Page 103 of 242 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2411

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Site Supporter
    Finally was able to find some Buffalo Trace locally today after it being gone from shelves for several weeks. Just in time, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Finally was able to find some Buffalo Trace locally today after it being gone from shelves for several weeks. Just in time, too!
    Curious as to what you think of it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post

Larry, as a public service you need to consolidate your bourbon posts into categories...

Best bourbons

Best bourbons for the money

Best wheated bourbons

etc.

(For the children...)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post

I know your question is aimed at Mark but in line with it...the other day when I was in the ABC store and in chatting with the manager and mentioning that I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about it, he remarked, (in regard specifically to Buffalo Trace bourbon), that a few years ago they could hardly give the stuff away.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I know your question is aimed at Mark but in line with it...the other day when I was in the ABC store and in chatting with the manager and mentioning that I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about it, he remarked, (in regard specifically to Buffalo Trace bourbon), that a few years ago they could hardly give the stuff away.
    I believe it. I first found it in the clearance section at one of the local stores. 1.5L for $45.

My preferred candy store proprietor calls it hipster bourbon as it is all of a sudden in style. Makes me not want to shop there since it's probably my favorite flavor. But he's the only guy who ever seems to have it. And he's pretty cool other than that. Except he seems to really like Bushmill and is always trying to push that swill on me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    I believe it. I first found it in the clearance section at one of the local stores. 1.5L for $45.

My preferred candy store proprietor calls it hipster bourbon as it is all of a sudden in style. Makes me not want to shop there since it's probably my favorite flavor. But he's the only guy who ever seems to have it. And he's pretty cool other than that. Except he seems to really like Bushmill and is always trying to push that swill on me.

I wish I could figure out exactly what it is that puts me off. It's not that I can't drink it, just that I'm less than enthusiastic. To me the Elijah Craig, (NAS or 12 year old), has a better flavor profile. I don't know if any of that is a factor of proof or not but I don't think so.
    Guess there's no accounting for taste...at least after one has developed some and has at least a rudimentary acquaintance with the whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post

Lol! Unfortunately BT and many others are favorites of the hipsters that have caused some bourbons to become scarce and prices to climb.

The recent popularity of whiskey among hipsters is welcome among those in the business I'm sure, but it sometimes makes it difficult for a guy to find his usual whiskey and to get it at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I can see that, I also know how highly subjective and personal these tastes/releases/bottles can be. My wife turned me on to bourbon about 5 years ago, I'm not nearly as in tune with this hobby as some people. I don't really track the small,one off, craft distilleries like some do. Take my info with a grain of salt:

Prime example: My wife and I REALLY enjoy the 1792 small batch. We in turn purchased a single barrel variety and another friend snagged the barrel proof bottle (123.xx proof) we both said it tastes like banana....50$ a bottle now for something that we most likely will be looking at for a long time without drinking much more. My favorite all time is Weller 12 year (39.99 retail), and in the higher proof arena I really enjoy Noah's Mill (113 ish proof). Personally I'm not a YUGE fan of the 120 plus proof stuff but I've learned that as most folks get older (insert millennial reference) they gain an appreciation for the higher proof as well as scotch. Says my father in law who is approaching 70 and loves it.

It's been said "don't spend more than $50 on a bottle" I can see that if you're strictly paying retail. For brands/bottles that have a special meaning or experience associated I can see spending more money (insert 1911 reference) Locally a few shops get the Weller, some one off bottles and unique things, again that's a 50-75$ gamble on a Bourbon that may taste like banana. As we've seen here, there also seems to be a insane fluctuation on prices across this country, and price increases on bottles that I couldn't bring myself to buy again. We paid 27$ for Clyde Mays Alabama about a year ago.....now it's fetching $48 for something the wife and I use to introduce people to bourbon who don't want to taste bourbon if you catch my drift.

Some have a collection of Bottled in Bond, based on proof, flavor profile, mash bill: we go by what we like to drink and what mixes well in an old fashioned. I like mine with a few drops of water or a whiskey stone, wife takes hers neat.

I'll work on a reply with a few categories of the stuff today, body is recovering from a decent fire at work and I'm staring at Netflix today before I head back in tomorrow.

Last edited by Larry Sellers; 01-06-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Site Supporter
    A belated and welcome Christmas present

Name:  IMAG0036.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  20.1 KB

@blues based on how you've talked about Elijah Craig, I went and bought their 12 year small batch and some kind of Christmas special release (looked to be another 12 year but this one was hand select and had a barrel serial number assigned to it).
    Having it neat, at room temp(how I normally have a decent whiskey) I found it to be a little more 'bite-y' than Buffalo Trace or Woodford Reserve (my 2 favorites right now). Those 2, for me, have a more smooth flavor and less after bite.

Different strokes and all.

User Tag List