Page 90 of 242 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Old Phart View Post
    Because the title of the thread is Sippin' Bourbon??? Not everyone is going to go back four years and read the OP.
    Didn't stop the scotch drinkers on p14, 17 or 20...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Scotch devotees tend to be as incorrigible as crossfitters or vegans, IME. First rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about fight club whereas crossfit vegans can't STFU about it. I understand that it happens, I'm just saying I expect more out of you, Sidheshooter. I think you should go buy a bottle of decent $ bourbon and drink it while you think about what you've done here.

And Merry Christmas, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    For something cheap, fighting cock is actually pretty decent for 17 a bottle.
    Noted. Just saw a bottle in the store the other day.

I was contemplating Knob Creek. Unfortunately, my 25 year old son was with me, and went all Beavis & Butthead, "Knob...heh, heh, knob". Now I can't even think about buying it without hearing that in my head.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 12-20-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Stopped into a shop I have never been in before today and snagged this for $21.99.

I know it's not their antique 107 or the 12 year but the owner nonchalantly said "oh, that stuff comes in pretty regularly."

Guess I found my new go to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Noted. Just saw a bottle in the store the other day.

I was contemplating Knob Creek. Unfortunately, my 25 year old son was with me, and went all Beavis & Butthead, "Knob...heh, heh, knob". Now I can't even think about buying it without hearing that in my head.
    Show him this, and enjoy the precious quiet:

Name:  golden.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  41.8 KB

I drove down to Waco today, and picked up a pair of distillery-only bottles. Balcones did two test barrels of their Brimstone Bourbon, and I snag one of each for Christmas gifts.

One is Brimstone Redux, and it's a version of Brimstone Resurrection. That was a "happy accident" that they re-created with this barrel. A complex story that is too long to retell in this thread. It's going to a friend.

Name:  Redux.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  54.0 KB

The other bottle is Brimstone PX - a Bourbon that was aged in a Pedro Ximenez sherry cask. Very, very tasty indeed! That's going to be part of a knife swap.

Name:  PX.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  card.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  67.2 KB

And a very kind friend gave me a bottle of something very, very neat from the Spoetzl Brewery - the people that make Shiner beer. They did an experiment aging some beer in a set of used Bourbon barrels.

Name:  Shiner.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  31.0 KB

It. Is. Lovely. I got to try some at their distillery when it was first made, but have never even seen another bottle now. A very kind fellow gave me one today.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Larry, we are getting a fair bit of the Weller Special Reserve here as well. Antique and 12-year-old still proves elusive. That's a great whiskey for 22 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Larry, we are getting a fair bit of the Weller Special Reserve here as well. Antique and 12-year-old still proves elusive. That's a great whiskey for 22 bucks.
    Absolutely! Same shop had about 6 bottles of Blanton's, some rare breed and a few random 1792 bottles on the shelves.

Fantastic people who own this little shop, they now have me as a customer.

The issue is limiting my visits. From what I hear Friday is the day most shops get their deliveries.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

@SeriousStudent I'm very jealous of both the Balcones score and that bottle from Spoetzl! I was a Baylor student many moons ago, and one of the few things I am going to do in Waco on my next trip through there is a stop at Balcones. I discovered them 5-6 years ago but it's hard to find in Atlanta, unfortunately. But that's a great haul and some awesome Christmas gifts to both give and to receive!
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Site Supporter
    And a very kind friend gave me a bottle of something very, very neat from the Spoetzl Brewery - the people that make Shiner beer. They did an experiment aging some beer in a set of used Bourbon barrels.

Name:  Shiner.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  31.0 KB

It. Is. Lovely. I got to try some at their distillery when it was first made, but have never even seen another bottle now. A very kind fellow gave me one today.

Merry Christmas, everybody! [/QUOTE]

I’ll be in Shiner the end of next week. I’ll drop
    By the brewery or Howard’s and see if they have it. If they do I’ll grab us a couple of bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List