Views: 413
Size:  46.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Giddy up!

Name:  EF265091-CA0D-4F4F-B174-57A75DE1E5D9.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  46.4 KB
    Nice! Post your impressions of the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Nice! Post your impressions of the bottle.
    Hot! Burned everything from my lips to my stomach! Lol.

It was warm neat. I threw in a cube and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It was still warm but I could taste the molasses and caramel. I didn’t nose it but the finish was warm...very warm and stayed for a bit.

Overall it’s very good bourbon and worth the ~$45 I paid for it.

Site Supporter
    Anyone seen @SeriousStudent recently? Hope he's ok... Last login was early September.

Gonna try this one tonight. I've been hesitant to invest in the bottle without a taste, but could not find anywhere, not like I'm going out much these days.

122 proof Texas Rum, made by a distiller known for their high-corn Whiskeys.

Name:  Rum.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  48.1 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

You have to say my name three times while looking in the mirror. Only then will I appear.

It's good stuff. Not as good as Foursquare, but that is the best rum in the world, in my very humble opinion.

I still have those two bottles from Puerto Rico I am holding for you - worry not.

Student

Christmas shopping list

@LHS

Since a couple classes I planned to take this year were canceled, I have decided to use the refunds to buy some more spirits than the Maker's and the White Dog #1 I tried earlier.

In my effort to resist my uninitiated and low-information lust to splurge on a far-overpriced bottle or two of Blanton's Gold and SotB, I have produced a tentative list of several different bourbons that are less inflated on the secondary market, to begin developing a better sense of nose and taste. I am soliciting everyone's commentary.

Here is what is in my cart. I am open to the idea of removing some choices to add something else, or cutting a lot of choices out for just a couple or a few.

Let me know if I'm doing everything all wrong.

John J. Bowman Single Barrel
    Bowman Brothers Small Batch
    Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C920
    Eagle Rare
    Buffalo Trace
    Baker's 7 Year Old Single Barrel
    Old Forester 1910
    Woodford Reserve Double Oak
    Russell's Reserve 10 Year
    Michter's Small Batch
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Hancock's President's Reserve
    Four Roses Single Barrel

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    @LHS

Since a couple classes I planned to take this year were canceled, I have decided to use the refunds to buy some more spirits than the Maker's and the White Dog #1 I tried earlier.

In my effort to resist my uninitiated and low-information lust to splurge on a far-overpriced bottle or two of Blanton's Gold and SotB, I have produced a tentative list of several different bourbons that are less inflated on the secondary market, to begin developing a better sense of nose and taste. I am soliciting everyone's commentary.

Here is what is in my cart. I am open to the idea of removing some choices to add something else, or cutting a lot of choices out for just a couple or a few.

John J. Bowman Single Barrel
    Bowman Brothers Small Batch
    Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C920
    Eagle Rare
    Buffalo Trace
    Baker's 7 Year Old Single Barrel
    Old Forester 1910
    Woodford Reserve Double Oak
    Russell's Reserve 10 Year
    Michter's Small Batch
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Hancock's President's Reserve
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    I know, you weren't asking me... so.. FWIW...

1. I'm picking up a Bowman's small batch in a few hours, curbside at TotalWine. Will let you know tomorrow.

2. From the rest of your list.... I would LOVE to get some EC Barrel Proof.... That would be my pick if available.

3. I'm blah on Buffalo Trace these days, but, it's been a favorite in the past. I've moved to higher proof stuff. Worth trying. eagle Rare is still on my list when I can find it.

4. Of the rest.... Four Roses single, 1910 thumbs up from me. Not a fan of Mitchers, although it's certainly not swill. Just not to my liking. Used to be a BIG fan of the Baker's. Ever since they rebranded it last year I've found it not as good, certainly not for what they charge for it. YMMV.

5. Stuff you should consider .... 1792, 1792 Full Proof (if you can find it) and Larceny. Priced right, great flavors. Also, Early Time Bottled in Bond. Downright inexpensive and among my favorites these days.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Student
    I absolutely was asking you, as you have frequented this thread in the past.

I've dropped the Baker's and will add 1792 Full. My understanding from reading reviews is that folks who like Jim Beam products say that the new stuff is pretty hit or miss for the price unless you find one with a neck label of 10 despite the big 7 on the main label.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    @LHS

I haven't tried all of these, but I'll let you know what I have tried:

John J. Bowman Single Barrel - Never tried it
    Bowman Brothers Small Batch - Never tried it
    Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C920 - Never tried it, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the Elijah Craig offerings I have tried.
    Eagle Rare - Good, but nothing groundbreaking.
    Buffalo Trace - Good, but nothing groundbreaking
    Baker's 7 Year Old Single Barrel - Didn't care for it, but it's been a while and I forget just what I didn't like.
    Old Forester 1910 - Haven't tried this expression, but I have liked Old Foresters of other types
    Woodford Reserve Double Oak - Not a fan at all of Woodford, it tends to be a bit too heavy on the rye for my palate. If you like more rye-centric bourbons, you might dig it.
    Russell's Reserve 10 Year - Never tried it
    Michter's Small Batch - Only had a single glass a few months back, but it was quite tasty, and does what I want a bourbon to do: relatively high proof, spirit-forward, with an undertone of corn sweetness. Rich, deep flavor. Pricey, though, and I'm not sure it's quite worth the premium.
    Evan Williams Single Barrel - Tasty!
    Hancock's President's Reserve - Never tried it
    Four Roses Single Barrel - Despite being more rye in the mash bill than I usually like, I enjoy this one. It's well balanced.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Russell's Reserve 10 Year - Never tried it
    Missed this one.... Two thumbs up from me. I am not a huge fan of Russel's. Never bad, just that I prefer others at the same price points. The 10-year, however, is very good, IMO. Much better than even the barrel select I've tried (just once).

And if I had to choose between Evan Williams Single and Evan Williams Bottled in Bond, I'd pick the BiB at half the price. Both are good though.

Lots of good bourbons coming out of Heaven Hill these days.

User Tag List