Page 106 of 242 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 2411

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

hello bourbon thread,

I have drank a shitton of bad bourbon in my life. I was in college for 10 years and, in that time, I drank a bunch of Old Crow, Old Granddad, and Evan Williams. When I was feeling fancy I would drink Wild Turkey.

I'd like to reform and drink something better. I work with a bunch of fancy boys who know bourbons really well, and I'd like to learn more. In the past, someone turned me on to Booker's and I've bought a total of 2 bottles in my life because it's too "fancy" for me to feel good about drinking a lot. I like it with a splash of water. I've drank a bunch of random ryes and I like them too.

Soooooo what should I try, bourbon thread?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Are they selling bourbon or cocaine? Either way I would be out too.
    Lol, good question....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    hello bourbon thread,

I have drank a shitton of bad bourbon in my life. I was in college for 10 years and, in that time, I drank a bunch of Old Crow, Old Granddad, and Evan Williams. When I was feeling fancy I would drink Wild Turkey.

I'd like to reform and drink something better. I work with a bunch of fancy boys who know bourbons really well, and I'd like to learn more. In the past, someone turned me on to Booker's and I've bought a total of 2 bottles in my life because it's too "fancy" for me to feel good about drinking a lot. I like it with a splash of water. I've drank a bunch of random ryes and I like them too.

Personally, I’d suggest the Weller’s Special Reserve. Then follow it up with the Weller’s Antique 107. Two of my favorites at a moderate price and not too fancy by any means.

www.hero911.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Are they selling bourbon or cocaine? Either way I would be out too.
    A 1oz pour of 10yr, I’d agree. A 2.5oz pour of 23, and its a bargain. It’s definitely something that isn’t for everyone (I personally think all Pappy is overrated), but, something those well versed in whiskeys would be well served to try.

PS
    George T Stagg Is WAAAAYYYYYY better than Pappy

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Personally, I’d suggest the Weller’s Special Reserve. Then follow it up with the Weller’s Antique 107. Two of my favorites at a moderate price and not too fancy by any means.

I'll add those to my list.

I may have sold myself short; I just finished off a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh I got as a gift. However, I don't really have any idea of what makes a whiskey (or whisky) good, and I don't really know what brands are good. I know some brands that are expensive, but I don't have a sense for which ones are overpriced and which ones are a good value.

hello bourbon thread,

While not a bourbon, Willett 4yr Rye is probably the most impressive whiskey I can remember. And, like $55 a bottle

They had both Stagg and Stagg Jr on the menu too. I don't recall the price of the Stagg, but the Jr was around $15 a pour. I have had Pappy 23 once when I was in Louisville Ky. I believe it was about $45 a pour at that time. It was good, but not my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    A 1oz pour of 10yr, I’d agree. A 2.5oz pour of 23, and its a bargain. It’s definitely something that isn’t for everyone (I personally think all Pappy is overrated), but, something those well versed in whiskeys would be well served to try.

PS
    George T Stagg Is WAAAAYYYYYY better than Pappy

www.hero911.org

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Tried the Henry McKenna 10 year tonight. Pretty good. The restaurant (Rye Kansas City) I went to also had Pappy Van Winkle (of which I did not drink) for $125 a pour.
    About 3 years ago I was on a job in Miami, South Beach specifically. I finished shooting this interview in a trendy cocktail bar and was chatting up the proprietor when I noticed he had a bottle of Pappy tucked away. I asked him how much he was charging for it, "$200 a pour". I thought, "Of course you are, it is South Beach after all". We spoke for a moment about Pappy and how it's hard to find, etc. and I mentioned that I'd never had it before. The man didn't hesitate, he spun on his heels, grabbed the bottle and poured me a nice one right then and there. That was pretty awesome.

And the Pappy was pretty stinking good. Not the mind-blowing-best, but it was good IMO. Especially when it was free!
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Pappy is good but not enoigh that I would spend a nice bottle or two worth of cash on a pour...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

hello bourbon thread,

If you like Evan Williams, (4 year bottled in bond is my standard house "bottom shelf") you'll probably love the Four Roses range. It's the quality range for the price consious. Try the Small Batch. The cheapest of the range, "Yellow Label," (not called such on the bottle) is a good sipper, too, it's just a little too subdued for an Old Fashioned or other mixed drinks. Woodford Reserve is also nice.

I like the Whiskey Jug website for finding new whiskeys: http://thewhiskeyjug.com/bourbon-whi...-batch-review/
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List