Page 164 of 241 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Unravelling the Secrets of Tennessee Whiskey

"More than a century has passed since the last scientific analyses of the famed “Lincoln County [Tennessee] process” was published, but the secrets of the famous Tennessee whiskey flavor are starting to unravel at the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture. The latest research promises advancements in the field of flavor science as well as marketing."

"The study incorporated a combination of advanced flavor chemistry techniques to probe the changes in flavor chemistry occurring during charcoal filtration. This type of filtration is a common step in the production of distilled beverages, including vodka and rum, but it’s a required step for a product to be labeled “Tennessee whiskey.” The step is called the Lincoln County Process (LCP), after the locale of the original Jack Daniel’s distillery. It is also referred to as “charcoal mellowing.”

The LCP step is performed by passing the fresh whiskey distillate through a bed of charcoal, usually derived from burnt sugar maple, prior to barrel-aging the product. Although no scientific studies have proved such a claim, it is believed that the LCP imparts a “smoother” flavor to Tennessee whiskey. In addition, by law for the distinction of having “Tennessee whiskey” on the label, the liquor must be produced in the state of Tennessee from at least 51% corn after having been aged in Tennessee for at least 2 years in unused charred oak barrels."
    Yes. It is filtered before it is barreled and aged and some others are filtered after they are aged before bottling.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I’m glad someone got lucky! I’ve struck out all day.
    So..... was that you I crossed paths with at Apex just after 11 today? Olive jacket, neck gaitor. Thinking back, that guy was pretty young looking to be retired, but, had a similar build to the guy in your avatar. I asked that guy what he was looking for and he demurred. If that was you.... Nice to almost meet you!

After the big spend at Sanford I gave up for the day and got back to what I came here for. I had checked in with Apex after a trip to Home Depot and they had Amador Bourbon they were very excited about. And something else that was expensive and looked very trendy. Passed on both. Anyone have any comments on Amador? And what's with Kentucky Owl? Any good? For >$100 at a State store (so, retail, no gouging) it better be good. I'm seeing it at home a lot too. Too spendy for me. Not when I can get 2 x 1792 Full Proof for less. No Blanton's to be found so far. Honestly, Blanton's is good, but, lots of better for less out there.

Let's talk about this JTS Brown. It's damn good! Reminds me of the Early Times BiB, but with a bigger alcohol bite. The JTS definitely benefits from a cube or two. But for $12-something for a 750mL, I'll be adding this to the bar at home when I can find it. Heaven Hill has got a lot going on these days. Extra points for the glass bottle with the plastic screw cap! LOL.

Name:  JTS.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  54.1 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Not for nothin'...but you fuckers are just being mean now. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    So..... was that you I crossed paths with at Apex just after 11 today? Olive jacket, neck gaitor. Thinking back, that guy was pretty young looking to be retired, but, had a similar build to the guy in your avatar. I asked that guy what he was looking for and he demurred. If that was you.... Nice to almost meet you!

After the big spend at Sanford I gave up for the day and got back to what I came here for. I had checked in with Apex after a trip to Home Depot and they had Amador Bourbon they were very excited about. And something else that was expensive and looked very trendy. Passed on both. Anyone have any comments on Amador? And what's with Kentucky Owl? Any good? For >$100 at a State store (so, retail, no gouging) it better be good. I'm seeing it at home a lot too. Too spendy for me. Not when I can get 2 x 1792 Full Proof for less. No Blanton's to be found so far. Honestly, Blanton's is good, but, lots of better for less out there.

Let's talk about this JTS Brown. It's damn good! Reminds me of the Early Times BiB, but with a bigger alcohol bite. The JTS definitely benefits from a cube or two. But for $12-something for a 750mL, I'll be adding this to the bar at home when I can find it. Heaven Hill has got a lot going on these days. Extra points for the glass bottle with the plastic screw cap! LOL.

Name:  JTS.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  54.1 KB
    Sadly that wasn’t me. I’ve been in Eastern Wake and Johnston all day looking...they had Buffalo Trace but I didn’t get any. I was in Cary/Apex last week wasting my time looking for some more Stagg, Jr. My usual out-and-about clothes are a hat with the outline of the State on it, Columbia polo or PFG shirt, khaki shorts, and Merrill’s.

I’ve got Kentucky Owl Confiscated. The first pour had a lot of bite. Let it sit for a month and it’s good...but the $130 price tag isn’t worth it when you can get just as good or better bourbon for 1/2 the price. My wife gave it to me for a retirement present...otherwise I’d never of bought it just off price.

If you’re gonna be in Wake tomorrow they’re allegedly putting out Blantons. If you’re on Facebook join the Raleigh Bourbon and Banter page and the NC Whiskey Hunters page. When good stuff hits someone will post it. You better move quick though because it gets gone quickly. I got a bottle of Blantons in Wake county in July...first bottle out of the case...sold out in less than 30 minutes.

JTS Brown is legitimately top shelf bourbon for a bottom shelf price. Get it now because as people start finding out about it you won’t be able to find it and it’ll be high as hell when you do.

ETA: and you’re right about Blantons...it’s good but, IMHO, JTS Brown is better. After I get all the Blantons letters I likely will pass on it when I do happen to see it.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 09-17-2020 at 06:04 PM.

I'm drowning my sorrow with a healthy pour of Henry McKenna B.I.B.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Haven’t cracked McKenna open yet...I’m trying to kill this pint sized pony at the moment.

Name:  98AD0171-C966-41DB-9BE5-A2D3139FB64E.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  77.7 KB

Ride a painted pony let the spinnin' wheel fly

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And me in a Buffalo Trace.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    And me in a Buffalo Trace.
    My number 3.

It’s a sure thing here that when Buffalo Trace hits the local store it’ll be gone in a day or two. Then another two month wait...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    My number 3.

It’s a sure thing here that when Buffalo Trace hits the local store it’ll be gone in a day or two. Then another two month wait...
    Sanford had one fifth on the shelf today.
    With all the BiB I've gravitated to recently, BT has been like Lite Beer to me lately.
    Eagle Rare is still in my wheelhouse though.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List