Thread: Carbon Steel Welding

Carbon Steel Welding

Was awful compared with the SA stainless....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Pardon my ignorance, but what was awful? The frame itself, or something about welding carbon steel?

Site Supporter
    As Charles Barkley would say: "It's just turrible."

I think you should send that abomination to me forthwith and I will struggle with the burden of owning it

JK, that work still looks amazing. Let's face it, at least it wasn't worked over with a ball peen hammer. I seem to recall a post about welding up a frame that got the "1960's garage gunsmith" treatment like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    ... Let's face it, at least it wasn't worked over with a ball peen hammer. I seem to recall a post about welding up a frame that got the "1960's garage gunsmith" treatment like that.
    That is the frame Bill mentioned earlier. Maybe he can post a photo of the welds on the left front rail that had been given the blacksmith treatment.
    Dave Berryhill

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what was awful? The frame itself, or something about welding carbon steel?
    The resulting weld quality is significantly off from the standard seen when Bill previously laser-welded a built up area onto a stainless frame. The irregularity of the weld lines shows the difference.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

This frame and filler combo sputtrted and splattered significantly.

The SA was like perfectly done artisan bacon. This was more like tactical canned bacon. Best analogy I can come up with.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

User Tag List