Page 2 of 241 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

I think the normal Maker's is over-hyped and succeeds from solid branding. If it was a few bucks cheaper, I'd be more welcoming.

I will, however, add their "46" to the list.
    Also, Four Roses.

I am so not a drinker in any way. The hard liquor I've tried, I didn't like. This one, I liked. Very good in camp coffee up in the mountains.

Last edited by Malamute; 05-02-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Living on the Bourbon Trail for six months out of the year has it's advantages............

I'm a fan of Woodford Reserve, but prefer MM46 over most. (In that price range).

There is stuff out there that I prefer over anything listed, but not in the range listed. PVW is evil in a bottle. Buying it in person, by the case is the only way to go.

Way too many rules in this thread.

While I do like corner creek and bulleit rye, I prefer Blanton's, Booker's and Jefferson Reserve. And I don't ruin my whiskey with ice.

Perhaps the thread title should note "Sipping cheap whiskeys on the rocks".

Site Supporter
    I'll second the votes for Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace, and Buellit.

For a super inexpensive good sipping bourbon, my Daddy taught me Henry McKenna can't be beat.

Bulliet Bourbon and Templeton Rye are my top two American whiskeys. Templeton's a bit pricy, though. About $42 a fifth.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

I switch between Maker's Mark and Jameson. I know that I don't know what I don't know about this stuff, but I've progressed from rums and Seagrams and blended whiskeys.

I saw Noah's Mill mentioned. I tried some recently and it was pretty good. No idea what the price point is.

I do love Blantons but it's out of the price range specified in the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    PVW is evil in a bottle. Buying it in person, by the case is the only way to go.
    I visited Buffalo Trace a few years ago this weekend, on my way to the Derby. Never had tried BT before and now it's our house bourbon. Excellent. BT makes PVW and Blantons (and a few others) under contract, plus their own top shelf label, Eagle Rare. Eagle is both outstanding and economical. A sleeper.

I've had the PVW 15 and 20 and they were good, but didn't fulfill the hype. I've had a bottle of the 23yo staring at me on my file cabinet, unopened, in the velvet bag, for about 4 years. I bought the flight of Pappy's for myself to celebrate a great year (business), and opened them in order, based on reaching some additional goals. I've hit 2, but not the third. I hope I'm not disappointed that I waited for it once I get the chance to open it. I've debated selling it, since it's apparently worth 5x (or more) what I paid for it.... Probably won't do that, but the thought of trading it for a high end 1911 is not without some temptation.

Bookers is the "Evil" for me. Very. Strange. Dreams. when I drink Bookers.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Blanton's is my preferred bourbon but Balcones is my go to distillery now. A bit pricey at 50-75 a bottle.

User Tag List