Page 174 of 241 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2407

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Student
    Those bonded bourbons at first glance seem to be solid quality choices for the money. I'm not sure that indicating it on the bottle is mere marketing even if tax stamps ceased to be required or issued after 1982, and I'd be curious to learn more about why some makers intentionally omit such despite meeting the criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    I've only had a couple so far but from what I hear they are all good.
    You might read some reviews to see if any particular batch that is available to you is recommended over the others.
    Good advice. Some of the online feedback I've seen regarding suggested retail price ($90/2020 vs $65/2017) seems to resemble criticism of Baker's. With this kind of variation between batches in the space of a few years it seems more prudent to order glasses at a local bar before committing to a bottle.

On that note, a place called Trevor's is going to have its grand opening downtown later this month. Looks maybe a little too upscale but it's post-90s Scottsdale so I guess I shouldn't expect any different.
    https://www.trevorsliquor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Those bonded bourbons at first glance seem to be solid quality choices for the money. I'm not sure that indicating it on the bottle is mere marketing even if tax stamps ceased to be required or issued after 1982, and I'd be curious to learn more about why some makers intentionally omit such despite meeting the criteria.

Good advice. Some of the online feedback I've seen regarding suggested retail price ($90/2020 vs $65/2017) seems to resemble criticism of Baker's. With this kind of variation between batches in the space of a few years it seems more prudent to order glasses at a local bar before committing to a bottle.

On that note, a place called Trevor's is going to have its grand opening downtown later this month. Looks maybe a little too upscale but it's post-90s Scottsdale so I guess I shouldn't expect any different.
    https://www.trevorsliquor.com/
    I'm a fan of Bourbon and have been for a long time (used to buy ORVW 12 year by the case at $40 bottle as my regular...).
    Having said that, there is lots of bullshit, smoke & mirrors and general fuckery in the bourbon market.

An excellent source, if you're interested in all things bourbon is anything written by Charles Cowdery.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/

These two Cowdery books are excellent (in my opinion):
    Bourbon, Straight: The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey
    Bourbon, Strange: Surprising Stories of American Whiskey

While I enjoy a fancy-schmancy Van Winkle bourbon on occasion, some of my regulars, which I recommend without reservation are the following:

Makers Mark
    Makers Mark Cask Strength
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Evan Williams Bottled in Bond
    Very Old Barton (100 proof)
    Wild Turkey 101 Rye

Criteria for BIB...

To be labeled as bottled-in-bond or bonded, the liquor must be the product of one distillation season (January–June or July–December) by one distiller at one distillery.

It must have been aged in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years and bottled at 100 (U.S.) proof (50% alcohol by volume).

The bottled product's label must identify the distillery where it was distilled and, if different, where it was bottled.

Only spirits produced in the United States may be designated as bonded.
    I would imagine that even if a whiskey meets the other requirements, that the part about being "aged in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years" is the reason most aren't legally "Bottled In Bond".

Site Supporter
    I much prefer the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel over the 10 year if you can find it.

I am also a big fan of the Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 proof.

I'm drinking on a bottle of Russell's single barrel now. I don't think it's worth the price. Which surprised me because I think the plain ol cheap Russell's is a good deal.

The single barrel Knob Creek on the other hand is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I'm drinking on a bottle of Russell's single barrel now. I don't think it's worth the price. Which surprised me because I think the plain ol cheap Russell's is a good deal.

Both the RR SiB and KC SiB that I have now are both store pick barrels from the same place. All I can say is that the guy that picks these barrels sure has great taste in bourbon.

Tasting both versions of the RR side by side is like a daylight to dark difference to me.

Unfortunately I only bought one bottle of that particular RR SiB store pick. If I had only known how good it was I would have bought several more. I never thought I would enjoy a WT product so much.

Student
    I would imagine that even if a whiskey meets the other requirements, that the part about being "aged in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years" is the reason most aren't legally "Bottled In Bond".
    I'm under the impression that current bond labeling requirements under Title 27 CFR Section 5.42 cut out the federal warehouse part.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/5.42
    (3) The words “bond”, “bonded”, “bottled in bond”, “aged in bond”, or phrases containing these or synonymous terms, shall not be used on any label or as part of the brand name of domestic distilled spirits unless the distilled spirits are:

(i) Composed of the same kind of spirits produced from the same class of materials;

(ii) Produced in the same distilling season by the same distiller at the same distillery;

(iii) Stored for at least four years in wooden containers wherein the spirits have been in contact with the wood surface, except for vodka, which must be stored for at least four years in wooden containers coated or lined with paraffin or other substance which will preclude contact of the spirits with the wood surface, and except for gin, which must be stored in paraffin-lined or unlined wooden containers for at least four years;

(iv) Unaltered from their original condition or character by the addition or subtraction of any substance other than by filtration, chill proofing, or other physical treatments (which do not involve the addition of any substance which will remain incorporated in the finished product or result in a change in class or type);

(v) Reduced in proof by the addition of pure water only to 100 degrees of proof; and

(vi) Bottles at 100 degrees of proof.

I'm under the impression that current bond labeling requirements under Title 27 CFR Section 5.42 cut out the federal warehouse part.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/5.42
    That may be true. It is something that I haven't looked into or considered.

I suppose that even without that requirement it lets the consumer know more about what they are getting with a BIB over some other options when there is not a lot of disclosure and some outright deception involved in many brands it seems.
    Last edited by O4L; 12-05-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post

Thanks for making me not feel bad about not buying my liquor store's single barrel Russell selection due to budget.

OTOH, I am so happy I brought some Larceny single barrel there. Goddamn. Soooo tasty. My wife sent me back to buy a bottle for my dad, my oldest stepson, and one more "for the house" after drinking it. 😁 I love a good wheated bourbon.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    For anyone with Prime, this documentary is free now and then, and definitely worth the watch.

https://www.amazon.com/Neat-Story-Bo...o%2C238&sr=1-2
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

One of my former captains bought me a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof. Shared it with h8m and a few close friends over a few late night solve the worlds problems sessions. It was amazing and I would highly recommend it if you can find it.

Wife and I went to a restaurant last night that had a good whiskey selection. I noted that they had Bookers while we were waiting for our table. I have never had a chance to try it so I ordered a double neat. I honestly didn’t know it was cask strength. It had a heavy vanilla smell to me. My wife thought it had a little bit of a black licorice smell. Neither of us thought it smelled like a high proof whiskey. The bite caught me by surprise. I really liked it but if I had a choice I would take EC every time.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List