Page 179 of 241 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2407

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I know it's been mentioned in this thread somewhere, but I was gifted a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel (86.6 proof) and broke the seal right around 15:00 on Christmas day...unbelievably smooth! We had neighbors over for dinner on 12/26, neither the husband nor the wife are experienced drinkers, but they were game to try some and after a couple of sips, they took a picture of the bottle to make sure they picked up the right one next time they were out.

Highly recommended.

Name:  Xmas Bourbon.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  84.5 KB

Just back from the ABC store in town...to pick up a few bottles.

Jameson's, Frangelico, and B&B for the missus...

Laphroaig Quarter Cask...and...(on topic)...Bernheim Wheated Whiskey for me. (Couldn't find a bourbon I really wanted or needed, and wanted to try something a little different.)

I like it. It's sweeter than my usual fare, but is like something between an Irish Whisky and Bourbon with the added sweetness the wheat brings. Nice change of pace.

Single malt prices have gone up since I last bought a bottle or two. I think the Laphroaig was about $15 higher than when I last purchased.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    @blues Bernheim is good stuff. Have you tried Larceny yet?
    I find it similar.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    @blues Bernheim is good stuff. Have you tried Larceny yet?
    I find it similar.
    @RoyGBiv

I have not tried Larceny, but I saw it on the shelf yesterday while perusing. The $24 price tag on the Bernheim made it an easy choice for something new to try. (I don't remember what the Larceny was going for. I saw Russell and Bulleit bourbons too, but couldn't remember offhand which was worthwhile.)

I almost grabbed a bottle of the white label Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond but wasn't certain if that was the one guys here liked since there was a small batch as well. (I have never been an EW fan in years past, but it's been a long time. I like all the other Heaven Hill offerings I have on hand...Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna B-I-B and J.T.S. Brown)

But I have enough bourbon to hold me for a while and figured to try something I hadn't had previously.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @RoyGBiv

I have not tried Larceny, but I saw it on the shelf yesterday while perusing. The $24 price tag on the Bernheim made it an easy choice for something new to try. (I don't remember what the Larceny was going for. I saw Russell and Bulleit bourbons too, but couldn't remember offhand which was worthwhile.)

I almost grabbed a bottle of the white label Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond but wasn't certain if that was the one guys here liked since there was a small batch as well. (I have never been an EW fan in years past, but it's been a long time. I like all the other Heaven Hill offerings I have on hand...Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna B-I-B and J.T.S. Brown)

But I have enough bourbon to hold me for a while and figured to try something I hadn't had previously.
    In my opinion/experience, the Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond (white label) is fantastic - it's a bargain-sleeper.

Very Old Barton (100 proof) is another fantastic bottle and also a bargain-sleeper.
    FYI - the VOB/100 used to be a BIB - that label disappeared in the not too distant past.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    In my opinion/experience, the Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond (white label) is fantastic - it's a bargain-sleeper.

Very Old Barton (100 proof) is another fantastic bottle and also a bargain-sleeper.
    FYI - the VOB/100 used to be a BIB - that label disappeared in the not too distant past.
    Thanks, @tango-papa. I'll bear that in mind when my bourbon supply starts looking like it can use some replenishing.

Thanks, @tango-papa. I'll bear that in mind when my bourbon supply starts looking like it can use some replenishing.
    Evan Williams BIB is my go-to sub-$20 whiskey and has been for years....but if Jim Beam "repeal batch" stays as a regular product, it may have to share the throne....both are delicious at $16! My wife and stepdaughter adore it. EW BIB will always be my choice for cocktails.

My wife and I are on our second bottle of single-barrel Larceny this month. Excellent stuff. First time I have drank neat liquor through a meal was with this a few weeks back.

My wife got me a bottle of IW Harper for Christmas. Very sweet, no rough edges, but kinda boring, if easy to drink. I sprinkled in some EW BIB into my pour to liven it up, and it worked well. I will save it for summer, and for guests who aren't into "serious" sippers.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Just back from the ABC store in town...to pick up a few bottles.

Jameson's, Frangelico, and B&B for the missus...

Laphroaig Quarter Cask...and...(on topic)...Bernheim Wheated Whiskey for me. (Couldn't find a bourbon I really wanted or needed, and wanted to try something a little different.)

I like it. It's sweeter than my usual fare, but is like something between an Irish Whisky and Bourbon with the added sweetness the wheat brings. Nice change of pace.

Single malt prices have gone up since I last bought a bottle or two. I think the Laphroaig was about $15 higher than when I last purchased.
    Has your wife tried Irish Mist? If she digs Jameson and sweet liquor, it might be her thing. Mrs. Anders needs a bottle in the cabinet at all times.

I would like to try more Irish, but my wife's best friend is from a family with heavy Irish independence connections(great granpa is in the history books, etc.) and Protestant whisky causes friction.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post

Too bad everyone has realized BIB generally means "underpriced." 😔

I really hope EW BIB remains at its low, low price point and doesn't dissappear so it can be reborn as a slightly older and more expensive product like its sibling, the Heaven Hill 6 year BIB. Hopefully, the sheer amount of this stuff sold will inhibit that. It seems to take up as much space on the shelf as the standard EW in every NC liquor store I have been in.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List