Page 11 of 241 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Bulliet IS good rye, but unlike their bourbon they don't actually make it. Like a lot of smaller outfits they subcontracted production to an industrial distillery in Indiana, IIRC.

None of that really bothers me - it is pretty good - except that Bulliet is trying to sell me on the idea that it's old fashioned and artisanal.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Hmmmm... Didn't know this...
    If Pappy's can use Buffalo Trace for their distilling and still get $250+/bottle, I'm not losing sleep over Bulleit's marketing. Tastes good... Consistent... Sold. LOL

Another better-than-average bourbon that's made in a roundabout way is Texas Star. It's labeled as having Fort Worth origins but I understand that it's really a blend of bourbons sourced from KY and blended in FTW. Still a decent finished product, but at the same price point at the Bulleit Rye, I'll go with the rye.

Cheers.

I saw this a while back, was interesting. Many brand name bourbons and whiskies are made by large commercial distillers.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the...n-whiskey.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I saw this a while back, was interesting. Many brand name bourbons and whiskies are made by large commercial distillers.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the...n-whiskey.html
    Excellent reference.! Thanks!

Now I'm thirsty
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Now I'm thirsty

Me too,...only I haven't had any bourbon in 6 months or more. Been reluctant to drink any with the pain meds.

ETA: I guess I've had a half shot in my coffee a couple times, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Me too,...only I haven't had any bourbon in 6 months or more. Been reluctant to drink any with the pain meds.

ETA: I guess I've had a half shot in my coffee a couple times, but that's it.
    Oh man, whisky and pain meds are the bomb!

I just picked up some Bastille French whisky recently. Pretty good stuff. It tastes nothing a scotch or a bourbon; it is very sweet and smooth. Good neat; I wouldn't want to mix it with anything - just too unpredictable.

It's very polarizing, people seem to lbut if you can accept it for what it is - i.e., not scotch or bourbon - it's good. I think it would be a good non-whisky drinker's whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Oh man, whisky and pain meds are the bomb!
    I guess some like that sort of thing. Pain meds are a hard thing for me. I hate taking anything, and in particular, I don't like how the pain meds make me feel. I don't usually take enough to do more than take the edge off the pain so I can sleep or function through the day, and hate feeling slowed down or spacey, which is how I feel when I take enough to really do much to the pain. I think booze is also hard on the liver and kidneys to mix with pain meds.

What little I drink, I don't get more than relaxed. A bottle lasts me about 6 months when I'm hittin it hard.

I just had my 1st bourbon last weekend after taking few most off. I ended up with Templeton Rye, bc it was like 15$ off & I had never tried it. BOY was I surprised! Was so smooth that I had to check the label to make sure I didn't get some new age BS "whiskey" with the low % etc .

I just picked up some Bastille French whisky recently. Pretty good stuff. It tastes nothing a scotch or a bourbon; it is very sweet and smooth. Good neat; I wouldn't want to mix it with anything - just too unpredictable.

It's very polarizing, people seem to lbut if you can accept it for what it is - i.e., not scotch or bourbon - it's good. I think it would be a good non-whisky drinker's whisky.
    I had my second glass of this last night and am sick of it already.

Site Supporter
    I had my second glass of this last night and am sick of it already.
    I felt similarly the first time I tried Japanese Whisky.
    First time was pretty good.... Must have been the allure more than the reality.
    Second time (same Whisky, same bottle)... No bueno.
    I forget the brand... something high-brow though.
    Nothing beats American Bourbon.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Bourbon question:

Last couple bottles of BT I purchased I definitely started to notice a mustiness after some time. I didn't think a bourbon could get skunky or anything like that but is it possible? If so, what can be done to prevent this?

Digging BT, ER, and Bulleit these days. Has anyone from VA had Kopper Kettle? Heard good things was thinking of gifting to my brother…

User Tag List