Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How reliable are Makarov's?

How reliable are Makarov's?

Gentlemen,

Here is a question for experienced Makarov owners. How are they regarding reliability? I have inherited a very nice German Makarov in 9x18, along with two german magazines and I was wondering about it. If I were to use it for personal protection, I would require it to be near perfect reliable in feed and function.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

Gene

i can shoot the mak accurately, but it bites my hand web most of the time.. bone dry and neglected, it is still reliable.

I've got a 1961 East German Mak, and it's been stone reliable using FMJ.

I do find the sights to be useless and dislike the mag release.

I've got a Russian made Makarov bought in the early 90s...chambered for the 9mm Makarov cartridge...

It's always been stone cold reliable...Don't think I've ever had a malfunction....factory made, or reloads...

Ditto for me as well. As Marko Koos once said, Maks are sort of pre-Glock Glocks in terms of reliability.

Mine went bang every time with FMJ; not so much with hollow points. Not the guns fault, just got to feed it what it likes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My E. German Mak has always been reliable and it's very accurate too. It has never had a stoppage with any brand or type of FMJ or the somewhat limited amount of JHP I've run through it. I carry it occasionally.

There's a lot less to go wrong in the feed cycle of simple blowback gun like a Makarov or PPK.

I've always found the Makarov to be like every other combloc weapon: highly reliable and simple while lacking in refinement.

The only hesitations I'd have in using one for carry concern performance and maintenance. The 9x18 falls below the power threshold I find acceptable for a defensive weapon. Also, I'm hesitant to carry a weapon for which parts may be hard to find. I haven't delved deeply into the Makarov world, but if I'm training with my carry weapon as I should be something is going to break sooner or later. When that happens how easy is it to find parts for the Makarov? Are they easily available on the surplus market? I don't know, but these are questions I'd have to resolve before using one for serious social purposes.

The Makarov also has a perfect record of 1 shot stops.

When applied directly to the back of a dissident's skull.

User Tag List