Page 155 of 241 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Case discounts are a glorious thing.

Attachment 57811

It's 32 months old, 45.7 percent ABV, and it's $33 at Spec's. Total had more bottles but was $43 a bottle. Plus they give a 10 percent veteran discount at Spec's.

I now have enough liquor for the weekend.
    I'll be visiting Specs today, it appears. Thanks for the tip.

Any tasting notes are welcome!

ETA
    https://www.breakingbourbon.com/bour...an-single-malt
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Which Russell's?
    I really liked the barrel proof but thought the 10 was just OK.
    Creme and red label, with a red band around the neck.
    The 10 year.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I find the Single Barrel version much better than the 10 year version that I have tried.
    Last edited by O4L; 07-25-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Case discounts are a glorious thing.

Attachment 57811

It's 32 months old, 45.7 percent ABV, and it's $33 at Spec's. Total had more bottles but was $43 a bottle. Plus they give a 10 percent veteran discount at Spec's.

I now have enough liquor for the weekend.
    I have yet to try any Balcones whiskey. I need to remedy that as soon as possible.

I live in central Oklahoma and we don't have any discount liquor stores here. Most of the Balcones is pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'll be visiting Specs today, it appears. Thanks for the tip.

Any tasting notes are welcome!

ETA
    https://www.breakingbourbon.com/bour...an-single-malt
    The oak is softer on this release, the Hungarian oak barrels that Jared used have a finer grain structure than than some of the French oak barrels they have used in the past. That is one of the things I really like about Balcones, by the way. Jared, Thomas and Gabe really, really understand the deep science of the wood and building barrels.

The carmel and honey is more forward on the palate, and there is less heat on the finish, even though it's 98 proof. I think it will strike a really nice balance for people like you, me and Hizzle that like a really powerful statement, and the folks that want a softer "Daily Drinker" if that makes sense.

I tried it with two different cigars last night - both favorites for a lot of me and my friends. It went very well with both the Drew Estates Liga Privada T52, and the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. But to be honest, those two cigars pair well with damn near anything, which is why I buy them.

Oh, and they will have some more Shiner next year, it's maturing right now. This year's Mirador release went so well they are going to try and increase production for that. It's my second favorite of all of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    I have yet to try any Balcones whiskey. I need to remedy that as soon as possible.

I live in central Oklahoma and we don't have any discount liquor stores here. Most of the Balcones is pretty expensive.
    That is one of the reasons they came out with this and the High Plains and Pot Still. They wanted to come out with a more affordable and more accessible whiskey that honestly has less wood and less alcohol.

I can really understand that. I love a warmer cask strength in the winter with some comfort food, but in the heat we have in an Oklahoma or Texas summer - the low proofs are nice.

The oak is softer on this release, the Hungarian oak barrels that Jared used have a finer grain structure than than some of the French oak barrels they have used in the past. That is one of the things I really like about Balcones, by the way. Jared, Thomas and Gabe really, really understand the deep science of the wood and building barrels.

The carmel and honey is more forward on the palate, and there is less heat on the finish, even though it's 98 proof. I think it will strike a really nice balance for people like you, me and Hizzle that like a really powerful statement, and the folks that want a softer "Daily Drinker" if that makes sense.

I tried it with two different cigars last night - both favorites for a lot of me and my friends. It went very well with both the Drew Estates Liga Privada T52, and the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. But to be honest, those two cigars pair well with damn near anything, which is why I buy them.

Oh, and they will have some more Shiner next year, it's maturing right now. This year's Mirador release went so well they are going to try and increase production for that. It's my second favorite of all of theirs.
    "Pardon me, but do you know @SeriousStudent?"

"But of course!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

LOL @blues.

A few years ago, Balcones did something really neat. They set up a Masters Course on distilling, and asked people to apply. They picked 12 people from across the country. I was one of the 12.

We spent a year going from grain to glass. How to pick grains, how the malting process works, still design, picking hearts cuts, wood and barrel design, and on and on. Days of training on how to actually taste and use your nose.

They do not use a gas chromatograph like bigger distilleries - they taste the new make to determine when to make the hearts cut. So you get to taste the virgin spirit hot out of the condenser.

I will tell you that tasting 165 proof rye spirit that is barely cooled above boiling is a religious experience. It's delicious, but frankly too dangerous to sell to the general public.

The most fun part was the graduation class. We have drawn samples from 24 different barrels, that we tasted and did sampling notes. Then you design a statement that you want to make based on the stocks from those glasses.

Each student creates a pair of bottles - "Gee, I want 20 percent of sample 12, then 65 percent of sample 6, and then water to complete and open up the nose." So each student ended up with a pair of bottles that were unique in the world.

Here's my two:

Name:  master 1.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  43.7 KB

The one on the left is actually the only bottle of cask-strength Mirador in the world. I'm saving it for next year's Tac-Con. It was intended for this year, but we all know about that. We'll have tastings and cigars here at Rancho Serious for my good friends.

The second bottle has stock from their "1" Texas Single Malt, along with some whiskey from an experimental batch they did where the stock was aged in American oak for 20 months, then finished in a cask made from Texas Mesquite. Those three barrels were insanely expensive (over $3000 each), and that whiskey has never been publicly released. Imagine the flavor profile and nose of a very nice rye whiskey, but without the burn on the end.

Each bottle gets signed by Jared Himsteadt, the Master Distiller at Balcones who taught the classes. They also put the student's name on it. It's like your drinkable diploma.

Name:  master 2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  45.7 KB

By the way, Whisky Magazine named him Master Distiller of the Year in 2019, and Balcones as Brand Innovator of the Year. I got him a birth year bottle of Armagnac and some Cuban cigars as a present.

They are just super nice people.

@SeriousStudent

You are way, way, way out of my league when it comes to spirits...and truth be told, fine firearms. Probably cigars as well.

That said, being a man of reasonably simple / humble requirements, I tend to be satisfied with liquor if I like the way it tastes (and its effects), and with firearms if they were what I grew comfortable with during those years while still gainfully employed. And cigars, again what I'd go out and smoke with my Cuban born detective cohorts in Miami of a Friday afternoon.

I'm sure I'd enjoy raiding both your liquor cabinet and gun safe for an unmatched experience...and then return to simplicity for sanity's sake (in my case).

Meant totally with appreciation, not envy nor sarcasm (in the least).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

LOL @blues.

A few years ago, Balcones did something really neat. They set up a Masters Course on distilling, and asked people to apply. They picked 12 people from across the country. I was one of the 12.

We spent a year going from grain to glass. How to pick grains, how the malting process works, still design, picking hearts cuts, wood and barrel design, and on and on. Days of training on how to actually taste and use your nose.

They do not use a gas chromatograph like bigger distilleries - they taste the new make to determine when to make the hearts cut. So you get to taste the virgin spirit hot out of the condenser.

I will tell you that tasting 165 proof rye spirit that is barely cooled above boiling is a religious experience. It's delicious, but frankly too dangerous to sell to the general public.

The most fun part was the graduation class. We have drawn samples from 24 different barrels, that we tasted and did sampling notes. Then you design a statement that you want to make based on the stocks from those glasses.

Each student creates a pair of bottles - "Gee, I want 20 percent of sample 12, then 65 percent of sample 6, and then water to complete and open up the nose." So each student ended up with a pair of bottles that were unique in the world.

Here's my two:

Name:  master 1.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  43.7 KB

The one on the left is actually the only bottle of cask-strength Mirador in the world. I'm saving it for next year's Tac-Con. It was intended for this year, but we all know about that. We'll have tastings and cigars here at Rancho Serious for my good friends.

The second bottle has stock from their "1" Texas Single Malt, along with some whiskey from an experimental batch they did where the stock was aged in American oak for 20 months, then finished in a cask made from Texas Mesquite. Those three barrels were insanely expensive (over $3000 each), and that whiskey has never been publicly released. Imagine the flavor profile and nose of a very nice rye whiskey, but without the burn on the end.

Each bottle gets signed by Jared Himsteadt, the Master Distiller at Balcones who taught the classes. They also put the student's name on it. It's like your drinkable diploma.

Name:  master 2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  45.7 KB

By the way, Whisky Magazine named him Master Distiller of the Year in 2019, and Balcones as Brand Innovator of the Year. I got him a birth year bottle of Armagnac and some Cuban cigars as a present.

They are just super nice people.
    I suspect that you might just whiskey with magnificence. [emoji41]

User Tag List