks etc.

While shooting a lot of guns is fun, proficiency at my allowable time and ammo expenditure levels is best done with my primary gun.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I cheat cause my BUG is a S&W Shield with DeltaPoint - to mirror the sights on the Carry/Duty Gun.
    Is there a lot of the sight that hangs over the edges of the slide?

A bit, but it works fine the way Mark Housel mounts them.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

It has less than 1mm on each side.

Mark is an artist with the install. Does not print noticeably different than my wife's normal Shield.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Of course. Guns are fun and life is too short to only shoot one at a time.
    ^^^^
    THIS! Of course if we are too manly to admit that we're having fun (while building and maintaining vital skills), then we can rationalize some scenario in which we have to "operate" with a battlefield pick-up or a sterile weapon .

Guns are fun. Life is short...maybe shorter if you can't run your gun.

Rosco

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Some questions for you PF members...Do you find value in cross-training with different weapons systems, or do you dedicate the vast majority of your training/effort to the mastery of one specific weapons system? If you do cross-train, how often do you include other weapons/different weapons systems into your training? I've been training with Glocks exclusively for roughly 3 years now, and in the past year I've made a few firearms purchases beyond the realm of my striker-fired pistol world. Training/shooting exclusively with Glocks became somewhat boring to me, so this past year I picked up a 1911, a S&W 686, and I just purchased a Sig P226. I plan on regularly including the 1911, 686 and P226 in my training/competition regimen in the hopes that whatever marksmanship/gun handling improvements I gain from running these weapons systems will translate to my abilities with my Glocks. Just wondering if others on here do the same.
    I used to, but after I switched to Glocks about four years ago, I focused on them exclusively. I'm picking up a P30 next week for T&E, but I'll still focus on the Glock.

Okie John

I focus on one gun or closely-related family of guns at a time, sometimes for a very long time by PF standards.

At the same time, I try to regularly shoot other guns to maintain familiarity. I like being able to pick up anything from a Beretta to a SIG and shoot it reasonably well, not to mention run it without having to puzzle over the controls. It's one thing to recommend to someone that they practice their DA work on a SIG by decocking between shots, quite another to be able to smoothly demo same without having to look for said decocker every time.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Do you cross-train with different weapon systems?

I tend to stick with manufacturers and trigger systems for extended periods of time. It used to be Sigs (P220, P239, P229), then it was V3 P-Series HKs. Now it's V1 P-Series HKs.

I've always felt like I'd rather shoot one gun well vs. 5 different guns ok....then I get multiples of said gun.

I also like my carry guns (one fullsize and one sub compact) to have identical manipulations (P30 and P2000sk).

I recently bought a couple more HKs, and plan to sell my last two Sigs. I just never shoot them, and haven't carried them in years.

User Tag List