Page 233 of 241 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Willett is as good as I remembered, just a touch lighter than the Old Forester.
    Good timing... I came here to post about a Willett sample that @Yung generously sent to me.
    TBH, I am not a fan of the Willett pot still bourbon in the Genie bottle. I've tried it a few times and it's just not for my taste. YMMV, of course.

In talking with Yung, he was confident that their 8 year Wheated would be a different experience. He was very right.

The Wheated 8 started out a bit spicy and you could smell just a bit of fruit over the alcohol (108 proof, IIRC). First sip was just ok, with the alcohol and spice overwhelming the palate. I set it aside and started up the grill, lit a cigar and came back to it about 15 minutes later.... Wife had come outside (80'F here yesterday) and after I took another sniff I passed her the glass and asked what she thought... "Pears", she said... "and vanilla", then she immediately took a sip and said "very nice!"... I was only slightly frowny about it, since I had not yet tasted it after waiting....

With the alcohol and spice having mellowed, there was lots of honey and brown sugar (more towards brown sugar and chocolate, than caramel), great mouth feel/viscosity, slightly fruity (pear, cherry) on the finish... Very nice and worth waiting for it to open.

Many thanks to Yung for his generosity..

I want this guys bar....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KKK262eZpY
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    A friend invited us out to a relatively new wine and spirits lounge that recently opened in the ritzy suburb of Trophy Club, TX. If you're ever in the neighborhood and want to burn through a wad of cash, the vibe is pretty cool, they have a solid selection of wines (leaning heavily towards France and Italy) and some hard-to-find Bourbons and Whiskys, including Weller 12, Antique and some great selections from Japan.

http://socialoaklounge.com/

The barkeep was generous and poured us some small samples of Yamazaki 12, Hibiki Harmony and a whisky from France that was delicious but sweet and had a name I can't remember... The Yamazaki was outstanding, the Hibiki also very nice.

First drink was a Smoked Old Fashioned (with Bulleit Rye). They mixed the drink, put it in this contraption under a glass jar with a hose connected to a small burner. Filled the burner with apple wood sawdust, lit it and pumped the glass jar full of smoke.Very entertaining. It left a good smoke note on the drink glass but not much smoke in the drink itself. I enjoyed it, but, still prefer a burnt orange peel in my Old Fashioned.

I finally had a chance to try some Laws Four Grain (straight), not having wanted to spend $$ on a full bottle until I tasted it... While I did like it, I didn't like it enough to buy a bottle at ~$60 retail)... YMMV.. Review HERE.

The food at this place was quite good... all tapas-sized plates... Surprise of the night were some phenomenal Pork Belly Buns..

Had a great time and glad we brought a DD.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Attachment 97010

Bottoms up

Student

Well, it's time to get ready for Thanksgiving.

Name:  20221111_233038.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  42.8 KB

Wanted to throw in a quick recommendation for Jim Beam Single Barrel 108 proof bourbon. $27 here. Absolutely fantastic IMO. A best buy for sure.

Site Supporter
    While my turkey and pork was on the smoker yesterday I took the opportunity to light up the fire pit and enjoy a cigar and another sample that @Yung sent me. (Thank you Sir! )

Wild Turkey Masters Keep One, 101 proof. I prefer my spirits to be at cellar temperature, a bit warmer than red wine, sorta. So the mid-50s temps were a good opportunity to let this one breathe a bit while it cooled off, without any need for ice or other intervention...

This One is a mash-up between some 9-10 and 14yo barrels. Wife and I both really enjoyed this. Great layers of flavor, great mouth feel and a very long finish... Good review HERE.

First Padilla cigar I've smoked. This Series 68 was described as more on the spicy side but I found it nicely medium. The roll was slightly loose, which made for a cooler smoke and that may have helped it mellow a bit. Also made it very nice and tender to chomp on while smoking. Would definitely buy this one again.

Name:  WT MK One.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  89.3 KB

Picked up a couple of bottles of bourbon earlier this week. I took a chance on each as I wanted to try something new. Neither is of the sweet variety, both have some spice and a little of the rye bite. The Yellowstone won a gold medal at the SF World Spirits Competition this year...and the Blade & Bow won the same a few years back. I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other.

On the whole, I still prefer McKenna, or the JTS Brown which my friend @CWM11B graciously gifted me last year.

(Images glommed from the web.)

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Picked up a couple of bottles of bourbon earlier this week. I took a chance on each as I wanted to try something new. Neither is of the sweet variety, both have some spice and a little of the rye bite. The Yellowstone won a gold medal at the SF World Spirits Competition this year...and the Blade & Bow won the same a few years back. I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other.

On the whole, I still prefer McKenna, or the JTS Brown which my friend @CWM11B graciously gifted me last year.

(Images glommed from the web.)

That is…amazing.

I literally bought exactly these two bottles, while we were in Louisville this summer. The lady told me they were very good.

I gave the Blade and Bow away as a gift, and just last night shared out the Yellowstone to my extended family, right to the last drop. It was extremely drinkable.

Cheers @blues

That is pretty friggin' weird.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

NH liquor is offering Yellowstone.
    What does it taste like fellas?
    What would you compare it to in taste?

Bought a Knob Creek today :
    The original, 100 proof.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List