Page 149 of 241 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 2407

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    The bottle I bought a month ago was at list price, $34.95.
    I try to only do business with sellers who don't bilk me on allocated spirits.

Walked in to a store in Arizona last week. On the shelf was a handle of Weller 12 for $190, a 750mL of Antique for $120, Elmer T for $115 and 4 different EH Taylor's starting at an almost reasonable $60. The Elijah Craig small batch from the Total Wine down the road was perfectly fine.
    I searched the database and McKenna 10yr BiB is $49.96 minimum price here. I assume I misremember the store's price, because everything else he had was at state minimum.

Crazy that your guys' every day price is 30% cheaper than my best case scenario price.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    I searched the database and McKenna 10yr BiB is $49.96 minimum price here. I assume I misremember the store's price, because everything else he had was at state minimum.

Crazy that your guys' every day price is 30% cheaper than my best case scenario price.
    And interestingly enough, our prices are not generally considered low. The professional drinkers around here drive down to SC to fill up at better prices.
    (I can't be arsed to put that much effort into it.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by csheehy View Post
    Is this when drinking ANY bourbon?

Back around 1990 when Gentleman Jack came on the market I tried it a couple of times and it gave me a serious headache within the hour after having a couple of ounces neat. I've never tried it again. Figured there was some chemical or something that was created in whatever different process they use to produce the Gentleman Jack vs regular JD (which I've been drinking since I was 18).
    I'm not sure. I first noticed it not long after discovering Buffalo Trace. It gave me terrible neck aches so I stopped buying it. I don't remember it ever happening with McKenna BIB or Woodford Reserve. Definitely a problem with Russel Reserve. I don't remember if it's an issue with Elijah Craig.

That's definitely something to explore.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I'm not sure. I first noticed it not long after discovering Buffalo Trace. It gave me terrible neck aches so I stopped buying it. I don't remember it ever happening with McKenna BIB or Woodford Reserve. Definitely a problem with Russel Reserve. I don't remember if it's an issue with Elijah Craig.

That's definitely something to explore.
    It sounds to me like you've got a lot of drinking ahead of you to get to the bottom of this.

If the Elijah Craig doesn't create the issue, maybe you should stay with the Heaven Hill offerings.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It sounds to me like you've got a lot of drinking ahead of you to get to the bottom of this.

If the Elijah Craig doesn't create the issue, maybe you should stay with the Heaven Hill offerings.
    HH has plenty to offer. He won't get bored any time soon.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Challenge accepted.

In all honesty it’s taken a lot of the fun out of trying different bourbons. I don’t have many vices. Bourbon is something I really enjoy exploring. Maybe I’ll take up needle point or something.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Challenge accepted.

In all honesty it’s taken a lot of the fun out of trying different bourbons. I don’t have many vices. Bourbon is something I really enjoy exploring. Maybe I’ll take up needle point or something.
    It could be worse...

Site Supporter
    Almost forgot to post about the Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength that Bourbon Buddy brought by on Saturday.
    After 4+ weeks of zero visitors, we enjoyed a few hours on the back porch at an appropriate distance. WifeGBiv stuck with the Sauvignon.

117 proof comes in a bit hot, but, I like a bit of ice, so, one cube was just right. Definitely a bit oaky, not quite Knob Creek oaky though. Medium amount of vanilla and a bit of sugar. Enjoyed it greatly. Looking it the cabinet, the only Bourbon under 100 proof is a handle of Buffalo Trace. I've definitely been moving up the proof scale lately.

If you can find it at a fair price (BB picked it up a Spec's for $42), don't pass it up.

Not my photo...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I received an early retirement gift today from a locally retired LEO. This is fairly hard to get in my area.

Name:  9F713F1B-E207-44D7-83C1-A5C934FBBF38.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  20.5 KB

A Woodford Reserve toast to all tonight, TGIF.

User Tag List