Page 120 of 241 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I'm spending a day in bourbon country on the way home from Tac Con and having trouble narrowing things down. Any suggestions?

I'm more of an Irish whiskey guy than a bourbon guy. Not all that fond of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. I like Bulleit and Woodford Reserve so they're on the list.

I'm more interested in smaller distillers and/or particularly cool tours. Thanks.
    Jack and Jim wouldn’t know bourbon if it bit ‘em in the ass!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I'm spending a day in bourbon country on the way home from Tac Con and having trouble narrowing things down. Any suggestions?

I'm more of an Irish whiskey guy than a bourbon guy. Not all that fond of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. I like Bulleit and Woodford Reserve so they're on the list.

I'm more interested in smaller distillers and/or particularly cool tours. Thanks.
    Willett has locations in Bardstown and Pembroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    We have full proof and single barrel, the single barrel has a banana taste to it. Kind of off putting if you ask me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Definitely not a banana guy. The barrel I got mine from has strong stone fruit notes and vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Willett has locations in Bardstown and Pembroke.

I like the Willett.
    My daughter gave me a bottle for my 55th
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I like the Willett.
    My daughter gave me a bottle for my 55th
    Everything they make is pretty good. Much of it is exceptional.

I’ve been sipping on a small bottle of Elijah Craig small batch. I like it a lot.

I’ve decided I need a good cask strength for when I want to punish myself. Any recommendations? I’m pretty open to taste, I’ve been doing more Ryes lately but enjoy a good bourbon as well.

My wife and I did several distillery tours a year ago when I was in KY for the RockCastle Run N Gun. We liked the Buffalo Trace tour and tasting at their distillery in Frankfort, KY. Good overall tour that covers the history of bourbon, the distillery process, and the history of the facility. It was neat to see Pappy Van Winkle aging on the racks. Also got to see the building where they age Blantons.

We hit Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, 4 Roses, Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, Heaven Hill, Bulleit (old Stitzer-Wellar distillery), Evan Williams, and Jim Beam. I thought the Buffalo Trace tour and tasting was the best.

If you plan it right, you can hit a few that are close to each other. Wild Turkey is about 15 minutes from Woodford Reserve for example.

Bourbon country also has some great whiskey bars. Asking around at the distilleries for recomendations will get you some good suggestions. The Talbot Tavern in Bardstown is a good example. It has decent food and a huge selection of different whiskies. The whiskey bars are a good place to get some harder to find products.

Castle and Key distillery is a phenomenal tour. It's the original E.H. Taylor distillery that was purchased and turned into an awesome distillery. They're new so they don't have bourbon to sample, however it's right down the road from Woodford if you're so inclined. As far as tours go, we really enjoyed our time at Buffalo Trace. They're free and ours was slated for 45 minutes, ended up being an hour and a half. It was a great time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 03-02-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I’ve decided I need a good cask strength for when I want to punish myself. Any recommendations? I’m pretty open to taste, I’ve been doing more Ryes lately but enjoy a good bourbon as well.
    My Maker's Mark Cask isn't punishment, so if you're looking for something harsh, I can't recommend it.

For the nights when "I'm only going to have 1 drink" I highly recommend it.

I like rye too much to think of any of them as punishment.

If you want to feel bad about drinking, Crown Royal Bourbon mash is pretty awful.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

User Tag List