Page 92 of 242 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Wrapping gifts isn't one of my favorite things to do, but it sure helps when you are sipping good whiskey. Quality of wrapping not materially altered by my BAC. Shitty either way.

Early stocking stuffer of Makers 46. First bottle of Makers. It’s pretty good. I think it could be a decent substitute for Buffalo Trace until I find it again.

Site Supporter
    Stopped by for Christmas booze today and still no Buffalo Trace on the shelves, let alone Blanton's.

The dude told me he had a few bottles of Weller in the back and he wasn't planning to put them out, so I came home with a bottle. Awesome price if it turns out to be a good bourbon. I know others here on the forum have tried it and like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Stopped by for Christmas booze today and still no Buffalo Trace on the shelves, let alone Blanton's.

The dude told me he had a few bottles of Weller in the back and he wasn't planning to put them out, so I came home with a bottle. Awesome price if it turns out to be a good bourbon. I know others here on the forum have tried it and like it.
    Keep us posted please. I'm running low on Buffalo Trace and will need to pick up a bottle of bourbon soon. Not sure what the local shop is stocking these days.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Thank you. For folks new to Balcones, I usually suggest they try Baby Blue first. It's their most popular and best-selling whiskey. It's replaced Buffalo Trace as my "house Bourbon".

Their rye is really nice, too. For folks that are not "really into rye", it can be a pleasant surprise. It does not have the initial bite or burn of most traditional rye whiskey. And it makes an awesome Manhattan!

And the single malt is also very good, and gets a lot of very good reviews. It drinks like a 10-12 year bottle from Scotland, pretty dang smooth for it's age. They have some peated stuff as well. Their Mirador release reminds me of Dalwhinnie - a very pleasant SMS that is a great introduction.

Rumble is great if you are into brandy or cognac, and Brimstone is for smoke-lover's.

Hope that helps.
    I do still want to try their Rye on your recommendation, but I find the several varieties I've sampled thus far to be more like Whisky than Whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Hmmmm - some day we need to have a Smoky Saturday. Gun smoke, wood smoke, peat smoke and tobacco smoke. Shoot revolvers, then eat BBQ, drink whiskey and smoke cigars. Like the HiTS revolver Roundup with designated drivers.

I did that yesterday with some friends, and it was a very pleasant day.
    Add in a firepit between the Whiskey and Cigars!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by justcor View Post
    Current freezer stash. Really liking Makers 46.
    Attachment 33481
    I've not met anyone other than me that refrigerates booze. High five.!

I keep my Whiskeys in the fridge or the wine fridge and vodka in the freezer. Can't stand warm booze.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've not met anyone other than me that refrigerates booze. High five.!

I keep my Whiskeys in the fridge or the wine fridge and vodka in the freezer. Can't stand warm booze.
    I was just about to unsubscribe from this thread when I spotted this. I'm too much of a wuss to drink bourbon but I've gotten into peach brandy lately and I keep that in the fridge.

Did Christmas with my family yesterday, and in recent years my brother & I have just been buying each other a bottle of booze, usually scotch or bourbon.

I was at my local shop earlier in the week and noticed they had Buffalo Trace so I grabbed a bottle, haven't opened it yet. But then I saw a bottle of Basil Hayden's and it caught my eye and then I remembered you fellas talking about it, so I grabbed it for my brother. I haven't tried it yet, but if giving a bottle to your brother isn't a a great way to get to sample a new bourbon I don't know what is.

So we're unwrapping gifts (I play Santa, hence the hat) and I present him with his bottle. As he's unwrapping it his wife sees what it is, quickly snatches his gift for me, hands it to me and says, "Open this one right now, the timing will be great!".

Well, good minds think alike I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

I do still want to try their Rye on your recommendation, but I find the several varieties I've sampled thus far to be more like Whisky than Whiskey.
    Good catch. Yup, that is the Golden Promise malted barley they import from Scotland. It usually makes up between 5 and 15 percent of their mashbill.

Add in a firepit between the Whiskey and Cigars!
    Perfecto!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    Did Christmas with my family yesterday, and in recent years my brother & I have just been buying each other a bottle of booze, usually scotch or bourbon.

I was at my local shop earlier in the week and noticed they had Buffalo Trace so I grabbed a bottle, haven't opened it yet. But then I saw a bottle of Basil Hayden's and it caught my eye and then I remembered you fellas talking about it, so I grabbed it for my brother. I haven't tried it yet, but if giving a bottle to your brother isn't a a great way to get to sample a new bourbon I don't know what is.

So we're unwrapping gifts (I play Santa, hence the hat) and I present him with his bottle. As he's unwrapping it his wife sees what it is, quickly snatches his gift for me, hands it to me and says, "Open this one right now, the timing will be great!".

Well, good minds think alike I guess.
    Dude, that is awesome! And I love me some Basil Haydens. I'll hunting for some of their new 10-year-old.

User Tag List