Page 109 of 241 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Picked up an Evan Williams 1783 today to give it a try. While there, the owner advised that her rep for the Weller's brand said expect the price on the Antique to double or triple in the next few months. She is expecting a case next week at the regular price. I plan on stocking up when she gets it.
    They rarely ever get Weller's in at my local ABC. I'm gonna have to keep an eye out to try to pick some up.

Did sit with a glass of Buffalo Trace last night while ruminating on the topic. (It helped.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Was in Austin for a night this week.

Austin - - > Hipster - - > Whiskey Bars = Tasting Opportunities

Best of the evening, by far, was the Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky. What a great surprise. A Japanese Whisky that not only is NOT a punch in the face, but actually has a lot of Rum flavors. A little sweet, a middle ground between bourbon and a non-peaty Scotch. Very, very good.

Wife really liked the Ranger Creek 44 Rye. I thought it was good, but not great. Worth a try.

Elijah Craig 12 year barrel select was excellent, as you would expect.

We also turned our colleagues on to some Texas made spirits. Balcones Baby Blue was a big hit with the Whisky lovers. The Bourbon folks liked TX.

Wish I had another night in town to do some more tasting.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Was in Austin for a night this week.

Austin - - > Hipster - - > Whiskey Bars = Tasting Opportunities

Best of the evening, by far, was the Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky. What a great surprise. A Japanese Whisky that not only is NOT a punch in the face, but actually has a lot of Rum flavors. A little sweet, a middle ground between bourbon and a non-peaty Scotch. Very, very good.

Wife really liked the Ranger Creek 44 Rye. I thought it was good, but not great. Worth a try.

Elijah Craig 12 year barrel select was excellent, as you would expect.

We also turned our colleagues on to some Texas made spirits. Balcones Baby Blue was a big hit with the Whisky lovers. The Bourbon folks liked TX.

Wish I had another night in town to do some more tasting.
    Nikka is next on my list to get, on a japanese kick lately

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Nikka is next on my list to get, on a japanese kick lately

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Very un-Japanese, in my limited experience. Very excellent.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I tried some Weller 12 yr tonight at the local BBQ joint. Was impressed. A bit more complex than Weller Special Reserve, and a nice flavor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Picked up an Evan Williams 1783 today to give it a try. While there, the owner advised that her rep for the Weller's brand said expect the price on the Antique to double or triple in the next few months. She is expecting a case next week at the regular price. I plan on stocking up when she gets it.
    I bought some of the 1783 today too, on the advice of the guy at the store. I'm hoping it's not too sweet -- I'm interested to know your impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I bought some of the 1783 today too, on the advice of the guy at the store. I'm hoping it's not too sweet -- I'm interested to know your impressions.
    I had it neat last night and tried it on the rocks tonight. Personally, I don't think I would buy it again. It is just ok, and I don't find myself wanting for more. In comparison to Weller's Special Reserve or even the Evan Williams Bottled in Bond I found this to be weak and thin, in fact a little watery. Tastewise, I found it to be caramel like with some oak with a touch of spice, but it lacked fire.

That is strictly my opinion. I really like the whiskeys that are bold with some bite, with Weller's 107 being my favorite (at the moment).
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    FWIW.... I picked up a bottle for home consumption. Bourbon buddy came by last night for a try .... and he hated it. Too un-Bourbon for him I guess.
    I still think it's great for a change of pace. Unique.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I didn't care for the 1783. The Evan Williams Single Barrel is much better in my opinion.

Cool

Name:  20190120_104541_HDR.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  26.9 KB

Got this one from an old friend in the mail the other day for my upcoming 55th.

Pretty good!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List