Page 33 of 242 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Sippin' Bourbon

Following this thread with interest. I have minimal exposure to Bourbon being as I’ve enjoyed Single Malts over the years.

Mrs. brought home a bottle of JD Honey, which I gather is not a Bourbon but a TN whiskey. Drinkable though.

I am interested in this thread to pick up a reasonably priced bottle ($30?) at stores we frequent (Costco / Publix).

I saw this web site where a guy was classifying Bourbon by Rye content.

Here were his groups:

“There’s the “traditional bourbon recipe,” which calls for about 70 percent corn and then roughly equal amounts of rye and barley. Knob Creek, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey and Evan Williams fall into this group.

Then there’s the spicy “high-rye recipe,” which includes a higher percentage of, you guessed it, rye. Basil Hayden’s, Four Roses and Buffalo Trace all follow this formula.

The last group is the “traditional wheat recipe,” which, according to Lubbers, has a “sweeter and softer” taste since it’s made from corn, barley and wheat. Maker’s Mark, Van Winkle and W.L. Weller are examples of this style.”

https://www.liquor.com/articles/cheat-sheet-bourbon/

Question: Do y’all Bourbon aficionados agree with this?

I like a sweeter taste, so might try the last variety he mentions.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-27-2017 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Following this thread with interest. I have minimal exposure to Bourbon being as I’ve enjoyed Single Malts over the years.

Mrs. brought home a bottle of JD Honey, which I gather is not a Bourbon but a TN whiskey. Drinkable though.

I am interested in this thread to pick up a reasonably priced bottle ($30?) at stores we frequent (Costco / Publix).

Here were his groups:

“There’s the “traditional bourbon recipe,” which calls for about 70 percent corn and then roughly equal amounts of rye and barley. Knob Creek, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey and Evan Williams fall into this group.

Then there’s the spicy “high-rye recipe,” which includes a higher percentage of, you guessed it, rye. Basil Hayden’s, Four Roses and Buffalo Trace all follow this formula.

The last group is the “traditional wheat recipe,” which, according to Lubbers, has a “sweeter and softer” taste since it’s made from corn, barley and wheat. Maker’s Mark, Van Winkle and W.L. Weller are examples of this style.”

I might have a different palate... out of What You listed I would go for four Rose's (Great entry bourbon And relatively inexpensive) or buffalo trace (Same people that Make van winkle). The others on your list don't rate very high on mine.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Perhaps this is just a tad over the OPs price requirement....

This one bottle costs more than my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry no bottle is worth 36 grand...

I have trouble justifying anything over 50 considering the options available. It all Just gets turned to pee in the end...

Site Supporter

Here were his groups:

If you want a mild, pleasant bourbon to try as your first foray may I suggest Basil Hayden's? It's going to cost more than $30 but is very smooth and easy to drink. Also note that rye brings along its own type of sweetness along with adding a little spice.

If you can manage to find some Blanton's just buy it. Yes it will be somewhat expensive. Buy it anyway. My favorite way to drink it is over a single large cube of ice, which cools the drink without diluting it much.

I actually found blantons to be disappointing, basil was ok.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I actually found blantons to be disappointing,
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Haha for the price... Yeah there are other things I'd drink [emoji16]

Here were his groups:

My vote is definitely Makers.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Just snagged Henry McKenna 10 year single barrel and Mitcher's small batch....heard good things about both. Anyone here had either?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I actually found blantons to be disappointing, basil was ok.

I can accept that there are folks who don't care for Blanton's -- taste is personal. However, I don't hesitate to recommend it since I believe most bourbon drinkers -- not all-- like it quite a lot.

User Tag List