Page 83 of 242 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Old Phart View Post
    I would have had to buy all that Weller. It's about impossible to get here. I haven't seen anything but the SR around here for nearly a year.
    I don’t know what kind of relationship they have with the distributor because I have gone into some of the bigger stores in Tulsa and everyone says it is a unicorn. These people have it on their shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    I don’t know what kind of relationship they have with the distributor because I have gone into some of the bigger stores in Tulsa and everyone says it is a unicorn. These people have it on their shelf.

I'm in central OK. I hear of someone finding it here or there in your area once in a while but I haven't made a trip up that way to try and find some.
    Last edited by O4L; 12-01-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Phart View Post
    I would have had to buy all that Weller. It's about impossible to get here. I haven't seen anything but the SR around here for nearly a year.
    Same here. I would have bought a few at that price.

Happy Repeal Day, folks!

Yes, on this day in 1933, Prohibition was repealed! So to celebrate this most holy of days here at Rancho Serious, I went to da store and plunked down the cash.

Tried this Woodford Reserve Master's Collection oat with Jackdog on Saturday:

Name:  IMG_20181201_114523.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  85.2 KB

Grabbed some long-awaited Garrison Brothers Balmorhea and some Weller:

Name:  IMG_20181205_175756.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  41.4 KB

And the Michter's Sour Mash is really good. Had some with a buddy staying at my place a week ago, and it was pronounced "Muy Delicioso!"

Name:  IMG_20181205_175716.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  77.9 KB

Picked up this one today. Gonna give it a try.

www.hero911.org

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I've been meaning to pick those up to experiment with. I use the hell out of Angostura Bitters, but that could add some new tastes to some of my drinks.

Speaking of experiments, the Master Distiller at BT appears to getting ready to release one 15 years in the making. One of my friends showed me this article . . . so it looks like there will soon be another bottling from the Sazerac company that I am gonna want to lay my hands on by won't be able snag unless I get really lucky or fork over a portion of my 3" K-Frame fund.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearPatrol
    Of the many variables involved in making good whiskey — time, climate, finishes, water, proofing all among them — Old Charter Oak is honing in on just one: the barrel. Every expression of the new Old Charter Oak (which has releases planned through 2030) will use the same mash bill as Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare, but they will be barreled and aged in different types of oak. According to Wheatley, Old Charter Oak was basically a science experiment he started close to 15 years ago.

“We take for granted how much we actually know about how to manipulate the whiskey,” Wheatley said. “How does coarser grain oak play with it versus a finer grain? What about the age of the tree? Does it matter where the tree is from? Frankly, we didn’t really know what would happen [when we started Old Charter Oak].”

Wheatley and the rest of the Buffalo Trace team theorized what experimenting with various woods for barreling would yield, and, according to him, some of those theories are starting to flesh themselves out. “They don’t taste similar at all and that’s the first thing we noticed,” he said. “It gives us a lot more belief going forward.”
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 12-07-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

The Evan Williams is a good buy for the money. Picked that bottle up for $14 today. It's not a Weller's Antique, but at 1/2 the price, it's definitely a good buy. Was not a fan of it neat, but with a couple of ice cubes, it opened up nicely. Will buy again.
    www.hero911.org

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Picked up this one today. Gonna give it a try.

your experience please!

I'm liking this one.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Bought this little guy, and I like it even more than Eagle Rare...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List