Page 193 of 241 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

I went with the Elijah Craig for my first Bourbon. It was a bit sharp at first, but it smoothed out after a bit. Quite enjoyable. I drank it while burning some meat. Very nice afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    Henry McKenna 10 year. Elijah Craig. Knob Creek.

Those are some of my favorites.

Weller 107, but it's doubtful you can find it for $45 these days. I paid $25 for my last bottle found in the wild but that was a special situation.

I'll be trying this next.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Since you are in Texas, I would try either the Balcones Baby Blue or Balcones Lineage.

Name:  20210206_141126.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  65.1 KB
    Last edited by sparkyv; 02-06-2021 at 07:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Snooping around TotalWine on Saturday and one of the employees recommended the Redemption Wheated as a "ringer" for Weller 12.

Me:

After a few minutes talking Bourbons and getting a feel for what she liked, finding her tastes compatible with mine, I took a bottle home. While I won't confirm the Weller 12 comparison, I did like this Bourbon and would definitely recommend it to people who like wheated bourbons.

Sipping it neat at garage temperature (the bottle sat on my garage floor for a few hours ~55'F), there was a noticeable tingle on the tongue that was partly alcohol (96 proof) and partly spice. Some cinnamon definitely, some vanilla. A bit on the lighter/thin side for mouth feel, but not at all off-puttingly so.

I find some Bourbons don't take well to ice/water and some require it. After adding a few CHIPS (not cubes) of ice and swirling, the distracting tingle went away and the flavors opened up very nicely. Paired very well with the Sutliff Vanilla Custard I was smoking.

Name:  13376472907806.png
Size:  61.9 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Sipping it neat at garage temperature (the bottle sat on my garage floor for a few hours ~55'F), there was a noticeable tingle on the tongue that was partly alcohol (96 proof) and partly spice. Some cinnamon definitely, some vanilla. A bit on the lighter/thin side for mouth feel, but not at all off-puttingly so.

I find some Bourbons don't take well to ice/water and some require it. After adding a few CHIPS (not cubes) of ice and swirling, the distracting tingle went away and the flavors opened up very nicely. Paired very well with the Sutliff Vanilla Custard I was smoking.

Name:  13376472907806.png
Size:  61.9 KB
    I'm jealous of my fellow Texan from Cowtown. I wish I could taste or recognize all that and describe it. I just know I like some (Blantons/Eagle Rare) over others.

Here are some of my descriptions.

Bookers -- Damn, that was lighter fluid. I don't want any more of that, water or not.
    Turkey 101 -- Less lighter fluidy, but still on the harsh side. Probably goes well with Diet Coke. Let me try it again. No, this should go in a coke.
    Blantons -- Dang, this is really smooth and nice. It doesn't burn my tongue.
    Eagle Rare -- Boy, this is really nice too, especially with an ice cube.
    Makers -- Really sweet. Probably goes well with a Coke as well.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I'm jealous of my fellow Texan from Cowtown. I wish I could taste or recognize all that and describe it. I just know I like some (Blantons/Eagle Rare) over others.

Here are some of my descriptions.

Bookers -- Damn, that was lighter fluid. I don't want any more of that, water or not.
    Turkey 101 -- Less lighter fluidy, but still on the harsh side. Probably goes well with Diet Coke. Let me try it again. No, this should go in a coke.
    Blantons -- Dang, this is really smooth and nice. It doesn't burn my tongue.
    Eagle Rare -- Boy, this is really nice too, especially with an ice cube.
    Makers -- Really sweet. Probably goes well with a Coke as well.
    Clearly you've had the covid
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Student
    About two weeks ago:

Tonight I tried a 1.5 oz sample of Kentucky Owl bourbon, Batch 10 (120.2 proof) . It smells very close to syrup and has a few notes not unlike a pancake as Matt Porter described it, though I couldn't find the blueberry in it that he did.
    Some bottles hit the shelves of two Total Wines in my area around last week, and after a few days of cracking it open, here's some notes after letting some rest in a pour for about 15 minutes.

Nose goes past brown sugar or caramel and still goes into syrup territory. Compared to the sample which had time to open up for about a month, the alcohol smells a bit stronger so it takes a bit of swirling to look for something baked-pastry again, but it's there.

First sip is where I finally notice the something fruity or berry that Porter was talking about, but also the syrup a little more oakey too on the front. I'm fine with that since it dissipates pretty quick into spices on the back.

Continued sipping makes the oakeyness more noticeable but it's not obnoxious and there's still plenty of sugar and fruity. Finishes aren't as strong or long as other bourbons I've had at 120 proofs (there's no Kentucky hug here, or at least none that sinks as low as the sternum ) but there's some cinnamonish or burnt sugar or barrel char that isn't as drying or cloying as any of the Elijah Craig barrel proofs I've had.

For about 250 after tax, my thinking is that I'd never be able to find it for 150 retail which means it would only be obtainable at like 400+ secondary. It's probably got the most unique profile among many great examples (like Smoke Wagon) of what the current state of blending can accomplish, I like it better than Stagg Jr. or ECBP or any of the other barrel-strength offerings I've had, and even if something like a BTAC might beat it, at least I can actually get it with considerably less expense or legwork. This isn't quite what I would consider a once-a-year or special occasion drink, but even if it was 150 I think it would still be nicer than a Friday night/weekend treat. Maybe once a month?

Name:  20210211_223146.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  39.3 KB

Standing offer to any p-f members in Arizona who wanna try some: I'll give you a 2-ounce sample to decide for yourself if I can hand it off in person.
    Last edited by Yung; 02-12-2021 at 01:44 AM.

Student
    Even if you ignore the price point, I think Old Grand Dad 114 holds its own pretty well against EH Taylor small batch AND single barrel if it doesn't at least edge them out. Some folks don't like the peanut presence in Beam products though.

Also, here's Matt Porter's final review of KO Batch 10. Don't let his humor or note descriptions put you off, he's got a finely tuned nose and palate, and he's working with Bardstown Bourbon Company on things that will be coming out later this year.
    Last edited by Yung; 02-13-2021 at 01:53 AM.

What’s the going price in Old Granddad 114?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    NC has it listed at $29.95. (State sets prices.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Even if you ignore the price point, I think Old Grand Dad 114 holds its own pretty well against EH Taylor small batch AND single barrel if it doesn't at least edge them out. Some folks don't like the peanut presence in Beam products though.

Also, here's Matt Porter's final review of KO Batch 10. Don't let his humor or note descriptions put you off, he's got a finely tuned nose and palate, and he's working with Bardstown Bourbon Company on things that will be coming out later this year.
    Agreed.

And if you consider the availability/price of OGD 114, it's even "better", so to speak.

EH Taylor Small Batch is an excellent Bottled In Bond Bourbon at $40/bottle. But it's become so difficult to find at "regular" price, I stopped looking.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Less than $25/bottle in my AO.

User Tag List