Page 102 of 242 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2411

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thanks, O P. My local shop never really knows which of the "hard to get" bottles they'll be allocated by the state run ABC system so it's a crap shoot at best. The fella did mention that they get the 107 in from time to time. I'll check back soon.
    The Weller is good stuff for sure.

Wonder if his might be more your taste? A bit harder to find, and it definitely needs ice for me. Love the flavor.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/2017...el-proof-b517/

Personally, I prefer wheated whisky (except for Blanton’s) but I’m not faithful when it comes to drink......
    Last edited by LSP552; 01-05-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    JSG4...I admire your style and your sig line, just sayin.
    Thanks! The sig line is from one of Richard Stark's Parker novels, which are worth a read if crime noir is your thing. My avatar is from the graphic novel adaptations.

To go off topic for a moment, the first lines of the novels follow a particular pattern, and are (IMHO) pretty cool...

Hunter (December 1962): “When a fresh-faced guy in a Chevy offered him a lift, Parker told him to go to hell.”
    The Man With the Getaway Face (March 1963): “When the bandages came off, Parker looked in the mirror at a stranger.”
    The Outfit (September 1963): “When the woman screamed, Parker awoke and rolled off the bed.”
    The Mourner (December 1963): “When the guy with the asthma finally came in from the fire escape, Parker rabbit-punched him and took his gun away.”
    The Score (July 1964): “When the bellboy left, Parker went over to the house phone and made his call.”
    The Jugger (July 1965): “When the knock came at the door, Parker was just turning to the obituary page.”
    The Handle (February 1966): “When the engine stopped, Parker came up on deck for a look around.”
    The Seventh (March 1966): “When he didn’t get any answer the second time he knocked, Parker kicked the door in.”
    The Rare Coin Score (1967): “Parker spent two weeks on the white sand beach at Biloxi, and on a white sandy bitch named Belle, but he was restless, and one day without thinking about it he checked out and sent a forwarding address to Handy McKay and moved on to New Orleans.”
    The Green Eagle Score (1967): “Parker looked in at the beach and there was a guy in a black suit standing there, surrounded by all the bodies in bathing suits.”
    The Black Ice Score (1968): “Parker walked into his hotel room, and there was a guy in there going through his suitcase laid out on his bed.”
    The Sour Lemon Score (1969): “Parker put the revolver away and looked out the windshield.”
    Deadly Edge (1971): “Up here, the music was just a throbbing under the feet, a distant pulse.”
    Slayground (1971): “Parker jumped out of the Ford with a gun in one hand and the packet of explosive in the other.”
    Plunder Squad (1972): “Hearing the click behind him, Parker threw his glass straight back over his right shoulder, and dove off his chair to the left.”
    Butcher’s Moon (1974): “Running toward the light, Parker fired twice over his left shoulder, not caring whether he hit anything or not.”
    Comeback (1997): “When the angel opened the door, Parker stepped first past the threshold into the darkness of the cinder block corridor beneath the stage.”
    Backflash (1998): “When the car stopped rolling, Parker kicked out the rest of the windshield and crawled through onto the wrinkled hood, Glock first.”
    Flashfire (2000): “When the dashboard clock read 2:40, Parker drove out of the drugstore parking lot and across the sunlit road to the convenience store/gas station.”
    Firebreak (2001): “When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man.”
    Breakout (2002) : “When the alarm went off, Parker and Armiston were far to the rear of the warehouse, Armiston with the clipboard, checking off the boxes they’d want.”
    Nobody Runs Forever (2004): “When he saw that the one called Harbin was wearing a wire, Parker said, ‘Deal me out a hand,’ and got to his feet.”
    Ask the Parrot (2006): “When the helicopter swept northward and lifted out of sight over the top of the hill, Parker stepped away from the tree he’d waited beside and continued his climb.”
    Dirty Money (2008): “When the silver Toyota Avalon bumped down the dirt road out of the woods and across the railroad tracks, Parker put the Infiniti into low and stepped out onto the gravel.”

To get back on topic, I'll offer...

The Handle (1966): "Parker made the martini with the maximum of gin and the minimum of vermouth, and added an olive from a jar of them in the refrigerator. For himself he splashed some I. W. Harper over ice."
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    The Weller is good stuff for sure.

Wonder if his might be more your taste? A bit harder to find, and it definitely needs ice for me. Love the flavor.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/2017...el-proof-b517/

Personally, I prefer wheated whisky (except for Blanton’s) but I’m not faithful when it comes to drink......
    Thanks, Ken. I don't believe I've ever sampled EC's higher end (and proof) offerings.

I believe I saw Blanton's on the shelf when I was there recently, at, I believe, $60.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Blanton’s; don’t really love it. Instead, I will spend the $$ on Basil Hayden’s.

BTW, just tried the Hayden’s Dark Rye...interesting. Needs an ice cube to cut through the sweet finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuin View Post
    Blanton’s; don’t really love it. Instead, I will spend the $$ on Basil Hayden’s.

BTW, just tried the Hayden’s Dark Rye...interesting. Needs an ice cube to cut through the sweet finish.

It's great, truthfully I've been underwhelmed by some of the "top shelf" bourbons people rave about. I enjoy Blanton's but if you told me that it was going to cost me 100$ a bottle I'd have no difficulty passing on it. The hunt is fun, but the company is usually best. Some sub $20 bottles are very good

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

When I had a glass of Basil Hayden's the other day, it reminded me quite a bit of Tullamore D.E.W. Irish whiskey which I had had the evening before. (They're both 80 proof as well.)

I don't know if I'll feel that way next time or not but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    It's great, truthfully I've been underwhelmed by some of the "top shelf" bourbons people rave about. I enjoy Blanton's but if you told me that it was going to cost me 100$ a bottle I'd have no difficulty passing on it. The hunt is fun, but the company is usually best. Some sub $20 bottles are very good

Good point. What's your favorite $20 bottle (give or take a couple bucks). So far, mine is Old Grandad bonded ($22 locally).
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuin View Post

I received one of those as a Christmas present. Warmed up a little it was awesome on a sore throat.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Good point. What's your favorite $20 bottle (give or take a couple bucks). So far, mine is Old Grandad bonded ($22 locally).
    If we poke around we can find old grand dad 114 and very old Barton for that price range.

Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    If we poke around we can find old grand dad 114 and very old Barton for that price range.

Oooh my son has been talking about that 114. Haven't come across it yet. Must set my mind to it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List