Page 200 of 241 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210 ... LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Student
    @RancidSumo , excellent choices.

I mentioned it several pages back (I think) but Early Times bottled in bond is a damn good sipper (and Manhattan/Old Fashioned base) at around 25 bucks a liter. Its special order for ABC stores here, but one of my usual stops just got in a decent supply of it. If you can find it, its worth taking a chance IMHO. I actually like it better than Eagle Rare.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Took some suggestions (and got a spare bottle of Rare Breed just in case). Will try Longbranch next.

Attachment 69568
    Nice!

I'll have a pour of that Oban please.

Student

Turkey talk

Bruce Russell has said his father has a preference from warehouse G.

Bo Garrett, lead guitarist for Montgomery Gentry and Wild Turkey rep, posted a map not too long ago on his social media.

https://www.instagram.com/firebirdbo/

Site Supporter
    Installment #2 from the @Yung gift collection is a Weller CYPB sample.
    Website link: https://www.buffalotracedistillery.c...r-c-y-p-b.html

I don't recall the release details on this one, hopefully Yung will chime in with any important missing info.
    Worth reading the CYPB story at the link above for background.

At "only" 95 proof it's one of the lower proof tastings I've had recently. Some reviews I've read describe floral and citrus notes on the nose, but, I didn't get any of that. Could be that sampling on the back deck during "Yellow Haze Days" affected my sense of smell a bit. I did get butterscotch, spice and a bit of nuttiness on the nose. Upon tasting, it seemed like someone blended 2 different bourbons to make this. One was very creamy, lots of butterscotch and the other was more nutty and oaky. Maybe "layered" is a better description. It had an overall sweetness to it that was more butterscotch-sweet, not at all sugary. Nice amount of spiciness but not overwhelming. The spice was long on the finish as was the creaminess. No ice or water needed to open this one up. Wife liked it very much as well. The more modest proof Bourbons being more to her liking.

With an MSRP of $40/bottle, I'd buy it by the case, if I could find it in that quantity and price. Unlikely. Certainly worth twice that as an indulgence, but, the resale market is asking in the several hundreds of dollars, which is out of my price range. YMMV, of course. Overall, another excellent Weller offering.

Thanks again to my Benefactor, Yung!

Name:  CYPB.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  39.1 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Student
    Just found out I've been selected to join a tasting for a pick. I'd like some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Just found out I've been selected to join a tasting for a pick. I'd like some advice.
    Do it!

Student
    Oh, I'm definitely doing it, I'm just wondering if anyone who'd done this kind of thing before had any pointers as far as whether to have a warmup/control pour beforehand, whether to ignore everyone else's notes or to solicit discussion on what we're tasting, best palate cleansing/reset methods, foods/drinks to avoid the day of, etc.

It'll be taking place remotely.

Oh, I'm definitely doing it, I'm just wondering if anyone who'd done this kind of thing before had any pointers as far as whether to have a warmup/control pour beforehand, whether to ignore everyone else's notes or to solicit discussion on what we're tasting, best palate cleansing/reset methods, foods/drinks to avoid the day of, etc.

In wine tastings, I have found that the white of white bread (baguette preferably) is very good at removing the previous tastes.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

When I was going through a Master's Distiller's program at a distillery years ago, we used small unsalted oyster crackers and hot black coffee to clean our palates and noses.

Smell is an important element of taste, and you need to make sure both are in a neutral state.

Hope that helps.

User Tag List