Page 187 of 241 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Student
    Looks like I've won a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout.

Whiskeytubers appear to be a fairly small but tight-knit community. I've only been following them for about a month now but it seems to be a fairly common practice for them to hold giveaways during livestream sessions, usually entered by sending in a superchat comment.

I've been told that I will also be getting a prize pack of samplers which will include some of what was drank during the stream. Given that tonight they had Stagg Jr. Batch 15, 12, Old Carter, and several other coveted pours, I think this is a very good start to the year, especially since I can count the number of times in my life I've won something by chance on one hand.

Student
    Visited four of my local mom-and-pops yesterday, two after day shift and two after evening shift. At this point they've been a better experience than any Total Wine or Bevmo's I've been to, which every location in Maricopa County.

When I was picking yet another Early Times bonded at my neighborhood shop, which is across the street from the cemetery where my dad and grandparents are buried, the owner popped into the back for a minute and showed me a bottle of Weller SR for less than $30, which I accepted out of appreciation for the gesture rather than its contents. I'm going to bring him and one of the guys at the new Trevor's in south Scottsdale (LHS, that someone at Trevor's seems to know their rum and I mentioned to him what you said about Jamaican pot still) a sample of the bonded Lee W. Sinclair by Spirits of French Lick, which is from Indiana but very much NOT sourced by MGP. In fact, it's not sourced at all.

Couldn't wait, and also got a bottle of batch 15 for a little over double the suggested retail, at $120. Tasting it, I honestly like 14 a smidge better because that's got a bit more cherry, but frankly I'd pick up any Stagg Jr. I could find for the price point I paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Visited four of my local mom-and-pops yesterday, two after day shift and two after evening shift. At this point they've been a better experience than any Total Wine or Bevmo's I've been to, which every location in Maricopa County.

When I was picking yet another Early Times bonded at my neighborhood shop, which is across the street from the cemetery where my dad and grandparents are buried, the owner popped into the back for a minute and showed me a bottle of Weller SR for less than $30, which I accepted out of appreciation for the gesture rather than its contents. I'm going to bring him and one of the guys at the new Trevor's in south Scottsdale (LHS, that someone at Trevor's seems to know their rum and I mentioned to him what you said about Jamaican pot still) a sample of the bonded Lee W. Sinclair by Spirits of French Lick, which is from Indiana but very much NOT sourced by MGP. In fact, it's not sourced at all.

Couldn't wait, and also got a bottle of batch 15 for a little over double the suggested retail, at $120. Tasting it, I honestly like 14 a smidge better because that's got a bit more cherry, but frankly I'd pick up any Stagg Jr. I could find for the price point I paid.
    Thanks for the (earlier in the thread) recommendation on the Early Times BiB.
    Finally found two bottles while out and about yesterday - will give it a go this evening.

Your Bourbon collection/selection is coming along quite nicely.

Site Supporter

Dude! You've gone from Neophyte to Conisseur in less than a pandemic. Bravo!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Thanks for the (earlier in the thread) recommendation on the Early Times BiB.
    Finally found two bottles while out and about yesterday - will give it a go this evening.

Your Bourbon collection/selection is coming along quite nicely.
    Thank you. I hope you found the Early Times as solid as I did for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Dude! You've gone from Neophyte to Conisseur in less than a pandemic. Bravo!
    I appreciate your observations.

At this point I realize I'm probably not the first one to think it would be nice if we had a pistol-forum single barrel, probably by Knob Creek.

So @Yung, I can't help but think of your post stating...

No movies, no television series, no video games, no tabletop games, no comic books, no novels. Very little music. I never cared much for sports.
    ...So, now I completely understand why you've been buying so many bottles of bourbon recently.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Thank you. I hope you found the Early Times as solid as I did for the money.

I appreciate your observations.

At this point I realize I'm probably not the first one to think it would be nice if we had a pistol-forum single barrel, probably by Knob Creek.
    Oh yeah, tasty stuff indeed.
    I've been trying any Bottled In Bond's I can find and certainly enjoying the sampling.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...So, now I completely understand why you've been buying so many bottles of bourbon recently.

The ammunition prices were the the sirens' encore.

Thought I was getting into a bourbon tasting this weekend. Wound up in a rye pairing event. Gasoline with lamb chops. Gasoline with Steak, I thought. Fantastic.

Well, it was a whistle pig pairings event and I had no idea rye could be something other than a camp fuel, but it was. The 15 year was the smoothest and Boss Hog was relatively amazing. But, when I was offered a bottle of the latter at $425 this morning (solid discount), I still had to pass.

Bill Akin, speaking of the 935, I believe, riffed off Steinbeck when he said, "You can't make a race horse from a pig, but if you work hard enough you can make a mighty fast pig." Whistle Pig is mighty fast.

Student
    Excited for Russell's Reserve 13-year barrel proof coming out some time this year.

Dave Pickerell's influence aside, I would sooner buy Buffalo Trace antiques on secondary than pay that much for Canadian whiskey. I think it might have more to do with wedding/event coordinators promoting it due to being able to pad their bills more than anything else.

User Tag List